Can't locate 36pin SIMM for old PB...

Old July 6th 03, 12:48 PM
Susan

Default Can't locate 36pin SIMM for old PB...

Thanks again people - just gettting a bit confused now over
parity/non-parity and if the number of chips on the SIMM is important...?

Will this SIMM on Ebay work, for instance?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ategory=46 01

--
Susan

"Susan" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm having real problems locating any 36 pin 32MB SIMM's for an old PB

486SX
(PB410).

I've checked Ebay regularly for the last few weeks; but to no avail... :-(

Does anyone know where I can source these?

Thanks.

--
Susan

Old July 6th 03, 01:59 PM
Winston

"Susan" wrote in message
Thanks again people - just gettting a bit confused now over
parity/non-parity and if the number of chips on the SIMM is

important...?

Will this SIMM on Ebay work, for instance?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ategory=46 01

--
Susan

Ms. Susan:

No that Simm will not work unless you are using an Apple Macintosh.
You have a regular PC.

W.

Old July 6th 03, 03:04 PM
Rich/rerat

--=20
Hope this helpful!!!
Rich/rerat

"Winston" wrote in message =

"Susan" wrote in message
Thanks again people - just gettting a bit confused now over
parity/non-parity and if the number of chips on the SIMM is

important...?

Will this SIMM on Ebay work, for instance?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...79812&categor=
y=3D4601

--=20
Susan

Ms. Susan:

No that Simm will not work unless you are using an Apple Macintosh.
You have a regular PC.

W.

-----=3D=3D Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =3D-----

Ms. Susan,
Be aware that the 72-pin EDO non-parity SIMM Ram modules, can be either =
3.3Volt or 5Volts. And that it does matter that you use the proper =
module for your board. The most common size SIMM module is the 5V model. =
But if your System Info states that you need the 3.3V module, try =
looking at auctions that the modules were pulled from older =
Hewlett-Packard PC's.=20

I have a MM955 PB PC that came with the PB850mb (not the PB930mb), that =
required the 3.3V SIMMS. I was able to find the right modules, by =
looking for HP SIMM memory. Also tried different/new brands of 5V =
modules, and that just led to PC crashing constantly, until I installed =
the proper size module.

--=20
Hope this helpful!!!
Rich/rerat

Old July 7th 03, 10:05 AM
Susan

Thanks for that Rich...

So, do I need 3.3 or 5 for this MOBO (PB410)?

Also, some guy on Ebay is differentiating between 4k and 2k refresh:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ategory=46 11

and

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...ategory=46 11

---
Susan - just getting more confused now... :-(

"Rich/rerat" wrote in message

Hope this helpful!!!
Rich/rerat

Old July 7th 03, 01:56 PM
Ben Myers

Susan,

Possibly to eliminate confusion, look at the motherboard diagram at the URL
below.

http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/pb/mb/410.htm

Does the diagram look very much like the motherboard in the system you have? If
so, the following describes the type of memory you need for the system.

RAM Upgrades

0 MB or 4 MB Standard on Motherboard 32 MB or 36 MB Maximum. The SIMM's are
256k/1MB/2MB/4MB/8MB 72-pin and can be x32 or x36. SIMM speed must be 80ns or
faster. The motherboard design does not require parity checking, hence x32 SIMMs
can be purchased.

Now, to clarify... The pb410 motherboard in that diagram will accept one and
only one 72-pin SIMM. The largest capacity SIMM it will accept is 32MB. The
correct designation for one of these SIMMs is:

Fast-page mode (NOT EDO)
either 8Mx32 (non-parity) or 8Mx36 (parity)
80 ns or faster (60 and 70 ns are more common, and perfectly acceptable)
5v, the only operating voltage for 72-pin SIMMs

DO not worry about clocking or any other attributes... Ben Myers

Old July 12th 03, 08:35 AM
Susan

Ben,

Thanks for that - I will keep an eye on Ebay for the correct module now.

---
Susan

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]

:-(

Old July 15th 03, 03:44 PM
*

WWW.SATECH.COM
LESS CONFUSEING
just look for the Packard bell model(not motherboard #) and click on it, it
will give you a list of simms that you can put in your system, prices are
good also.

SIMM vs DIMM esara Homebuilt PC's 2 July 20th 04 01:41 AM
72 pins SIMM - EDO jona General 0 August 22nd 03 11:17 PM
Strange modprobes with RH 7.2 and Dell PowerEdge 1650 Nigel C. Cox Dell Computers 0 July 15th 03 09:31 AM