DVD write?

Old July 19th 07, 06:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
journey

Default DVD write?

Good info. Barry -- unfortunately, I experienced the fading and other
problems first-hand.

DVDs are so cheap that there is no need for me to use the RW kind. I
have used them in the past to accumulate things like music from bands
I probably wouldn't listen to much, but still wanted to collect songs
from them over time (AC/DC and Frank Sinatra are examples).

I lost all of my Frank Sinatra because I couldn't get the RW to work
reliably. I kept trying though occasionally, and had hope with every
new release of Roxio software that it would finally work. I'll save
the read/write tasks for external hard drives, and keep things simple
by burning non-RW ISOs.

On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 01:01:24 -0400, Barry Watzman
wrote:

I recommend not using RW media at all, period.

As packet written media, it's non-standard. It's not only non-ISO, but
in many cases you can't read the disc on any computer other than the one
it's made on or one with identical software. [This is because of the
packet writing non-ISO format, not because it's RW; you can burn this
format on non-RW media also, but it's rarely done.]

But more to the point, it's slower, it's more expensive, and the data
sometimes "fades" (disappears on it's own after a period of time (weeks
to a couple of years)). It's definitely not for archival storage. And
this is because it's "RW" media, which you CAN also burn as ISO-standard
(but the data might still fade anyway).

Journey wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jul 2007 21:10:09 -0400, Barry Watzman
wrote:

The right way to burn both CD and DVD optical media is to open up the
main window a full optical media burning product (e.g. Roxio, Nero or
whatever), create a layout and burn it as an ISO-standard media.

I think that's the bottom line. It makes sense that staying with
ISO-standard media is the safest way to go.

What about CD-RW's and DVD-RW's? Does that mean burn them as
ISO-standard, and then if things change, re-burn them as ISO-standard?

Old July 19th 07, 11:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Star@*.*

wrote:

I recommend not using RW media at all, period.

I record OTA TV on the computer, edit out the commercials and write to
DVD. These programs are for later viewing, like a couple of days. I
use NERO which is ISO format and DVD RW media. As this data in
temporary the DVD RW seems to be made for this type of usage. Would
seem foolish to write this type info to Write once media and throw it
away.
If it is backup data which I wish to have access to later (weeks,
months) then yes, I will only use Write once media.

Art