HP Compaq d330 ST -- which drivers ??

Old November 18th 04, 10:52 PM
Tim923

Default HP Compaq d330 ST -- which drivers ??

We have a used HP Compaq d330 ST with no warranty that appears to have
never been used. However, they wiped the hard drive clean and there
is no software that came with it. It looks like it's in the same
shape it was in when sold, no hardware added or removed.

I put on Windows 2000 Pro. However, the sound, audio, video, and
ethernet do not appear to be automatically recognized.

I found the site with the drivers:
http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...e/64_5581.html

However, under rules, the HP people could not tell me which drivers to
download for some reason. And I do not know which of the 7 video
drivers to try, etc.

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.
Old November 19th 04, 05:57 AM
Ben Myers

Your experience with Windows 2000 is typical of many Pentium 4 systems,
especially those with newer chipsets like the 865 chipset. The drivers for the
865 chipset were not written when Windows 2000 was packaged, so there is no way
the operating system could recognize the chips without drivers coming from
another source. Most name brand P4 systems today are shipped with a Windows XP
CD and a CD of the additional drivers needed to make the system operate. They
include the CDs if that is the policy of the name brand company, that is.

The system uses the Intel 865 chipset, so you should download and install "Intel
Chipset Support for Windows". Do this FIRST. Next, if the graphics subsystem
is integrated onto the motherboard, download and install "Intel Graphics Driver
for Windows 2000/XP". For audio, download the latest ADI SoundMax AC97 files.
Finally, download and install the Intel Pro/100/1000 drivers. All of these are
slightly repackaged downloads which can also be found on www.intel.com , and the
motherboard is typical of Compaq business class computers in using lots and lots
of Intel components. It may even be an Intel-designed board, manufactured by a
contract manufacturer.

HPaq's "rules" state very simply that they are selling the computer with Windows
XP, so they won't even provide any info at all about use of other operating
systems. Pretty dumb. If the computer is out of warranty, what difference does
the operating system make? You're lucky they even talked to you without
charging you $3 a minute or whatever.

Does the computer also have a Windows XP Pro Certificate of Authentication
sticker? ... Ben Myers

Old November 20th 04, 01:07 AM
Tim923

Finally, download and install the Intel Pro/100/1000 drivers. All of these are
slightly repackaged downloads which can also be found on www.intel.com , and the
motherboard is typical of Compaq business class computers in using lots and lots
of Intel components. It may even be an Intel-designed board, manufactured by a
contract manufacturer.

I got the video working. I went to intel.com and did a download
search for "Intel Pro" which came up with 70 items. Is there an easy
way to install all "Intel Pro/100/1000" drivers.

The Windows sticker of auth. was removed for business reasons.

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.

Old November 20th 04, 05:08 AM
Tim923

Take the ones from the HPaq web site... Ben Myers

OK. I installed those too.

Is there anything I need to download to get the ethernet port working.
I don't see any Local Area Connection objects in My Network Places
properties?

We have these two HP Compaq d330 ST's. We might leave 2000 on one and
install XP on another, once we get the XP disk.

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.
Old November 20th 04, 09:06 AM
Ben Myers

Start with the Device Manager under the System icon. Make sure that the Intel
Pro/100/1000 drivers are installed properly. If so, the Ethernet connection
should show up in Network Places. If not, open up the chassis and look for the
Intel Ethernet chip, 82559 or 825-something, and let me know what it is.

I've found the Intel Ethernet drivers quirky to install, whether using Compaq's
or Intel's download. The drivers need to match the chip, of course.

.... Ben Myers

Old November 20th 04, 04:08 PM
Tim923

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 08:06:47 GMT, ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net
(Ben Myers) wrote:
Start with the Device Manager under the System icon. Make sure that the Intel
Pro/100/1000 drivers are installed properly. If so, the Ethernet connection
should show up in Network Places. If not, open up the chassis and look for the
Intel Ethernet chip, 82559 or 825-something, and let me know what it is.

I've found the Intel Ethernet drivers quirky to install, whether using Compaq's
or Intel's download. The drivers need to match the chip, of course.

I went to Device Manager, and the ethernet port, a PCI port, and the
USB port all had those yellow question and exclamation marks, although
I was able to get a USB scanner working well.

The intel square chip behind and under the floppy drive reads
FW82801EB. The ethernet port is built into the board and reads
foxconn.

After the first driver didn't work for ethernet: "Intel PRO/100/1000
Drivers for All Operating Systems", I tried a second: "Intel
PRO/100/1000 Drivers for Windows 2000", but still none. There wasn't
much to the driver installation. I just had to click OK and finish.
Any idea?

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.
Old November 20th 04, 06:47 PM
Ben Myers

Tim,

First, make absolutely sure that the motherboard chipset drivers for the Intel
82801 (part of the 845) chipset are installed. Without these installed and
properly operational, you will only spin your wheels.

Next, the Foxconn connector is not a chip. A surface-mounted chip is a chip.
There should also be a second chip for the Ethernet, not too far from the
Foxconn connector in most motherboard layouts.

All the yellow exclamation points indicate that some of the basic mobo chipset
stuff is not installed, and the other device drivers depend on the mobo chipset
drivers to work at all.

As I recall, the Intel Pro/100/1000 Ethernet drivers need to be installed
manually in some versions of the driver download. In other words, you need to
go to Device Manager, reinstall the driver and find the necessary INF file for
the Windows 2000 drivers. But make sure the base motherboard drivers are fully
installed and functional first... Ben Myers

Old November 20th 04, 11:12 PM
Tim923

I called HP. Since I have the serial number from the setup menu, they
will ship me the restore disk that restores the computer to the
original operating system (XP) and settings.

-
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze8adrh/news.html (profile) --Tim923 My email is valid.
Old November 23rd 04, 03:33 AM
Tim923

Things are working well with the restore disks. They put XP Pro on
the system.

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 17th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 10th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 June 27th 04 06:21 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 25th 04 10:45 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 January 31st 04 12:44 PM