How to print 1704x2560 pixels to 6x8 inches on 8.5x11 inch paperin WinXP?

Old July 10th 05, 11:37 AM
Rob

Default How to print 1704x2560 pixels to 6x8 inches on 8.5x11 inch paperin WinXP?

I do think that you will have to get a program which has "print to Page"
option. You may have to download a trial version of JASC Paint Shop Pro
or Adobe Photoshop CS2 which both have that option. You will not have
to stuff around then.

Photoshop you can crop to 6x8 at 300dpi and print that.

wrote:

Q: What is the right method to calculate how to print a 1704x2560 pixel
JPEG to a 6x8 inch final size on 8.5x11 inch photo paper using Windows
XP & Irfanview (or similar) with HPOJd145 printer drivers?
A: ???

Today, I tried to print a JPG to 6 inch wide by 8 inch tall frame:
- WinXP Photo Printing Wizard does NOT have 6" x 8" as an option!

Irfanview's bottom line showed original size information as:
- 1704x2560x24 BPP 1/3 100% 1.34MB / 12.48 MB 7/10/2005 01:04:33

MANUAL TRIAL-&-ERROR APPROACH 1:
I first tried printing to 8.5x11 inch photo paper with the Windows XP
Printer Wizard at both "Full page photo print" & "8 x 10 in cutout
print" and then manually cropping these oversized results with
scissors; but the original photo was well composed in that it had
little cropping margin so this (most obvious approach) failed to get
the correct aspect ratio & size.

MANUAL TRIAL-&-ERROR APPROACH 2:
I then tried manually estimating & drawing a series of approximately 6"
x 8" rectangles on the photo and then cropping with the "Irfanview
Edit--Crop selection" command; but these trial-and-error results were
also a royal mess. I just couldn't get the results right.

MANUAL TRIAL-&-ERROR APPROACH 3:
Then I tried manually estimating using the Irfanview
"Image--Resize/Resample" command, which had options of 640x480,
800x600, etc., but, again, I couldn't print any of these
trial-and-error guesses to the desired 6 inch wide by 8 inch tall
picture frame.

MANUAL TRIAL-&-ERROR APPROACH 4:
Frustrated with the previous manual methods, I succeeded (barely) by
using the Irfanview "Image--Canvas size" command by adding a series of
successive 50 pixel-wide black borders which effectively shrank the
photo for the WinXP Photo Printing Wizard "Full page photo print" to
print it at approximately the desired 6" x 8" actual photo size (sans
borders). I then manually cut out the borders using scissors and ...
finally (whew!) ... the photo was printed to the correct size for a 6
inch wide by 8 inch tall picture frame (internal dimensions).

My problem with these manual trial-&-error methods is that they are
inexact, very much guesswork, and prone to wasted time and effort (not
to mention ink & paper!). But, I'm embarrassed to say I'm a bit
mathematically challenged in that I have no idea how to mathematically
compute the correct size reduction necessary to "shrink" (is that the
right word) the original 1704 x 2560 pixel image to 6 inches x 8 inches
on an HP Officejet D145 printer at whateve DPI the HPOJd145 driver
software prints at its "Best" quality setting.

There must be a better way to print a photo of given size to a print of
specified size, isn't there?

My question:

Q: What is the right method to calculate how to print a 1704x2560 pixel
JPEG to a 6x8 inch final size on 8.5x11 inch photo paper using Windows
XP & Irfanview (or similar)?
A: ???

Donna DiGiacomo

Old July 10th 05, 02:08 PM
KennyJr

In article nospam-A74893.08055710072005
@netaxs.com.client.newsread.com, says...
Photoshop Elements also has a crop tool that you can set dimensions.
m-m

This is probably the best option for you to do what you want.