GX110 - trying to add a CD-ROM drive - getting "Unrecognized Device"

Old August 5th 05, 01:13 AM
news.columbus.rr.com

Default GX110 - trying to add a CD-ROM drive - getting "Unrecognized Device"

I bought a used GX110 in the small desktop chasis. It didn't come with a CD
drive so I am trying to cable in a 5.25" drive temporarily just to get XP
loaded. The problem I am having is that I can't get the BIOS to recognize
this drive.

I remember from working on a couple of other GX machines last year that you
had to jumper the drives a certain way to get the BIOS to recognize the
drives. I can't find that info now and I could not find it on dell.com. I
remember something about keeping the main drive jumpered as Cable Select/CS.
That is the way it came to me.

I tried every combo I can think of on the jumpers for the CD drive but I
can't get the BIOS to recognize it. It keeps coming back with "Unknown
Device" in the BIOS.

Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!
Keith

Old August 5th 05, 01:29 AM
S.Lewis

"news.columbus.rr.com" wrote in message
. ..
I bought a used GX110 in the small desktop chasis. It didn't come with a
CD drive so I am trying to cable in a 5.25" drive temporarily just to get
XP loaded. The problem I am having is that I can't get the BIOS to
recognize this drive.

I remember from working on a couple of other GX machines last year that
you had to jumper the drives a certain way to get the BIOS to recognize
the drives. I can't find that info now and I could not find it on
dell.com. I remember something about keeping the main drive jumpered as
Cable Select/CS. That is the way it came to me.

I tried every combo I can think of on the jumpers for the CD drive but I
can't get the BIOS to recognize it. It keeps coming back with "Unknown
Device" in the BIOS.

Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!
Keith

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ondary_drive_n

Hmm. Provided there are no bent pins in the drive itself, provided the
data/IDE ribbon cable isn't damaged or bad, and provided the power connect
from the power supply is good, that leaves only the jumpering (which you've
done /CS ) and setting the BIOS to "auto" for the secondary IDE....

Stew

Old August 5th 05, 01:53 AM
Christopher Muto

what stew said plus these thoughts...
i am suspicious as to why the cd drive was missing in the first place. i
mean if it did not have a blank panel in the slot perhaps it was removed for
testing and the problem lies in the secondary ide controller on the
motherboard that the cd was once connect to. i suggest replacing the
primary ide cable with one that supports two devices and connecting both the
hard disk and the cd drive to that cables (use cs, and make the hard dish
the primary device by connecting it to the connector at the end of the
cable). this is not an ideal set up from both a performance perspective and
because of the case you have (you will not be able to reassemble the case
with this cabling configuration). but this will allow you to load the os
and help isolate the problem as being related to the secondary controller or
not.

Old August 5th 05, 03:00 AM
news.columbus.rr.com

I got it to work. I tried putting the CD on the end of the ribbon on the
secondary IDE with both set to CS and that did the trick.

I forgot about that part about using the end of the ribbon cable. I had it
on the middle connector.

This system never had the CD drive in it. (Faceplate in in place.) I am
setting this up for my young kids to play with, so I will probably just use
an external USB CD drive once I load XP.

Question: Is this a proprietary CD ROM drive? Naturally a 5.25" drive
won't work, but what kind will? I have a spare laptop drive from one of my
ThinkPads, but I don't have the correct IDE cable to fit on drive end. Is
that the kind of drive these machines use?

Thanks a lot for your help!
Keith

Old August 5th 05, 05:11 AM
Christopher Muto

there is nothing proprietary about the cd rom drive. why not just pick up a
cheap drive to put in there. and forgo the external one and related issues
(external power supply, cables, desk space). a combo dvd (player) / cdrw
(recorder) can be had for $30 at newegg.com (toshiba combo dvd/cdrw inbeige
to match the optiples for $25 + $4 shipping part number N82E16827130028).
and this week circuit city has a lite on dvd-r on sale for $40 after rebate
(over kill, but a good value). this way the kids can play their movies on
it too...

Old August 5th 05, 10:08 AM
Mark Dunn

You've already found this out, but I tried getting a second HDD recognised
and could only make it work by putting it on the CDROM channel, contrary to
all the usual advice, where it worked fine.

Old August 6th 05, 03:08 AM
news.columbus.rr.com

It looks like with the small chasis you can't simply install a standard
5.25" drive. This is not the tower system with the standard bays. Rather
it is the small form factor chasis. In the pictures I have seen, it always
looked like these machines with the small form factor chasis used a drive
more like a latptop drive rather than a standard 5.25" drive. I will look
at it more closely in case I am mistaken, but I think that is the case.

I agree with your points. It would be easier and I have several spare
CD/DVD burners I could use - if they will fit.

Thanks, Keith