BIOS password. Ridiculously easy to reset it on Asus motherboards !?

Old August 17th 04, 12:56 PM
Bo Jacobsen

Default BIOS password. Ridiculously easy to reset it on Asus motherboards !?

What has Asus done to their mothersboards. On a number of different Asus
motherboards, the BIOS setup (and password) is reset, if the power is turned
off
when booting !!.
This is not very smart as there is always some user that does this, and we
have
to set the BIOS correctly every time. And what about the security of the
bios password, this
makes the whole thing a little silly.

With this kind of "security" anyone can go up to one of our machines, reset
the BIOS by
turning it on and off, insert a boot CD, and just copy the harddisk data to
an USB-Harddisk. And
all this WITHOUT OPENING THE PC-CASE. Totally unaccepttable !!. It should
only be possible
to reset it, using a jumper on the motherboard.

I just don't understand it. If Asus really thinks this helps users out of
trubble when they set
the BIOS wrongly, I think that they have really over done it.
On older boards this did not reset the BIOS setup, it just displayed the
fact that the cpu speed-
setting was wrong (not to smart either, as many users was prompted for a
bios-password,
which they didn't know wht to do about).

Has anyone any input about this

Med venlig hilsen
Bo Jacobsen

SystemHouse
Vesterbrogade 149, 1620 København V
Tlf: 70 21 18 70
Fax: 33 25 05 71
e-mail:

Old August 17th 04, 06:05 PM
Pete S

Got to be faulty boards/batteries, NO manufacturer is going to produce
boards
that do that.
Have a word with your vendor.
Pete S

Old August 17th 04, 06:31 PM
Bo Jacobsen

Actually we have the same problem with all of our A7N8X-VM and
A7N8X-VM400 boards, all with the latest BIOS updates. I have seen
it on many other boards, so i'm certain it applies to many other as
well. I will have to go back and check this out though.

On A7V-266 and A7V600 boards (and, as far as I remember, also on the
A7V800),
the BIOS is not reset, it just shows the "wrong cpu setting", as described
earlier.
The problem with this is that if you have machines set to auto boot after
a power-out, under certain circumstanses, it will not boot, it just
displayes the
error message (not very usefull).

Try it yourself. On the A7N8X-VM boards, you just switch off the power while
the
"Checking NVRAM" is dispalyed. Next time you boot, the BIOS is reset.

Bo

Old August 18th 04, 01:17 AM
Nobody

"Bo Jacobsen" wrote in
:

[...]

Your battery is dead.
Old August 19th 04, 10:43 AM
Bo Jacobsen

[...]

Changing the battery do not change this on any of the boards we tried
it on, besides when NOT turning off, in the described way, this never
happens. At the moment all of our running four A7N8X-VM machines, I
have testet it on, get the BIOS totally reset.

Is there anyone using A7N8X-VM and A7N8X-VM400 motherboards that
can NOT provoke this behaviour ??:

You just switch off the power while the "Checking NVRAM" is
dispalyed and the next time you boot, the BIOS is reset.

The easiest way to test it, is to first disable the "Full screen
logo" in
"Boot settings configuration" and then do the test. If the BIOS is
reset,
the Full screen logo is displayed at boot time.

Bo