UPS question

Old March 1st 07, 07:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

Default UPS question

Hi all,

Tonight at 2:30am my wife's UPS started beeping. I went into the office
and found that the "on battery" LED from the APC Back-UPS CS 350 was on.
Power was on, and my UPS had not tripped. So, I turned it off and tried
to turn it back on again. It beeped once, but no LEDs lit up. I held
the on button down until it beeped and then the "on battery" LED lit up
again, followed shortly after by the "overload" LED and the continuous
siren associated with it.

I disconnected everything from it (even though everything was switched
off, many pieces of equipment still draw some power) and tried again
with the exact same results.

I connected it to a different wall outlet, the one that my computer and
UPS are on, with the exact same results.

I removed the battery and tried again: it beeps once then nothing. If I
hold the button down it emits a continuous tone and the "on battery" LED
lights up until I release it.

The "surge only" socket will still power things even when the UPS is off.

The "replace battery" LED has never come on (the battery was replaced
about 3 years ago under an APC recall of certain batteries, so it's not
terribly old and it's only been used maybe four times in those three
years while the system was powering down).

Is this UPS dead?

TIA,

Ari

Many people around the world are waiting for a marrow transplant. Please
volunteer to be a marrow donor and literally save someone's life:
http://www.abmdr.org.au/
http://www.marrow.org/
Old March 1st 07, 07:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_2_]

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
[...]

sounds like the battery...what brand? That type of beep is a battery problem on this APC
UPS.
have the manual? if not try the web page for beep warning codes

Old March 2nd 07, 06:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
WooHoo2You

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Is this UPS dead?

I have had two UPS units do the same thing to me, the battery both times.
The first lasted 5 years the second 3.

Old March 5th 07, 05:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

"WooHoo2You" wrote:

"spodosaurus" wrote in message
Is this UPS dead?

I have had two UPS units do the same thing to me, the battery both
times. The first lasted 5 years the second 3.

I guess that means you're at least eight years old. Hmm.

___________
WooHoo2You

Old March 7th 07, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Squat

[...]

Ari,
I work for an APC reseller. What is the exact part number of your unit?

I looked at the manual for the BK 350 unit for reference.
If you go to the APC website, you can download the manual if you have lost
you original one.
Here is what I used.
http://sturgeon.apcc.com/techref.nsf/partnum/990-2084A/$FILE/990-2084A_En_REV04.pdf

The problem may be that the circiut breaker on the UPS has tripped. The UPS
has a circuit breaker similar to a standard wall outlet. This trips if the
load supported by the UPS exceeds the rating of the outlet on the UPS. (Much
like running a dryer, hair dryer Computer and vacuum all on the same 15mp
circuit.)
You also didn't indicate if the items supported by the UPS are still being
powered or not. If they are NOT being powered, my bet would be the circuit
breaker.
If you reset that and the problem goes away, reduce the number of devices
supported by the UPS (or get a larger one).
If not, I is likely that the batteries need replacement. They typically last
3-5 years regardless of the number of times the unit has gone to battery.

Post what happens, I am curious as I havea similar unit in the basement
powering my router and VoIP adapter.

Squat

Old March 7th 07, 06:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
spodosaurus

Squat wrote:
[...]

Back-UPS CS 350 (BK350EI from a little sticker on the bottom)

I looked at the manual for the BK 350 unit for reference.
If you go to the APC website, you can download the manual if you have lost
you original one.
Here is what I used.
http://sturgeon.apcc.com/techref.nsf/partnum/990-2084A/$FILE/990-2084A_En_REV04.pdf

Having a look at that now.

The problem may be that the circiut breaker on the UPS has tripped.

Checked that early on, it wasn't tripped.

You also didn't indicate if the items supported by the UPS are still being
powered or not. If they are NOT being powered, my bet would be the circuit
breaker.

It kept shrieking in battery mode and would not stop, so I disconnected
everything from it (as detailed above). Right now I have everything
going through the surge only connector. The weird thing, a day or two
later it just turned on as normal again!

If you reset that and the problem goes away, reduce the number of devices
supported by the UPS (or get a larger one).
If not, I is likely that the batteries need replacement. They typically last
3-5 years regardless of the number of times the unit has gone to battery.

That's what I'm planning on doing early next week.

Post what happens, I am curious as I havea similar unit in the basement
powering my router and VoIP adapter.

Will do.

Ari

Squat

Old March 8th 07, 07:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
WooHoo2You

"John Doe" wrote in message
t...
I guess that means you're at least eight years old. Hmm.

Math must be your strong point.

Old March 9th 07, 02:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD[_3_]

"WooHoo2You" wrote in message
.. .

"John Doe" wrote in message
t...
I guess that means you're at least eight years old. Hmm.

Math must be your strong point.

next to his smell..........