Did I get what I paid for?

Old April 7th 04, 08:33 AM
Sean Berry

Default Did I get what I paid for?

I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
yesterday.

I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
it says under "Computer":

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.49 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

What gives???
Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Old April 7th 04, 11:07 AM
Jon Back

What else did wcpuid say?
What bus speed? What multiplier?
Your motherboard bios may be misreading the chip and underclocking it.

or, it is entirely possible that your "local computer store" sold you an XP
1800.
But unless you write down ALL the information for when you talk to them, you
will be unconvincing.
You need the stepping numbers, frequencies, multipliers, etc.....

Old April 7th 04, 11:09 AM
Jon Back

oh, and this isn't the AMD overclocking group.

This is the AMD 64 group. (your XP is, sad to say, a mere 32 bit chip)

Old April 7th 04, 06:07 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:33:06 -0700, Sean Berry wrote:

I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
yesterday.

I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
it says under "Computer":

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.49 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+

What gives???
Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?

Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Look in the BIOS to be sure but it looks like you were ripped off. If the
BIOS says it's an 1800 then take the machine back and have them replace
the CPU.

Old April 7th 04, 07:04 PM

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 00:33:06 -0700, Sean Berry wrote:

I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
yesterday.

I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
it says under "Computer":

AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
1.49 GHz
1.00 GB of RAM

The speed of your processor should be one third more than what it's
running at right now. Coincidentally, increasing your bus speed by one
third will have your CPU running at it's correct speed (2.0 GHz).

Common mistake.

Old April 7th 04, 09:50 PM
Jason Cothran

"Sean Berry" wrote in message
| I bought an OEM AMD Athlon XP 2400+ processor from a local computer store
| yesterday.
|
| I am going to primarily run FreeBSD on it, but tried it with XP just for
| kicks. When I right clicked the "My Computer" icon and went to properties
| it says under "Computer":
|
| AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
| 1.49 GHz
| 1.00 GB of RAM
|
| So, I ran wcpuid and it came up with:
| Processor: AMD Athlon XP (Model 8)
| Name String: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 1800+
|
| What gives???
| Did I get ripped off, and do I now need to set some people staight?
|
| Any help here is greatly appreciated.

You likey have the FSB set incorrectly in BIOS, which will cause the BIOS to
improperly report CPU type.