TH7IIRaid - Upgraded CPU To 3.06Ghz but Not stable.

Old April 18th 04, 12:48 AM
127.0.0.1

Default TH7IIRaid - Upgraded CPU To 3.06Ghz but Not stable.

I just recently upgraded my CPU on my ABUT TH7II RAID board to a 3.06 GHz
Northwood with a 533 FSB.

The problem is that when I boot into Windows 98SE it freezes and locks up.
DOS is fine.

What should my settings be ?

CPU User define:

23 Multiplier
FSB = ? I tried 133 and also 100
RDRAM = 300Mhz / 400 Mhz / Auto - Didnt makae a difference.
What should my AGP clks be ?
CPU Voltage tried a few combinations. But for the moments it defaults to
1.55v

Anyone got a 3Ghz P4 Northwood in their TH7II ?

Old April 18th 04, 12:10 PM
yuma

FSB should be 133
RDRAM to 300, 400 is too far overclock with 133 FSB
And AGP/PCI should be "FIX 66/33" otherwise AGP/PCI bus overclocked too
far, I think that is your problem.
Vcore 1,7 volts in the bios and is 1,6 on H.W.M
Mine is running at FSB 144 with the above settings.

Old April 18th 04, 07:56 PM
127.0.0.1

"yuma" wrote in message
.nl...
FSB should be 133
RDRAM to 300, 400 is too far overclock with 133 FSB
And AGP/PCI should be "FIX 66/33" otherwise AGP/PCI bus overclocked too
far, I think that is your problem.
Vcore 1,7 volts in the bios and is 1,6 on H.W.M
Mine is running at FSB 144 with the above settings.

Hmm, I still cant get it the TH7IIRAID to work properly.

I managed to boot fine in Safe mode and under pure DOS I can do normal
stuff.
I can even play emulators etc.... but when I boot into windows as soon as
everything has
loaded the mouse freezes and nothing works.

Could it be the AGP speed ? Or Highpoint drivers are crashing the system ?

Settings I am using:

x 23 multiple.
133 FSB
fix PCI/AGP clks.
1.55v.
RDRAM = 300MHz.

I am using Samsung 400Mhz RAM.

My temperature is 58c IDLE which using the normal fan seems high.
My older P4 1.7 IDLE was 38c.

Old April 18th 04, 11:55 PM
yuma

Set Vcore to 1,7 in the bios and try to use the 2/4 divider for the
AGP/PCI bus, on some TH7II-raid boards the fix function don't work properly.
Almost all TH7II boards undervolt on the Vcore by approx 0.1 volts
AGP speed should be 66mhz in fix mode
Idle temp of 58c is to high, check CPU heat sink install and check for
enough case ventilation, mine is 36c idle with 144 fsb and 1.7V Vcore
The 3.06 runs warmer than the 1.7 because it consume more power.
If you used the raid drivers with-out a problem with the 1.7 than it
will most likely not giving you problems now.
I think you mean Samsung 800, I am using the same.
Which bios version are you using? you have to use the DU or EH the EH is
the latest
Are you using Raid 0?
How big is your PSU? to low PSU ratings can give the same symptom

Old April 19th 04, 12:03 AM
127.0.0.1

"yuma" wrote in message
. nl...
Set Vcore to 1,7 in the bios and try to use the 2/4 divider for the
AGP/PCI bus, on some TH7II-raid boards the fix function don't work

properly.
Almost all TH7II boards undervolt on the Vcore by approx 0.1 volts
AGP speed should be 66mhz in fix mode
Idle temp of 58c is to high, check CPU heat sink install and check for
enough case ventilation, mine is 36c idle with 144 fsb and 1.7V Vcore
The 3.06 runs warmer than the 1.7 because it consume more power.
If you used the raid drivers with-out a problem with the 1.7 than it
will most likely not giving you problems now.
I think you mean Samsung 800, I am using the same.
Which bios version are you using? you have to use the DU or EH the EH is
the latest
Are you using Raid 0?
How big is your PSU? to low PSU ratings can give the same symptom

Hi Yuma,

Thanks for the help.

I am using the latest BIOS, EH and I am using the RAID port only as extra
IDE ports.

My PSU is QTEC 550W so it should be enough, but its a cheapo one.

I will have another go at it.

Thanks.

Old April 19th 04, 02:12 PM
127.0.0.1

"yuma" wrote in message
. nl...
[...]

I got it working fine on my removable drive with windows XP.. but the
windows 98 crashes once all
the drivers are loaded cant work out why.

Anyway about the CPU Vcore, what should it be ? Using Hardware Doctor in
windows its reported as 1.52v - 1.50v
I thought these processors needed 1.55v ? To get this I put 1.67v in the
BIOS.

My CPU IDLE temperature is still 49c which is a little high.

Time for some PRIME95 testing..

Old April 19th 04, 09:50 PM
yuma

Hi 127.0.0.1

You have win 98 installed on the drive what is on the Highpoint
controller right.
Which driver for the Highpoint controller are you using?
You need matching drivers, same as bios version, you can download here
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/b370na.htm
I am using win-xp on the HPT in raid 0 with 3.51 HPT bios

The Vcore for the 3.06 is default 1.55 volt for the D1 stepping, but if
you want to be sure you have to look on the cpu heatsink, or you can
look here at inel specs
http://processorfinder.intel.com/scr...L&Cor Spd=ALL
What you did to get 1.55v in H.W.M is fine, that is the undervolt of the
board.
About the temp, are you using Arctic Silver or the pad what came with
the cooler, again check the contact of the cooler with cpu heatsink,
because 49c idle is a bit to high 42c would be more in range although
Abit is always higher with temp indication than other boards.
I have also a IC7-G and the temp indication is 10c deg to high acc to my
external temp gauge, on my TH7II-raid about 8c deg to high.
Good idea to prime test, mine is stable to 144 fsb

127.0.0.1 wrote:

. nl...