Mustek MFC-600S + WinXP-Pro - non-stop detecting

Old May 11th 04, 07:39 AM
-DraconuS-

Default Mustek MFC-600S + WinXP-Pro - non-stop detecting

Hi,

I recently moved from Win-98-SE to Win-XP-Pro. With instructions from
www.mustek.com.pl and drivers from ftp.mustek.com.pl I finally installed
my Mustek MFC-600S (connected through ISA SCSI card) and it works great
but there's one problem:
System is detecting new device all the time! It is 'Mustek 1200P' and
after passing the installation steps the system still is detecting new
device. Now, if I install the new device for the second time I have two
scanners in device manager. How many times I install the new device (it is
still the same scanner) that many times it displays in device manager, so
I temporarily installed just one scanner, it works fine, but have to keep
the 'Adding new device creator' window always on my desktop. If I keep
installing or close the window it will reappear in 5 seconds. What can I
do?

Regards
Maciej Zalewski
Poland

Old May 11th 04, 04:39 PM
CSM1

"-DraconuS-" wrote in message
[...]

Just a guess.

When you get the screen in XP that gives the warning about the driver not
being signed. Click "Continue Anyway".

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old May 12th 04, 07:09 AM
-DraconuS-

Hi

Użytkownik "CSM1" napisał w wiadomości
news
"-DraconuS-" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, but I have already said I did installed everything and it worked
fine. I had to click "continue anyway" to install the drivers properly.
The problem is OS wants to install it all over and over again!
--
Maciej

Old May 12th 04, 05:20 PM
CSM1

"-DraconuS-" wrote in message
[...]

XP can be real bullheaded about not letting you change or update a failed
driver install. XP has a DLL cache (hidden) in the Windows folder, where all
the system restore functions get their files. If you try to delete the
normal files, XP restores the bad file(s) automatically.

Look in the Device Manager for the Scanner entries, if any are marked with a
Yellow mark, then delete (remove) that entry, Reboot. The Scanner should be
listed under Imaging when the scanner is connected and turned on.

If you have multiple entries, delete all, reboot. When XP asks to install
the driver, Click Cancel, until no more asking then do the next paragraph.

Try uninstalling the driver (look for remove driver in Start menu or in
Control PanelAdd Remove Programs), then reboot the computer.
Then a clean install of the driver. Reboot.

The following is a LAST resort.
If that does not stop XP asking over and over, search the register for the
scanner items. Look for any entry that says the scanner is not installed, it
may be "Installed" Yes or No. If you find one, then try changing to Yes.
Remember, backup any register entries before changing. Also, if you find
more than one instance of the scanner in the register, then backup that
entry then delete that extra entry. If you delete the wrong entry, XP will
not find the scanner. Restore then try the other.

Warning, Register editing is dangerous, you can really screw up the system.
To edit the Register, StartRunregeditenter or OK.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old May 13th 04, 08:33 AM
-DraconuS-

Hi

Użytkownik "CSM1" napisał w wiadomości
om...
The following is a LAST resort.
If that does not stop XP asking over and over, search the register for

the
scanner items. Look for any entry that says the scanner is not

installed, it
may be "Installed" Yes or No. If you find one, then try changing to Yes.
Remember, backup any register entries before changing. Also, if you find
more than one instance of the scanner in the register, then backup that
entry then delete that extra entry. If you delete the wrong entry, XP

will
not find the scanner. Restore then try the other.

I'll try the registry editing. All other 'geek stuff' does not seem to
work. Thanks for your hints&tips.

Warning, Register editing is dangerous, you can really screw up the

system.
To edit the Register, StartRunregeditenter or OK.

"You're talking to me?" [Taxi driver] )
--
Maciej

STOP: 0x8E - WINXP Pro Christo General 2 October 29th 04 12:09 AM
Problems with WinXP and 2500+ Barton frequency Mitchua Homebuilt PC's 3 October 26th 03 07:33 PM