Heap of Obsolete Hardware

Old February 14th 07, 06:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Heap of Obsolete Hardware

On Feb 13, 7:32 pm, Grinder wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 13, 11:40 am, Grinder wrote:
My local public library has a pile of antiquated PCs. There might be a
couple of 486s in the pile, but suspect most are 386s. Since no one has
the courage to just discard these crappers, we've managed to find a
charity that will take any PC, "as long as it works."

Where are you located? There are a number of computer recyclers around
the country.

I'm in the middle of Illinois. Previously I obtained information about
recyclers, but the library board has been unenthusiastic about that
approach, for reasons unknown to me. They have, though, generally
agreed that offloading them to a nearby charity is acceptable. I'm just
trying to get them moved out.

I work at a computer recycler (which is also a nonprofit, and yes, a
charity), in Eugene, OR. We don't care it it works. But It's my job to
rebuild a great many systems for sale or donation to the community.
386 and 486 laptops are generally OK for grandma to play solitaire on.
But desktop machines in that class are scrap, given the abundance of
p3s and better.

Physically, machines that old usually are not in great shape, the
clock battery has usually died, and it's not usually the standard one
we see today (may be integrated into the cmos itself) , the hard
drives are way too small, and often too dead, floppy drives and cd
drives fail. Not too economical to rebuild a machine in that class.
That does not mean that they aren't valuable. Copper, aluminum,
plastics, gold, and circuit boards, among other things are resold in
bulk.

Anyway, here's a list of recyclers in your area. It can't hurt to find
out if any are also non-profits and charities, that way the concerns
of the board can be satisfied.

http://www.illinoisrecycles.org/byteback_list.html

The provenance of the hardware is such that I should wipe the drives
clean. While I'm at it, it's reasonable for me to put some sort of
basic OS on the PCs. Outside of FreeDOS, does anyone have any
candidates for those machines? Is there a simple, pared down version of
Linux that would apply?

Thanks for your suggestions.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
But that only applies to the top 486s.

Win 3.11 is about all you can do with the 386s

Win95 or MAYBE 98 should be OK for the 486s

Thanks.

Old February 14th 07, 11:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
kony

On Tue, 13 Feb 2007 19:40:16 GMT, Grinder
wrote:

My local public library has a pile of antiquated PCs. There might be a
couple of 486s in the pile, but suspect most are 386s. Since no one has
the courage to just discard these crappers, we've managed to find a
charity that will take any PC, "as long as it works."

The provenance of the hardware is such that I should wipe the drives
clean. While I'm at it, it's reasonable for me to put some sort of
basic OS on the PCs. Outside of FreeDOS, does anyone have any
candidates for those machines? Is there a simple, pared down version of
Linux that would apply?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Take care not to get stuck with these systems, confirm the
charity knows they're 386s and will accept them as-is,
providing you state that they're working.

Even then I'd resist the urge to salvage these junkers.
They're too old for reasonable use, their expected lifespan
has expired, and further maintenance is far exceeding their
actual value or usefulness. Even moreso once you consider
that you may be more able to configure and install some
stripped OS, than the recipient is to use it for the
intended purpose.

On the other hand if you had such a system that you were
familiar with, knew the particular quirks and already had a
purpose for, it might still be a bit viable... but then the
time invested is already partly spent, more a matter of
upkeep.

Old February 15th 07, 12:20 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Thanks for your suggestions.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
But that only applies to the top 486s.

Win 3.11 is about all you can do with the 386s

Win95 or MAYBE 98 should be OK for the 486s

Thanks.

Hey...
I'm going to be able to get rid of *all* my low end machines...
someone wants 12 machines for use *only* as word processors!!!

I have a bunch of P1's that will finally have a home...
if I had any 486's or even 386's I'd have a home for all of them !

Clean basement soon!

Old February 16th 07, 02:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Dan

On Feb 13, 10:40 pm, Grinder wrote:
My local public library has a pile of antiquated PCs. There might be a
couple of 486s in the pile, but suspect most are 386s. Since no one has
the courage to just discard these crappers, we've managed to find a
charity that will take any PC, "as long as it works."

The provenance of the hardware is such that I should wipe the drives
clean. While I'm at it, it's reasonable for me to put some sort of
basic OS on the PCs. Outside of FreeDOS, does anyone have any
candidates for those machines? Is there a simple, pared down version of
Linux that would apply?

Thanks for your suggestions.

You remind me that it was not so long ago we were using Windows 3.1
and 4 MB RAM on 386s, and life was going on.
I have been wondering: after all this Microsoft evolution from Windows
3.1 to Windows Vista, would one still be required to purchase the
ancient OS like Win 3.1? It were shipping in 6 floppy disks! It,
otherwise works fine, even has a low-end wordprocessor "Write" and
Paintbrush, plus all basic functionality of Windows.
I'd like someone who knows (say from Microsoft) to chip in here, e.g.,
if they sell ancient programs or even allow one to install one copy in
multiple machines.

Old February 16th 07, 02:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Dan

On Feb 15, 3:20 am, "philo" wrote:
Thanks for your suggestions.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/
But that only applies to the top 486s.

Win 3.11 is about all you can do with the 386s

Win95 or MAYBE 98 should be OK for the 486s

Thanks.

Hey...
I'm going to be able to get rid of *all* my low end machines...
someone wants 12 machines for use *only* as word processors!!!

I have a bunch of P1's that will finally have a home...
if I had any 486's or even 386's I'd have a home for all of them !

Clean basement soon!

Old machines talk makes me talk about my beloved Contura Aero 486. The
tiny notebood was the first computer I'd bought, therefore I adored it
and kept it even after buying later-model desktop machines.

It is indeed a delicate little thing, so I'd replaced about
everything--from the notorious "clutch" to the display ribbon cable to
the keyboard to the hard drive.
I even bought a Kingston 16 add-on RAM to bring it up to 20 mega, and
I could then upgrade from win 3.1 to Win 95.

Eventually i came to standstill when the display backlight went. I
still have it and I'd like to recover some cost such as the Kingston
that I'd bought for $80. I have its PCMCIA floppy, Powr brick and its
cute carrying case.

On the other hand, can I get the backlight? it's a long thingy
diameter less than a pencil.

Any takers?

Old February 16th 07, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Feb 16, 6:46 am, "Dan" wrote:
On Feb 15, 3:20 am, "philo" wrote:

[...]

You might look for the same model machine on ebay. That way you'll
have more parts.

Old February 16th 07, 05:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

On Feb 16, 6:11 am, "Dan" wrote:
[...]

Windows 3.11 has a second life in video poker machines, and other
embedded applications. Yes, Microsoft is still going after windows
3.11 pirates. Hell, they're still going after DOS 6.22 pirates.

Old February 16th 07, 07:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
CBFalconer

" wrote:

.... snip ...

Windows 3.11 has a second life in video poker machines, and other
embedded applications. Yes, Microsoft is still going after windows
3.11 pirates. Hell, they're still going after DOS 6.22 pirates.

Why would anyone in their right mind pirate DOS 6.22. If they want
those features FreeDos is available without cost, licensing, etc.
Also probably eliminates quite a few bugs.

--
http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt
http://www.securityfocus.com/columnists/423

-- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA