Never buy from PC World

Old September 11th 05, 11:02 PM
Tim S Kemp

ComPCs wrote:

And if there were a counter service from A N Other vendor nearby,
which would you choose?

I'll put £50 down on A N Other...

Most of the AN Other type stores don't do proper business class PCs. And
before I get reamed for that comment, it's true.

--
re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion

Old September 11th 05, 11:48 PM
Martin Milan

Conor wrote in
t:

In article , Martin Milan
says...

Proof of purchase is not necessarily a receipt - it's not beyond them
to check to see if they have sold a KVM recently to your credit card
(assuming this wasn't a cash payment)...

Burden of proof is not on them, it's on you.

Refusing to perform a simple database query on their Point of Sale
system to establish when they last sold something to you is hardly
reasonable behaviour either. I'm a computer programmer both maintaining
and developing a point of sale system myself - and I assure you - this
is a 5 second task on any decent system.

Martin.
Old September 12th 05, 12:00 AM
Tim S Kemp

ComPCs wrote:

I wouldn't buy business class PC's over the counter at PC World. I'd
do a lot more shopping around, and then some before considering PC
World - hell, i'd even buy Dell first!

Counter service = consumables, urgent spares et al

ahhh right. Urgent spares? If you're an IT manager of any size you'll have
same day contracts (and redundancy) on servers, loads of stock of spares for
desktops, and spare printers / network bits etc. I gave up using small local
"trade" type outlets ages ago (apart from one I used to work for and the
owner is a good friend) as most of them handle the goods poorly and many of
them are linked with grey (or worse) goods. Certainly applies around here
anyway.

I've returned many hard drives and DIMMs to small dealers, never have I
returned them to Crucial (my current preferred memory supplier, Kingston as
a backup) and I've never had a seagate drive bought direct from distie go
bad.

Recent experience means I'll not touch Maxtor for a while - could be a run
of bad luck but my last two small servers came with Maxtor SATA and both
failed (one DOA one within a week), and I had two of four 200 gig SATA
maxtors in desktops die, and then an 80. All this in the space of three
months...

Needless to say my standard small server order went in last week along with
an order for a load of 200 gig seagates.... shock horror the server is
coming through PC world...

--
re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion

Old September 12th 05, 12:03 AM
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

"Conor" wrote in message
In article , ComPCs
says...

And if there were a counter service from A N Other vendor nearby, which
would you choose?

PC World. It'll still be around in 12 months. Bridlington has seen
about a dozen PC shops open and close over the last 10 years.

Its down to name and advertising thats all. A guy was braggin in the pub Sat
night that hes taking his pc to them as he gcant get rid of a couple of
visus, will do a health checka nd upgrade his memory, i asked how much and
he said £150. I said i will give him a discount afterwards to put the
problems straight once they have had it.

He never listens to my advice yes recomends me to his friends.

--
Conor

"You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart, Extras.

Old September 12th 05, 12:05 AM
Julian 'Penny for the guy' Hales

"Tim S Kemp" wrote in message
Conor wrote:
In article , Niall Leonard
says...

see infinite previous postings re PC World to verify that 'refund and
replace time' is longer than the average lifespan.

Dunno...twice I've walked into the Hull branch with a Belkin ADSL
Modem router and walked out with a replacement 5 minutes later.

Why the hell anyone would buy a router from PC World Hull when Solwise is
only a couple of miles away from it I don't know.

Billion 7402, the only home / small office router you'll ever need, unless
you need the 7500GL or 7402W for any particular reason...

--
re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion

Same reason someone bought a router from PC world Sheffield after i told i
told him to goto Tekheads around the corner(before they moved.

He still cant set his lan up, i wont help him as he couldnt be botherd to
read the manual first.

Old September 12th 05, 01:41 AM
ComPCs

In article ,
says...

[...]

Its down to name and advertising thats all.

Absolutely. And targeted toward the public at large, in the main.
Yes, I get CTO and have insight into various other trade sources.
PCW don't push themselves as a business solution too hard. Not like IBM,
Dell, et al.

As for not having done any business with them as a business...

....how about installing a network of 8 users; the business in question
had been supplied with 7 identical HP Pavillion machines, all XP Home.

Anyone who has clue knows there is a problem there.

(I didn't make the purchases, just picked up the pieces)

In addition, no media was supplied, all backups have to be created using
HP built in software.

Not a problem, but purchaser wasn't made aware of this, and subsequently
tried to resolve an issue with a PC by using a Win98 'start-up' disk he
had in the drawer, and a little knowledge.

"FORMAT does kinda mean start from new doesn't it?" came the whimper.
"yes, but not in the context you were thinking it doesn't", was the
reply.

*sigh*

Result ... one perfectly formatted HDD, one useless HP Pavillion.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Luckily, although I don't recall the full details, yours truly was on
scene within a couple of hours to suggest he create a back-up CD using
one of the other identical machines, and re-image his machine that way.

PC World on the other hand weren't actually sure what he could do to put
things right.... apart from buy some original media directly from HP,
they hoped.

Still, i've had worse experience with Dell.....

;-)
Old September 12th 05, 08:06 AM
Adam

"Conor" wrote in message

Do you think they give a flying **** about a punter who comes in once
in a blue flood and only spends £10-£50?

No, I don't. Although I've actually spent well in excess of £1000 there in
the last few months, and would no doubt have continued to spend money there
over many years to come if they had taken the trouble to be just a little
bit courteous. But truthfully, I still don't think they give a flying ****.
The store manager no doubt gets paid just the same no matter how much money
the store makes.

Not only that, but as I am not completely clueless about computers, many of
my friends and family come to me for IT advice. Rest assured I shall be
telling all of them to avoid PC World from now on, and many of them will
listen.

But I'm sure there is still no-one at PC World who gives a flying ****. All
I'm saying is that anyone who was both interested in and capable of running
a business well would have done things differently.

BW

Adam

Old September 12th 05, 08:12 AM
Tim S Kemp

but I will say one thing .... server=scsi - forget anything else, I
just cant put anything out that is going to be any kind of server
without scsi discs ... maybe im just from the old school ..... but im
definately starting to lose my mind ... maybe its just that !!

It didn't seem right at first to me either - but now SATA makes sense -
there's plenty of decent reliable and supportable SATA RAID hosts out there
and unless outright performance is the priority (there's no 15k drives
AFAIK) then a loaded up 3ware, Intel or Adaptec controller is perfect - many
of my systems are involved in AV work, hi-def video is a bit space hungry
and I seem to be creating terabyte temp storage volumes....

Still, I've got a server upgrade to do than needs Scsi (or should I say that
the client claims needs scsi)...

--
re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion

Old September 12th 05, 02:19 PM
ferg

" Hi Everyone

I thought I should warn about the total lack of respect for customers'
statutory rights that seems to exist at PC World. I bought a KVM switch
from
them a few weeks ago, and it worked fine at first, so I didn't bother
keeping the receipt.

Theres your problem, you threw away receipt,end of story

move on

Ferg