asus mb and asus video card..asus or ati drivers?

Old December 29th 10, 02:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
dave

Default asus mb and asus video card..asus or ati drivers?

Asus P6X58D Mb and Asus EAH5870 video card.
This is a fresh install of Win7 for gaming and
multimedia. I was wondering which brand of
drivers I should use. That would be 10.11 Ati
or 8782 for Asus.
Old December 29th 10, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_3_]

On 12/29/2010 6:38 AM PT, dave typed:

Asus P6X58D Mb and Asus EAH5870 video card.
This is a fresh install of Win7 for gaming and
multimedia. I was wondering which brand of
drivers I should use. That would be 10.11 Ati
or 8782 for Asus.

ATI's for more recent updates. Does ASUS' update often? Try ATI's first.
If problems, then you can try ASUS'.
--
"Ants never sleep." --Ralph Waldo Emerson, poet
/\___/\ Phil./Ant @ http://antfarm.ma.cx (Personal Web Site)
Old December 29th 10, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Bert Hyman

In m Ant
wrote:

On 12/29/2010 6:38 AM PT, dave typed:

Asus P6X58D Mb and Asus EAH5870 video card.
This is a fresh install of Win7 for gaming and
multimedia. I was wondering which brand of
drivers I should use. That would be 10.11 Ati
or 8782 for Asus.

ATI's for more recent updates. Does ASUS' update often? Try ATI's
first. If problems, then you can try ASUS'.

ASUS often adds features to their cards that are only supported by the
ASUS version of the driver.

On the other hand, I had video problems on my old system with an ASUS
NVIDIA card that were caused by the ASUS driver and were fixed when I
switched to the stock driver, giving up those features (that I never
used and don't even remember).

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old December 30th 10, 12:24 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
dave

Bert Hyman wrote in news:Xns9E5D5E993E904VeebleFetzer@
216.250.188.140:

In m Ant
wrote:

On 12/29/2010 6:38 AM PT, dave typed:

Asus P6X58D Mb and Asus EAH5870 video card.
This is a fresh install of Win7 for gaming and
multimedia. I was wondering which brand of
drivers I should use. That would be 10.11 Ati
or 8782 for Asus.

ATI's for more recent updates. Does ASUS' update often? Try ATI's
first. If problems, then you can try ASUS'.

ASUS often adds features to their cards that are only supported by the
ASUS version of the driver.

On the other hand, I had video problems on my old system with an ASUS
NVIDIA card that were caused by the ASUS driver and were fixed when I
switched to the stock driver, giving up those features (that I never
used and don't even remember).

Thanks guys. At first glance one would assume the logical thing would
be to go for the Asus. I think that driver was dated May 2010. The Ati
one was Nov 2010 and they seemed to have one almost every month. There
was even a "pre-release" version dated Dec 2010.
I seem to remember having a bit of problem removing an Ati driver for
an upgrade. Or maybe it was the Asus one. I not quite sure, and wanted
to avoid that kind of issue. I think it didn't show up in the "Add-Remove
programs" menu.
Thanks again for your advice.
Dave
Old December 30th 10, 06:36 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_3_]

On 12/29/2010 7:17 AM PT, Bert Hyman typed:

Asus P6X58D Mb and Asus EAH5870 video card.
This is a fresh install of Win7 for gaming and
multimedia. I was wondering which brand of
drivers I should use. That would be 10.11 Ati
or 8782 for Asus.

ATI's for more recent updates. Does ASUS' update often? Try ATI's
first. If problems, then you can try ASUS'.

ASUS often adds features to their cards that are only supported by the
ASUS version of the driver.

What features? I wonder what MSI has on my two years old R4870-T2D512 OC
Radeon HD 4870 512 MB video card. I never touched MSI's video drivers.

On the other hand, I had video problems on my old system with an ASUS
NVIDIA card that were caused by the ASUS driver and were fixed when I
switched to the stock driver, giving up those features (that I never
used and don't even remember).

Aren't ASUS video drivers very old too?
--
"I like ants, in chocolate. Crunch, hummmm." --unknown
Old December 30th 10, 06:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_3_]

On 12/29/2010 4:24 PM PT, dave typed:

[...]

Pre-release? Um, where did you see that? AFAIK, ATI/AMD has public
stable version for December 2010. Yes, they do it every month for years.

I seem to remember having a bit of problem removing an Ati driver for
an upgrade. Or maybe it was the Asus one. I not quite sure, and wanted
to avoid that kind of issue. I think it didn't show up in the "Add-Remove
programs" menu.

Yeah, uninstall problems seem to be common. Worse case scenario is to
use an updated driver cleaner.
--
"When the ants unite their mouths, they can carry an elephant."
--Mossian Proverb
Old December 30th 10, 08:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Jim[_31_]

"Ant" wrote in message
news
Pre-release? Um, where did you see that? AFAIK, ATI/AMD has public stable
version for December 2010. Yes, they do it every month for years.

There's a 10.12 hotfix that add 69x0 support.

Old December 31st 10, 12:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
dave

Ant wrote in
news
be to go for the Asus. I think that driver was dated May 2010. The
Ati one was Nov 2010 and they seemed to have one almost every month.
There was even a "pre-release" version dated Dec 2010.

Pre-release? Um, where did you see that? AFAIK, ATI/AMD has public
stable version for December 2010. Yes, they do it every month for
years.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-64.aspx
Sorry...it is called a "preview"

Old December 31st 10, 01:42 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_3_]

On 12/30/2010 4:21 PM PT, dave typed:

wrote in
news
be to go for the Asus. I think that driver was dated May 2010. The
Ati one was Nov 2010 and they seemed to have one almost every month.
There was even a "pre-release" version dated Dec 2010.

Pre-release? Um, where did you see that? AFAIK, ATI/AMD has public
stable version for December 2010. Yes, they do it every month for
years.

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloa...n_win7-64.aspx
Sorry...it is called a "preview"

Oh, that's because of the new Catalyst Control Center. Consider it a
beta or whatever. :P
--
"The constant creeping of ants will wear away the stone." --unknown