Dell recalls 4.1 million laptop batteries

Old August 15th 06, 05:26 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
YKhan

Default Dell recalls 4.1 million laptop batteries

Dell seeks to blame Sony over batterygate

Dell recalls 4.1m 'Zippo' laptop batteries | Reg Hardware
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08...laptop_recall/

Old August 15th 06, 11:00 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (14 Aug 2006 21:26:19 -0700) it happened "YKhan"
wrote in
.com:

Dell seeks to blame Sony over batterygate

Poor Sony, so many problems they have, now also PS3 price,
and this....
Old August 15th 06, 04:26 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
chrisv

Jan Panteltje wrote:

Poor Sony, so many problems they have, now also PS3 price,
and this....

Screw 'em. I used to be a Sony fan, but I've tired of their constant
proprietary trickery, e.g. their memsticks.

Old August 15th 06, 04:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Rthoreau

chrisv wrote:
Jan Panteltje wrote:

Poor Sony, so many problems they have, now also PS3 price,
and this....

Screw 'em. I used to be a Sony fan, but I've tired of their constant
proprietary trickery, e.g. their memsticks.

I have an old amd Sony laptop, it's better then my wifes Dell. It's a
PCG-FX215 as of this minute it has an uptime of 74 days crunching
RC5-72. Battery is taken out is running on the mains only, so any power
glitch it will go down. It's running Ubuntu at the moment, but I want
to switch it to Debian Etch. Never could get used to sudo, when I added
root, and a regular user I get all sorts of problems, like synaptic not
working. Not to mention I am upset at Ubuntu in general over their
treatment of Debian developers and not giving back.

I am a little confused, Dell is upset at Sony because it made the
batteries? Since when does Dell buy from Japan I thought it was all on
main land China? Maybe I will see if I can get a new set of batteries
for my wifes 600M, I can hope can't I. I think Dell is looking for a
scapegoat, hope it hurts their quarter as this is the month of back to
school buying.

Rthoreau

Old August 15th 06, 05:19 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
GSV Three Minds in a Can

Bitstring , from the
wonderful person chrisv said
Jan Panteltje wrote:

Poor Sony, so many problems they have, now also PS3 price,
and this....

Screw 'em. I used to be a Sony fan, but I've tired of their constant
proprietary trickery, e.g. their memsticks.

Not to mention their music CD copy protection. Be a long time before I
forgive them that one ... and yeah, I used to be a fan too.

--
GSV Three Minds in a Can
Google may be your friend, but groups.google.com posters definitely aren't.
Old August 15th 06, 05:25 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Jan Panteltje

On a sunny day (Tue, 15 Aug 2006 10:26:35 -0500) it happened chrisv
wrote in :

Jan Panteltje wrote:

Poor Sony, so many problems they have, now also PS3 price,
and this....

Screw 'em. I used to be a Sony fan, but I've tired of their constant
proprietary trickery, e.g. their memsticks.

Well, I renounced Sony many years ago, because of bad service here,
then recently they put an American in charge, and I ordered a Sony
alarm clock / radio.
That one is still working, not a single other Sony product....
Dunno what to make of it.

My first Sony product was that tape recorder.. this one I think:
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/vintagetx/S101.jpg
traded it with somebody for a camera IIRC.... then traded the camera for a
car :-)

The alarm clock I will keep.

Would be nice if they started making quality again.

Old August 15th 06, 05:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
chrisv

Rthoreau wrote:

I am a little confused, Dell is upset at Sony because it made the
batteries? Since when does Dell buy from Japan I thought it was all on
main land China?

Sony can't make things in China? Where a company is based has little
to do with where the factories are.

Anyway, I believe that Taiwan is where a lot of (most?) laptops are
made. Maybe that's changed in the last few years...

Old August 15th 06, 08:01 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Neil Maxwell

On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 13:57:50 -0400, Keith wrote:

In article ,
says...
Rthoreau wrote:

I am a little confused, Dell is upset at Sony because it made the
batteries? Since when does Dell buy from Japan I thought it was all on
main land China?

Sony can't make things in China? Where a company is based has little
to do with where the factories are.

Anyway, I believe that Taiwan is where a lot of (most?) laptops are
made. Maybe that's changed in the last few years...

My ThinkPad came (at least was shipped) from Hong Kong. Of course
it is a Lenovo. ;-)

My new Dell laptop was assembled in Malaysia. I assume most of the
parts came from China, not including the major semiconductors (CPU,
chipset, RAM, etc).

Old August 16th 06, 12:50 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel
Tony Hill

On 14 Aug 2006 21:26:19 -0700, "YKhan" wrote:

Dell seeks to blame Sony over batterygate

Dell recalls 4.1m 'Zippo' laptop batteries | Reg Hardware
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/08...laptop_recall/

Well good on Dell for doing the right thing at least, though I suspect
it's something that SHOULD have been done a bit earlier. Now I wonder
if/when others with follow suit? Dell seems to have got the worst of
the press, but I doubt that they're the only one with exploding
batteries. Hopefully this will result in an improvement in quality
and quality control of Li-Ion batteries (hey, I can dream, right?).

Tony Hill
hilla underscore 20 at yahoo dot ca