Looking for someone to clear up this prescott confusion!

Old July 20th 04, 08:06 AM
~misfit~

+c0re- wrote:
Thanks again kony,
I've done some reading since you guys pointed this out to me and I'm
very glad you did.

Sorry, I didn't really state what my requirements were for "fastest",
I guess my criteria is that it's a fast system for gaming, I don't
run any 3d design stuff etc. or many intensive business type
applications.

I'd like to stick with the intel route, as I have been so pleased
with the P4 system I have now.

Shame, you're writing off the best gaming CPUs available with that one
statement. Don't be afraid of change, and don't embrace the 'megahertz
myth'. It's marketing, pure and simple.
--
~misfit~

Old July 20th 04, 07:03 PM
+c0re-

"~misfit~" wrote in message
+c0re- wrote:
Thanks again kony,
I've done some reading since you guys pointed this out to me and I'm
very glad you did.

Sorry, I didn't really state what my requirements were for "fastest",
I guess my criteria is that it's a fast system for gaming, I don't
run any 3d design stuff etc. or many intensive business type
applications.

I'd like to stick with the intel route, as I have been so pleased
with the P4 system I have now.

Shame, you're writing off the best gaming CPUs available with that one
statement. Don't be afraid of change, and don't embrace the 'megahertz
myth'. It's marketing, pure and simple.
--
~misfit~

Thanks for the imput misfit, but that's far from what I'm doing. This is the
first intel system I've owned, and I've been so pleased with it's ease of
setup and reliability. I'd like to speed it up a touch so it's able to take
full advantage of my new video card.

Old July 21st 04, 01:06 AM
~misfit~

+c0re- wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
+c0re- wrote:
Thanks again kony,
I've done some reading since you guys pointed this out to me and I'm
very glad you did.

Sorry, I didn't really state what my requirements were for
"fastest", I guess my criteria is that it's a fast system for
gaming, I don't run any 3d design stuff etc. or many intensive
business type applications.

I'd like to stick with the intel route, as I have been so pleased
with the P4 system I have now.

Shame, you're writing off the best gaming CPUs available with that
one statement. Don't be afraid of change, and don't embrace the
'megahertz myth'. It's marketing, pure and simple.
--
~misfit~

Thanks for the imput misfit, but that's far from what I'm doing.

I don't mean to be confrontational but, unless you've owned an AMD Barton
then you have no frame of reference. It's a faster gaming platform than the
P4's in the range you are talking, especially combined with an
nForce2Ultra400 mobo with dual-channel RAM.

And I won't even begin to talk about the AMD 64-bit CPUs.

This
is the first intel system I've owned, and I've been so pleased with
it's ease of setup and reliability.

Mate, just about every system is easy to set up these days. My girlfriend
built her own Barton 2500+ system and overclocked it to 3200+ specs with
zero previous experience. Maybe previous systems you've owned/built were
from a different era (era's come and go very quickly in the PC field) hence
not being so reliable.

I'd like to speed it up a touch
so it's able to take full advantage of my new video card.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
--
~misfit~

Old July 21st 04, 02:44 AM
+c0re-

"~misfit~" wrote in message
+c0re- wrote:
"~misfit~" wrote in message
+c0re- wrote:
[...]

I have a 3200+ system, running on an epox 8rda3+ mainboard with 1 gig of ram
in dual channel mode, it's a nice machine but I wouldn't say it's
blisteringly fast. It wasn't "hard" to set up, in fact all the issues I had
were related to all the extra stuff they packed onto the mainboard
(firewire/audio ports etc), and what you said about building previous
systems from a different era was spot on

In case there's been any confusion, I wasn't knocking AMD systems in any
way, just stating that I'd prefer to stick with the platform of my personal
preference, but I do appreciate the alternatives being pointed out, thanks

Old July 28th 04, 10:03 AM
Ken

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:58:46 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

The summary of site's like www.tomshardwareguide.com is that users are much
better off using an 875 chipset motherboard and a Northwood CPU, than any of
the Prescott's. The Prescott's run HOT, and are slower per clock speed in
applications.

Pentium 4C Northwood 130nm (512K cache) 3.2GHz (800MHz fsb)
is best buy for the moment.

Old August 5th 04, 03:45 AM
Charles

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 23:13:52 GMT, kony wrote:

Why buy an 875 Chipset motherboard an 865 is just as fast within about
5% or less. The Asus P4P800 i865 chipset motherboard can run as fast
as a i875 chipset Motherboard. The only thing an i875 chipset
motherboard has is PAT. Just get the fastest 800 FSB Northwood
processor that will work on that motherboard.

Intel is coming out with a new chipset that will reach 1066Mhz FSB.
That will be a significant improvement in speed; especially if coupled
with DDR2. Mid 2005 is the release date (about 12 months).

If you want a 775 chipset motherboard get the fastest processor
possible. The only reason to choose this option is to choose a
processor that is faster than the fastest Northwood by at least 200Mhz
or get a 915 chipset with PCI Express to speed up the video.

On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 22:58:46 GMT, "DaveW" wrote:

The summary of site's like www.tomshardwareguide.com

snip

You linked a squatter.

Correct URL is http://www.tomshardware.com

Old August 5th 04, 04:02 AM
JK

+c0re- wrote:

Thanks for the reply and the info!
The board I have now is an intel 865, but it's too old a PCB revision to
support prescotts.

I was going to get an 875 board and a prescott 3 ghz, but from what you've
said this might not be such a good idea afterall...

Since you are thinking about getting a new motherboard, why not get
an Athlon 64 processor and avoid all the confusion? An Athlon 64 3200+
is very close in price to the Prescott 3ghz. It has great performance.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2065&p=1

An Athlon 64 3000+ beats an $825 Pentium 4 3.2 ghz EE in Doom 3.
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2149&p=7

"kony" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 20:36:32 +0100, "+c0re-"
wrote:

I'm in the market for a new cpu to replace my northwood p4 2.4c.

The main one I'm looking at is a prescott 3.0E, 800FSB.

however... I've seen a lot of confusing and conflicting stuff such as:

The
earlier prescotts run very hot, but the later ones, D0 stepping run

cooler -
is this true?

I'd expect all of them to be hotter still, even if minor
improvements have been made.

Prescotts are very close to and sometimes even a bit slower than a

northwood
at the same clock. - is this true?

No, it's not "very close to and sometimes even a bit slower... at
same clock", Prescott is almost always significantly slower per
same clock. The key is that it will clock higher. In other
words, it's not very cost effective nor much of a performance
increase to upgrade from what you have to a 3.0, you could just
overclock what you have or buy something faster than 3.0. I'm
not implying that a 3.0 isn't any faster, but not much, a poor
bang for the buck.

I have a couple of motherboard questions too but I'll ask them later,

would
really really appreciate someone answering the above 2 for me, thanks in
advance!

Asus Intel 865