Installing 2nd HD (EIDE) with primary SATA HD

Old September 26th 04, 04:23 PM
Trexx

Default Installing 2nd HD (EIDE) with primary SATA HD

Hello everyone,

I have a PC with a 250Mb SATA HD as master. I have a 2nd 160Mb EIDE HD that
I want to add to the PC. Though there is a bay available for that inside
the PC (and power cable as well), the EIDE cable that I would have used to
connect the HD to the motherboard is being used for both my CDRW AND DVDRW
drives, leaving me with no way to get the data from my EIDE HD to the
motherboard. There is, however, about 5 empty SATA slots left on the
motherboard. Is there an EIDE to SATA adapter? Any suggestions on how to
get around this problem? Thanks,

Juan

Old September 26th 04, 04:40 PM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 11:23:13 -0400, "Trexx"
wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a PC with a 250Mb SATA HD as master. I have a 2nd 160Mb EIDE HD that
I want to add to the PC. Though there is a bay available for that inside
the PC (and power cable as well), the EIDE cable that I would have used to
connect the HD to the motherboard is being used for both my CDRW AND DVDRW
drives, leaving me with no way to get the data from my EIDE HD to the
motherboard. There is, however, about 5 empty SATA slots left on the
motherboard. Is there an EIDE to SATA adapter? Any suggestions on how to
get around this problem? Thanks,

Juan

If you mean an adaptor that lets you connect an IDE HD to a SATA
cable - sure. Im using two right now,

I dont have any sata hard drives and need the two connections so I
bought them. I havent priced them recently but they were fairly
expensive at newegg etc around 30+ each. I bought them on Ebay from
this guy who was selling a lot of them - they work great for around
$14 each. I dont know if they are still sold on ebay that was about 6
months or so ago. But thats the ONE class of stuff that I would buy
there. Most of the things there suck in price and you never know if
you are going to be ripped off. Various small items like the adaptors
and controller cards I saw - were selling routinely at a very good
price. Most of the other things that people always talk about --
forget it. I think they got a one time deal or were dreaming. I tend
to see prices that seem low up until the last hour or 20 min and then
they suck. A waste of time.

These were Silicon Image adaptors. You need floppy power connectors
for each one.

Old September 27th 04, 01:35 AM
Trexx

Thanks John!

It's a little more involved than I thought (I figured something like the old
9-to-25 pin serial adapter), but at least now I know that I'm not stuck with
a hard drive full of data and a fancy computer that won't take it. I
looked at a couple of sites that sell the adapter (now that I know what to
look for), including ebay. I also noticed some places sell you the whole
thing as a kit, including all the cables. However, I noticed different
types of adapters had different speed ratings... Is there anything that will
not be compatible (speed or otherwise)? In other words, something to watch
out for and avoid when making my purchase? Thanks again,

Juan

Old September 27th 04, 07:44 AM
Azaran2003

Hello everyone,

I have a PC with a 250Mb SATA HD as master. I have a 2nd 160Mb EIDE HD that
I want to add to the PC. Though there is a bay available for that inside
the PC (and power cable as well), the EIDE cable that I would have used to
connect the HD to the motherboard is being used for both my CDRW AND DVDRW
drives, leaving me with no way to get the data from my EIDE HD to the
motherboard. There is, however, about 5 empty SATA slots left on the
motherboard. Is there an EIDE to SATA adapter? Any suggestions on how to
get around this problem? Thanks,

Juan

Juan, maybe I didnt understand the inital post, but why dont you just used the
second IDE Channel for your second harddrive? Would be a damn site cheaper and
eaiser.

~A

Old September 27th 04, 11:10 AM

On Sun, 26 Sep 2004 20:35:55 -0400, "Trexx"
wrote:

Thanks John!

It's a little more involved than I thought (I figured something like the old
9-to-25 pin serial adapter), but at least now I know that I'm not stuck with
a hard drive full of data and a fancy computer that won't take it. I
looked at a couple of sites that sell the adapter (now that I know what to
look for), including ebay. I also noticed some places sell you the whole
thing as a kit, including all the cables. However, I noticed different
types of adapters had different speed ratings... Is there anything that will
not be compatible (speed or otherwise)? In other words, something to watch
out for and avoid when making my purchase? Thanks again,

Juan

Have no idea about the speed ratings - incompatibilities. I also was
wondering how well they worked but the silicon image ones I bought
work great. They some are little boards that plug into the back of the
IDE HD this one is a board of course but its encased in a little clear
plastic capsule which I prefer . You have two openings - one for the
SATA cable and one for the floppy power cable connector and thats it.

Ive tested them and they get around the what youd expect from a Maxtor
7200 IDE . I dont see any drastic drop in transfer speeds.

I did read the reviews 6 months ago when Newegg had the Highpoint
rockets or something - I think thats what they were called. There were
the usual scattering of raves with a few people who say it didnt work.

Ive used mine with a 200gig maxtor and 120 gig maxtor but then
switched them around so that now two WD 7200 40 gig drives in RAID
configuration is being used since the SATA controller can do RAID.
Once again no problems and the transfer speeds on tests show the usual
range for a RAID config using modest 40 gig 7200s which is much higher
than a single 7200 of course. I did it because I had two WDs I got on
really cheap rebate deals $20 bucks or so a piece. I did read about
Anandtech saying theres virtually NO benefit for the vast majority of
desktop users and that theres more of a risk with RAID but am too lazy
to switch it back.

The motherboard is an ASUS a7n8x deluxe. Since Ive used them with no
problems on two popular maxtors and two WDs 7200s in raid config -
they seem to be pretty trouble free - well at least these Sil Image
ones. And they work perfectly with the ASUS board.

I just happen to have the case - it says SATA to IDE Dongle - actually
no brand is mentioned and it says compliant with SERIAL ATA 1.0 specs.
No driver needed.

The only thing different about it was the need for floppy power
cables, the frosted oblong plastic case with light in it and I think
there was a sticker or it was on a chip - silicon image.