Blue screens after first build

Old October 21st 04, 02:37 PM
Christo

Default Blue screens after first build

i have the following spec

AMD Athlon XP2600+
Abit NF7 nForce2 Motherboard

x2 Samsung 512 PC2100 ddr266 memory
x1 Crucial 512 Pc2700 ddr333 memory

its a dual channel board (it says its on at boot up)

i have the 266 PC2100 on one channel and the crucial 2700 ddr333 on the
other channel

Gainward GeForce FX5200 256 mb Graphics
Sony DVD/CD-RW
Maxtor 80gb HDD
floppy

The problem is i keep getting the occasional blue screen. there have been a
few messages the only one i can remember is

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

there is usllay some hex code as well like...

0x0000000a, (0xBF32000....)

the example of the above hex is not exactly how it appears, its just an
example.

it says dumping system memory please reboot

anyhow

I am running my system on a cheap 350W PSU, could this be the problem?

also the two ddr266 memory modules were purchased second hand could these be
the problem?

some people have said it could be a hardware issue (ppl at uni)

when i re boot my external BT 105 voyager ADSL modem doesnt load up
correctly, it loads up as not working, then it works when i perform a
diagnostic, it is a usb device?

can anyone please help?

i am hoping it is gonna be a PSU issue... planning an upgrade to a 400W

thanks in advance anyway to anyone that helps

Old October 21st 04, 03:57 PM
Cuzman

"Christo" wrote in message

" AMD Athlon XP2600+
x2 Samsung 512 PC2100 ddr266 memory
x1 Crucial 512 Pc2700 ddr333 memory "

Which 2600+? 266FSB or 333FSB? What are the markings on it?

What FSB are you running the CPU and RAM at? Is it asynchronous?

Old October 21st 04, 04:12 PM
Trent©

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 14:37:10 +0100, "Christo"
wrote:

i have the following spec

AMD Athlon XP2600+
Abit NF7 nForce2 Motherboard

x2 Samsung 512 PC2100 ddr266 memory
x1 Crucial 512 Pc2700 ddr333 memory

More than likely, the problem is with the memory.

Get 3 that are EXACTLY the same.

You can kinda test this by using only the 2100's.

Good luck.

Have a nice one...

Trent

Old October 21st 04, 04:36 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

"Christo" wrote in message
i have the following spec

AMD Athlon XP2600+
Abit NF7 nForce2 Motherboard

x2 Samsung 512 PC2100 ddr266 memory
x1 Crucial 512 Pc2700 ddr333 memory

You are probably pushing the lower spec memory modules too far. You can test
this 2 ways - take out the 266 modules and leave the 1 DDR333 module in and
see if everything works. OR you could leave all memory in and turn the FSB
down to 266 and try everything again. If it is all OK, then turn it up a
little at a time and see what frequency makes it unstable (or just sell the
266 modules on ebay and buy a single 1024MB DDR333 or DDR400 module)

What are the CAS timings on the memory modules - if some are cl2.5 and some
are cl3, then you will probably have trouble there. Just boot the machine
with a single DDR333 module and see if you get problems or not, then process
of elimination should identify the problem.

I am running my system on a cheap 350W PSU, could this be the problem?

I would think a 350w PSU would be fine. I run a 300w PSU with a similar
setup (older board, but 3 memory modules) and it never grumbles.

Old October 21st 04, 05:49 PM
Apollo

I tend to agree with the other replies, download and run memtest86. Try
all your mixed modules together and I bet you'll get errors, test the
PC2700 on it's own and the PC2100 on it's own to see if you have any
memory that performs error-free in your board.

Consider buying some good quality memory, you may as well get PC3200 as
there isn't really any price difference between that and lower speed
memory.

http://www.memtest86.com/

HTH

--
Apollo

Old October 21st 04, 06:03 PM
Christo

"Cuzman" wrote in message
"Christo" wrote in message

" AMD Athlon XP2600+
x2 Samsung 512 PC2100 ddr266 memory
x1 Crucial 512 Pc2700 ddr333 memory "

Which 2600+? 266FSB or 333FSB? What are the markings on it?

What FSB are you running the CPU and RAM at? Is it asynchronous?

the cpu is running at 166 mhz in the bios its a 333 fsb version

Old October 21st 04, 06:05 PM
Christo

"Gareth Tuckwell" wrote in message
"Christo" wrote in message
[...]

the CAS latencys or are different i believe, the ddr2700 33 is cl3 while
the two 266 pc2100 are cl2.5

Old October 21st 04, 06:25 PM
Gareth Tuckwell

"Christo" wrote in message
[...]

That is probably the problem then - different speeds is not too much of a
problem - they should all run at the lower speed 266, but if the timings are
different then I believe a computer will really struggle!

Old October 21st 04, 08:49 PM
Christo

"Christo" wrote in message
[...]

damn, it has been nice having 1.5 gig of ram..i really noticed a speed
difference in boot ups and gaming, looks like im gonna have to sell

Old October 22nd 04, 10:36 AM
Gareth Tuckwell

"Christo" wrote in message
[...]

Before you sell anything - confirm that this is the problem: Boot the
machine with just the cl3 stuff and make sure everything is OK, then boot it
again with the cl2.5 stuff and make sure everything is still OK. Then
finally boot again with it all in and confirm that the problem has returned.
That way, you definitely know that is the problem and you confirm that the
RAM is fine and you can sell it as working. There is loads of RAM on ebay at
the moment and it look like it all sells at a decent price, so you won't
loose too much money. I just bought myself a 1024MB module for about £80
which is a good price, but only about 25% less than new, shop price.