Motherboard selection help, please

Old October 2nd 04, 09:19 PM
seabat

Default Motherboard selection help, please

Howdy:
In the process of building a computer for my folks on the cheap,
errrr, economic side! Got the motherboard selection narrowed down
to these four and would like some input on which would be the best as
far as reliablity goes. They just use it for email, minor surfing and
marginal word processing.

ASRock K7S41GX ($42)

BioStar M7V1G 400 ($44)

DFI AZ30-TL ($39)

MSI KM266 PRO ($41)

All prices per Newegg.

Thanks

--
The Seabat
Old October 2nd 04, 10:27 PM
Dave C.

"seabat" wrote in message
Howdy:
In the process of building a computer for my folks on the cheap,
errrr, economic side! Got the motherboard selection narrowed down
to these four and would like some input on which would be the best as
far as reliablity goes. They just use it for email, minor surfing and
marginal word processing.

ASRock K7S41GX ($42)

BioStar M7V1G 400 ($44)

DFI AZ30-TL ($39)

MSI KM266 PRO ($41)

All prices per Newegg.

Thanks

The Asrock would be the best of that group. The following would be a MUCH
better deal though, even though it costs more. -Dave

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...138-234&depa=0

Old October 3rd 04, 06:20 AM
Al

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:19:16 -0500, seabat
wrote:

Howdy:
In the process of building a computer for my folks on the cheap,
errrr, economic side! Got the motherboard selection narrowed down
to these four and would like some input on which would be the best as
far as reliablity goes. They just use it for email, minor surfing and
marginal word processing.

ASRock K7S41GX ($42)

BioStar M7V1G 400 ($44)

DFI AZ30-TL ($39)

MSI KM266 PRO ($41)

All prices per Newegg.

Thanks

--
The Seabat

You might consider this Asrock for $1 more it has 2 SATA RAID channels
and 5 PCI sockets:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...157-032&depa=0

This Asrock for $3 more has 4 DDR sockets instead of 3:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...157-033&depa=0

Unless you need to keep to a small board with fewer PCI sockets, it
would give more flexibility for expanding memory and adding newer
technology hard drives.
Old October 3rd 04, 09:05 AM
dave

Got to agree with Al's post - the ASrock K7V88 is an excellent board for the
money. I'm using one right now with an XP3200+ and 512 DDR400 memory. Always
used Abit before but couldn't afford as higher spec this time so thought I'd
try the ASrock.

Of course, if it goes tit's up any time soon I may well change my opinion
;-)

David