dvd playback

Old July 6th 03, 01:19 PM
Elector

Default dvd playback

"terry down" wrote in message
has anyone got any ideas for my dvd playback that jerks after about

5
minutes and then freezes.
pc world suggested uping my ram, so i now have 319meg showing but no

change
to my playback.

cheers

I don't know if the situation of a DVD [player in a Packard Bell is
different then in any other make or model system, but it can be any of
the following.

1- A bad CD/DVD player. [It has and does happen]

2- A bad or faulty DVD drivers. [You don't normally need drivers. It
depends on the operating system your using]

3- The program your using to view the DVD's may need to be reloaded.
It may be in a conflict with another program.

4- A loose power connection to the unit. Make sure the connection is
tight.

5- A bad power supply. Sometimes the power supplies go belly up, you
can however test or have it tested to see if it is working properly.

If anyone else has a suggestion I hope they come up with it. My mind
is blank today. All of the above will cost you nothing to have checked
out. It will cost you for a power supply if that is needed and a DVD
for the system but here in the US they are both cheap. I am not sure
of the prices in the UK. I have seen DVD players for $35 USD and power
supplies for $30 USD and with the £ they may even be equivalent. My
friend from the UK always states that if its $30 here and its £30
there its quite rare. He said you guys pay more. Well he lost me on
that one. :-)

Elector

Old July 6th 03, 01:29 PM
Simon

"terry down" wrote in message
has anyone got any ideas for my dvd playback that jerks after about 5
minutes and then freezes.
pc world suggested uping my ram, so i now have 319meg showing but no

change
to my playback.

cheers

If you can give more information like the actual system specs and OS it may
assist more.
Also the DVD playback software being used?

At the moment it sounds either like lack of processing power or video card
issues.

It may be worth locating updated video drivers and trying this approach
first to see if it improves playback streaming.

Simon

Old July 6th 03, 07:02 PM
metronid

I have done a little research into dvd play problems
I have only had my hands on about 6 problemental
systems
I have noticed usually the system does not meet
the minimum requirements

Processor crunching is very impoortant
If an AMD processor the minimum processor should always be exceeded
If an Intel processor the minimum is usaully OK

The video card although not a requirement should be
one that supports hardware playback

The ones that PB places on the board
Especially the older ones are suspect

The software you are using can also add to the problem

It is essential to know all the variables before
a coeffecient can be expressed

System Processor Video card Software

I had a compaq that met all the specs and
exceeded them
I even added a great video card for dvd playback

Improvement was astronomical
It still skipped frames

I checked all the message boards
Other people had the same problems
Even knowledgeable people

Sometimes even the best intentions fail

Old July 6th 03, 11:48 PM
Drydem

"terry down" wrote in message ...
has anyone got any ideas for my dvd playback that jerks after about 5
minutes and then freezes.
pc world suggested uping my ram, so i now have 319meg showing but no change
to my playback.

cheers

Can you tell us what cpu, video card, and DVD player you are using?
How are you connecting your DVD player to the system?
What DVD playback sw and Operating System are you using?
Are you trying to playback a dvd while doing anything else?
What kind of DVD disc are u using? DVD, DVD-RW, DVD+RW?