CPU cooler and temp information stuff (kind of long)

Old March 5th 04, 01:47 AM
Roger M

Default CPU cooler and temp information stuff (kind of long)

I have a barton 2500+ in a cheap Aopen case. I usually run it at 205x11
except when I'm doing a couple of small games that run the cpu at 100%
constantly. The normal temp at idle is usually 51C and as high as low
60s if I leave it oc'd during the games. I recently made some
modifications to it that made a huge difference in the cooling. The case
has of course a ps fan in the rear. The case also had room for 2 80 mm
fans at the rear which I had installed. It still ran that hot even with
these fans. I added another 80 mm fan where the unused pci slots are by
cutting them out. I also cut out the metal covers over the two rear fans
so that air flow would be better from them. There were some vent holes
in the rear of the case so I taped them up so all air entering the case
would have to come in from the front of the case and flow to the rear. I
have no fans blowing into the case. I then installed a Thermaltake
Extreme Volcano 12 cpu cooler with the speed controller.

So the results are. With the cpu fan set at the lowest speed and the
fsb at 205 and the multi at 11 cpu core voltage at 1.8V the idle temp is
41C full load is 51C case temp 28C. With the fan set so it's just
audible above the case fans (still very slow) it idles at 39C and full
loads at 46C and the case temp goes up to 29C. With the fan set on high
speed It's amazing (amazingly noisy too). Idle is 34C full load is
39/40C and case temp goes up to 31/32C. I assume the case temp rises
because of the CPU cooler expelling the extra heat. I can pump the fsb
up to 213 and the core to 1.95V and the highest temp full load is still
only 44C with the fan turned up full speed.

In summary I'd say the Extreme Volcano CPU Cooler is a hell of a
cooler, looks very high quality too. The front panel speed controller
crapped out after about 45 minutes of use. It came with a speed
controller for a PCI slot also so I removed the rheostat from it and put
it in the front panel. Not an exact fit but better than RMAing the assy
to get a new controller.

I posted this for those that ask about what cpu cooler to use and
hopefully it can help those that aren't sure about case airflow. Moving
the hot air out of the case as quickly as possible is the ticket,
airflow one way through the case without too many leaks is important
too. I hope this is of some help to someone.

Roger

Old March 8th 04, 11:20 AM
Artie

what are you using to heat up it?

Prime 95?

art

Compusa good deal on some maddog accessories like Hard Disk cooler [email protected] General 0 June 15th 04 10:21 AM
athlon XP temperature kamik General 2 April 29th 04 11:58 PM
My AQXEA Barton 2500+ @ 2.2GHz (NF7-S v2.0) Wayne Youngman Overclocking AMD Processors 40 September 25th 03 02:21 PM
GA 7N400-PRO...new bios NewB Overclocking AMD Processors 5 August 19th 03 09:06 AM
Cooler performance issues Darthy Overclocking AMD Processors 2 July 23rd 03 04:55 PM