[OT] western digital hard drives and DRM...

Old December 11th 07, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franklin

Default [OT] western digital hard drives and DRM...

On Tue 11 Dec 2007 18:13:25, hummingbird wrote in ACF:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:12 '§' wrote this on alt.comp.freewa
On 11 Dec, Franklin wrote:

Sad to see WD, one of the former great names in hard drive
manufacturing, get so far behind. Nice to see Hummingbird has
lots of WD hard drives. :-)

That just shows what a ghastly person you are Franklin.
You'll be disappointed to know that I've never had a problem with
WD drives, apart from one which went wonky after 5 years of use,
and that was probably caused by intensive video recording.

Hummingbird, I really don't think we want to know about what uses you
put your digital or movie camera to while on holiday in Thailand or
Brazil. I suggest it's a topic we steer clear of here in the interests
of decency and so it might be useful if you don't give a hint of these
matters in your posting.

I have to say that a lost hard drive would give you something to occupy
your spare time rather than giving us all the highly dubious benefit of
argumentative postings and sockpuppets.

I got burned on WD drives years ago and haven't looked back. I
switched to Samsung and have been totally amazed with the quality
of the Samsung drives. I've got 6 of them from a 2.5" to a 3.5"
SATA drive. All of them are quiet, cool, quick, and most of all,
inexpensive.

Haven't had a Seagate drive in years but that's only because of my
discovery of Samsung drives.

Interestingly, Samsung are recommended by some other folks
elsewhere, so I'll probably use their drives on my next build.

Actually, Hummingbird, just between you and me, those Samsung hard
drives can sometimes be a bit too slow on some workloads. You wouldn't
want that. And sometimes Samsung uses noisy motors bought in from JVC.

On the other hand the 3.5 internal Maxtors work really well, especially
as a system drive. You can use them in parts of the cabinet which have
almost no air flow and which get really hot. You have to make sure the
hard drive's platters are properly balanced by storing data to about 75
percent of their capacity. They can sound a bit noisy but that's easily
dealt with by wrapping the drive in dense foam. The thicker the better.

Maxtors used like this are so good that there's no need to mess about
with backups or RAID or checkpoints or any garbage like that. You can
even throw away their warranty. You could try this sometime. It will
give really good results and certainly provide endless pleasure.

Heh!

--

Note: hard drive group (comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage)