A7N8X deluxe; Help setting up a LAN

Old November 18th 03, 11:05 PM
Sparks

Default A7N8X deluxe; Help setting up a LAN

Help I'm a noob, I've just got this MOBO in my second PC.
Running XP on both PC's through a Netgear router.

Why are there two types of Ethernet's on this MOBO?
Which one should I use?
What is this Bridge that also appears in the Network settings?

Many thanks
Sparks

---

Old November 19th 03, 12:21 AM
Kyle Brant

You can use either NIC for your connection to the internet. The
bridge is useful to "connect" separate networks and is of no use to
you probably at this time.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Old November 19th 03, 01:30 AM
Sparks

"Kyle Brant" wrote in message
You can use either NIC for your connection to the internet. The
bridge is useful to "connect" separate networks and is of no use to
you probably at this time.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Thanks, but just curious as to why there are two makes of NIC!?
So the bridge is like a router?
Thanks
Sparks

---

Old November 19th 03, 01:30 PM
Terry Joyce

"Sparks" wrote in message

"Kyle Brant" wrote in message
You can use either NIC for your connection to the internet. The
bridge is useful to "connect" separate networks and is of no use to
you probably at this time.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Thanks, but just curious as to why there are two makes of NIC!?
So the bridge is like a router?
Thanks
Sparks

Yep, I set up new system on kitchen table and after OS install I use a
crossover cable to link to my real system and use that to access Internet
and move files over to new system. Works very well. Network bridge is the
"router" software that make whole thing work.
Terry Joyce

Old November 19th 03, 09:06 PM
Sparks

"Terry Joyce" wrote in message

"Sparks" wrote in message

"Kyle Brant" wrote in message
You can use either NIC for your connection to the internet. The
bridge is useful to "connect" separate networks and is of no use to
you probably at this time.

--
Best regards,
Kyle

Thanks, but just curious as to why there are two makes of NIC!?
So the bridge is like a router?
Thanks
Sparks

Yep, I set up new system on kitchen table and after OS install I use a
crossover cable to link to my real system and use that to access Internet
and move files over to new system. Works very well. Network bridge is the
"router" software that make whole thing work.
Terry Joyce

Thanks.
I've got my LAN going after using and installing a seperate NIC card, though
that wasn't plain sailing either, XP didn't recognise any new hardware and
also had it listed twice under two different names in Device manager!
I shall have another look at the setup when I have time, I'm guessing I've
probably made a simple error in the IP addressing somewhere on the mobo
nics!
Sparks