Anybody ever buy these memory kits?

Old February 21st 04, 03:25 AM
- HAL9000

Default Anybody ever buy these memory kits?

Yes, I have purchased memory from pcwonderinc. I absolutely DO NOT
recommend them. They sent me a stick of memory that was supposed to
be Samsung PC3500 CL2.5 memory. It acted like PC2700 CL2.5 memory. I
returned it. Way to big of a performance difference for me to
recommend their products - or even be neutral about the subject.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:52:46 -0500, Butterfield
wrote:

I'm shopping for pc3200 memory for my NF7-S V2 and found these guys
http://pcwonderinc.com/ddrpc3240fon.html I was wondering if anybody
bought these lower priced sticks from here and how they worked. Any
input would be appreciated.
Butterfield

Old February 21st 04, 10:20 PM
- HAL9000

The memory had no markings and the package it came in had no markings
either. This alone is very suspicious and not what you would expect
from a reputable seller.

The stick had a heat sink on it and I didn't want to remove it. So I
couldn't actually tell who the manufacturer of the memory chips were.
Nor could I tell the speed rating, such as 7 ns or 6 ns.

Remember that Micron and Samsung make slow memory as well as fast
memory.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 10:24:41 -0500, Butterfield
wrote:

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 21:25:29 -0600, - HAL9000 wrote:

supposed to
be Samsung PC3500 CL2.5 memory

Was it in fact Samsung?
Butterfield

Old February 23rd 04, 07:52 AM
- HAL9000

I did. The SPD data doesn't have to reflect the max the memory is
capable of.

Forrest

Motherboard Help By HAL web site:
http://home.comcast.net/~hal-9000/

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:51:16 -0500, Butterfield
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:20:08 -0600, - HAL9000 wrote:

So I
couldn't actually tell who the manufacturer of the memory chips were.
Nor could I tell the speed rating, such as 7 ns or 6 ns.

If you ever run into this situation again run aida32 and get a report
like this... You can also benchmark the read/write speed with this
freeware program. From the feeback this site received it seems
somewhat hit and miss on bizrate.com and good on resellerratings.com.
Wish me luck...

Memory Module Properties
Module Name Nanya M2U25664DS8HA0G-75
Serial Number None
Module Size 256 MB (2 rows, 4 banks)
Module Type Unbuffered
Memory Type DDR SDRAM
Memory Speed PC2100 (133 MHz)
Module Width 64 bit
Module Voltage SSTL 2.5
Error Detection Method None
Refresh Rate Normal (15.625 us), Self-Refresh
Highest CAS Latency 2.5 (7.5 ns @ 133 MHz)
2nd Highest CAS Latency 2.0 (10.0 ns @ 100 MHz)

Memory Module Features
Early RAS# Precharge Not Supported
Auto-Precharge Not Supported
Precharge All Not Supported
Write1/Read Burst Not Supported
Buffered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
Registered Address/Control Inputs Not Supported
On-Card PLL (Clock) Not Supported
Buffered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Registered DQMB Inputs Not Supported
Differential Clock Input Supported