Aneng M118A DMM

Old February 7th 21, 07:54 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Aneng M118A DMM

Dominates, an initial assessment, over a lowend DMM is correct at
least for some consensus. AA-rechargeable (Tenergy) work fine, likely
long enough to be reasonable, although mine are probably larger than
storefront (disposables) for an exact fit either in an tight battery
cavity (to require back battery over to be left off and the silicon
case protection cover to hold them in unless the back fold-out stand
is engaged to again expose the batteries).

Silicon cover some cheapen, although it's supple and sufficient for
better dropping the unit onto concrete than without. Probe-locks are
however missing on the case cover, so might as well keep the box.
Didn't engage the backlite but probably bleeds to the right side of
the screen, as it's already noted to do on other reviews;- as does
neither the non-contact (electromagnetic detection) work for proximity
to a line with 120V.

As for querying prior the touch sensor engagements, in hindsight
that's somewhat a logical fallacy: It is auto-ranging, so why bother
to override anything, of course within expected ranges it's rated. The
reviews, curiously, may use the manual (override) operation function,
possibly including the Chinese factory demonstration.

Stick it where it goes and knowingly be done with it reporting what
should then be quantified. All except amperage, which needs to be in
serial connection.

The meter prior, I had hooked to a 9V transformer to declare frazzled,
turns out to be self-repairing. It did not work then. Now, a few
days since, it up and does. It's clearly a case of Divine Magic. Not
to be deterred, obviously because I have an additional a multimeter to
improve upon another, I'll rewire the former to the 9V transformer
once again . . . carefully.

The Aneng M118A DMM is smaller and sufficiently cute. (The other
meter, wholly a dial arrangement, has more component provisions as
well as a temperature sensor.) Auto-ranging alone will suffice to
rationalize the cost of the Aneng, if all the better were it purchased
at $10/US, as some claim its value not so long ago, whereas anything
below would be outright thievery if not for a meter that natively
sells for $7 or near equivalence from a Chinese market.

That it works is a step forward since a decade ago when I bought the
above dial meter, presumably to continue to work might be also nice,
especially when blessed with no damn 9V batteries ever again first to
screw with.
Old February 7th 21, 10:31 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Flasherly wrote:
[...]

Well, don't blow this one up.

https://imgaz2.staticbg.com/images/o...96c46ebe2.jpeg

It's a wonder it doesn't have a copy of Tetris
in there, too. It's got all the other functions.

Paul
Old February 7th 21, 01:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 07 Feb 2021 05:31:46 -0500, Paul
wrote:

Well, don't blow this one up.

I would have already if I had. I've two amps with variable biasing, a
duet and quad tubed 6L6s. The quad if I recall correctly calls for
around a 400V working range for adjustments, perhaps higher. That has
a nice neutral sound with the tone knobs level, so I've checked it a
few times with any hint of changes from a particular quality
(low-grade Chinese 6L6) tubestock I keep around. I'm going to bet
both these meter capacities top-out the same at 600V (AC or DC), while
it's even a surer bet I didn't even so much as think, much less look,
to what that might that have been when adjusting voltages from PCB
test-points off a bias pot before.
Old February 7th 21, 06:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 07 Feb 2021 08:38:40 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

I would have already if I had.

Nevermind. Voltage bias is a lot less then I thought it was. (Been
awhile since I've looked it up to flip one.)
Old February 8th 21, 05:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 07 Feb 2021 13:48:23 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

Voltage bias is a lot less then I thought it was

I recall taking a remote IR thermometer to the tubes and read over
400F degrees, which, off the top of my head, somehow seemed convenient
enough for substitution into plate bias voltages. Just don't try that
at home.
Old February 8th 21, 06:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

Voltage bias is a lot less then I thought it was

I recall taking a remote IR thermometer to the tubes and read over
400F degrees, which, off the top of my head, somehow seemed convenient
enough for substitution into plate bias voltages. Just don't try that
at home.

The last tube circuit I worked on, the grids were off
a 120VDC or so voltage divider string. Whereas the B++
was way way higher (thousands of volts). That was a
9" diameter radar display tube with magnetic deflection.
Some of the grids were for focus. And no, never stuck a
meter on the B++, as I'd need a 100:1 or 1000:1 probe
to do that. At the time I assembled the circuit, I didn't
have a lot of instruments to work with.

Paul
Old February 8th 21, 07:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 08 Feb 2021 01:42:19 -0500, Paul
wrote:

And no, never stuck a
meter on the B++, as I'd need a 100:1 or 1000:1 probe
to do that. At the time I assembled the circuit, I didn't
have a lot of instruments to work with.

My latest is cathode-biased, whereas as those adjustments mentioned
rather or correctly are fixed-bias. So far, as I'm impressed by the
cathode-biased (an EL84 design factor), I can't really say duty cycle
and efficiency have been an issue, at least for me, other than at
least "owing" it to the fixed-bias design to respect intent, which I
do, for the measurements and adjustments accordingly provided if
swapping out "purportedly matched" tubes.