Can't bypass win 2k logon prompt / over top install?

Old September 4th 05, 05:44 PM
Dan

Default Can't bypass win 2k logon prompt / over top install?

Hi,
I sold an old Dell dimension 4100 w/win 2k to a freind. Prior to
selling I'd removed my OE ID's and all other personal stuff, not sure
but I may have also deleted my wqin 2k user profile. Now when my
friend starts the PC she gets the win 2k prompt for user id and
password even tho Ui'd never set the sys up to prompt fr password. My
old user priofile ID was in the ID box. Had her try hitting enter to
bypass, trying and old password I used to use, and clearing out the
user ID field and entering no pasword but that didnt help either.
someone suggested installing win 2k on top of itself. I still have 4
diskettes I'd made labelled "win 2k setup up" discs 1-4 and the win 2k
sys CD from dell. Is there an online step by step guide to doing this
type of install as I've never done it b4 and my friend has little or
no PC experience at allll. Thanks!

Dan

Remove NOSPAM from address when replying
Old September 4th 05, 08:00 PM
Ben Myers

Before doing a reinstall, have your friend attempt to log in as Administrator
with no password. Once logged in, she can straighten everything out.

Old September 4th 05, 10:14 PM
Nicholas Andrade

Dan wrote:

[...]

There's a free Linux utility that can overwrite Win2k passwords (I had
to use it for a roommate my freshmen year of college). You boot off a
floppy and it loads linux, reads the drive, prompts you for a new p/w
and writes over the old one. I beleive it was called pwdump2; it's been
a few years since I used it, but a quick google returned:
http://www.bindview.com/Services/raz...mp2_readme.cfm
Old September 4th 05, 10:22 PM
Ben Myers

Also Petter Hagen-Nordahl's very fine and free "Offline Windows NT Password and
Registry Editor" at the following URL:

It boots up a Linux kernel and works with NT, 2000, XP... Ben Myers

Old September 4th 05, 10:23 PM
S.Lewis

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote in message
Before doing a reinstall, have your friend attempt to log in as
Administrator
with no password. Once logged in, she can straighten everything out.

crosspost removed

That's a good idea. I'm not sure about Win2K, but I know in XP Home one can
F8 into safe mode and access the administrator's account w/o a password.

You could then (in theory) go into control panel/users and either set a
password or none.

(*he says, acknowledging the sometimes significant differences in Win2K and
WinXP....)

Stew