compaq user diagnostics diskette for compaq deskpro 4000

Old April 26th 05, 11:49 AM
naresh ghanghas

Default compaq user diagnostics diskette for compaq deskpro 4000

i have compaq deskpro 4000 . when i tries to enter the setup it demand
for compaq diagnostics diskette . i have lost this. pls tell from
where to get this or download this and prepare this diskette

bye

nkg
Old April 26th 05, 12:30 PM
HH

Try here. Took 3 minutes to find on HP website:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...nload/263.html

HH

om...

Old April 26th 05, 04:37 PM
Earl F. Parrish

"naresh ghanghas" wrote in message
om...
i have compaq deskpro 4000 . when i tries to enter the setup it
demand
for compaq diagnostics diskette . i have lost this. pls tell from
where to get this or download this and prepare this diskette

bye

nkg

If your Diagnostic Partition still exists, you can create another
Diagnostic Diskette. When you hit F10, you are given several
choices including Manage Diagnostic Partition, which requires the
Diagnostic Diskette. The other options should not require it unless
your Diagnostic Partition is damaged.

You would have to remove all the DOS partitions to create a new
Diagnostic Partition. If you do not have a current backup and a
way to restore your drive, you might have to start from scratch.
You should also download the SoftPaq for the Setup Diskette and run
Setup from a floppy diskette if you are unable to recreate the
Diagnostic Partition without serious disruption of your installed
operating system and programs.

I lost my Diagnostic Partition when I tested Xandros Linux which
overwrote the Diagnostic Partition during the automatic drive
configuration. Because Linux used this hidden partition for the
beginning of its boot partition, my laptop would try to boot Linux
although I had reinstalled Windows Millennium Edition. I had to
reinstall the Diagnostic Partition to get rid of the vestige of
Linux in the hidden partition.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Old April 27th 05, 06:26 AM
naresh ghanghas

"Earl F. Parrish" wrote in message news:oftbe.13138$Nc.2818@trnddc08...
[...]

i a fitted a new 4gb hdd with dos partion . now what to do
Old April 27th 05, 12:54 PM
Earl F. Parrish

[...]

You have to download the SoftPaqs from Hewlett-Packard which will
produce floppy diskettes containing the Setup Diskette and
Diagnostic Diskette on separate diskettes. Your hard drive has to
be blank with no DOS partitions. It is best to do this before you
add any operating system or files to the drive because everything
will be removed when you delete the partition(s). You will also
need a Startup Disk for your operating system or a bootable CD-ROM
with your operating system installation files.

Boot with the Diagnostic Diskette. Select Create Diagnostic
Partition from the menu. Use your mouse to make the selection if it
works. Otherwise use the cursor keys. Follow the screen prompts.
You may have to switch back and forth between the two diskettes, so
have both handy. Once it finishes, you will have an invisible
partition containing the BIOS Setup files and Diagnostic files. You
can enter BIOS Setup when you see a square cursor appear on the
upper right side of the screen when you are booting up. Press F10
at that time to enter the routine.

Once you are satisfied that the BIOS Setup and Diagnostic routines
work, you can install your operating system and programs. If you
have Restore CDs, you can use them to get back to the out-of-the-box
state of your computer without individually installing the operating
system and original programs. Any operating system updates and
service packs will have to be reinstalled. Any non-original
programs you added yourself will also have to be reinstalled from
the installation CDs for those programs. Updates, if any, for those
programs will also have be reinstalled.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Old April 27th 05, 02:59 PM
High

Earl F. Parrish wrote:
"naresh ghanghas" wrote in message
om...

"Earl F. Parrish" wrote in message

"naresh ghanghas" wrote in message
e.com...

[...]

Earl, is this diagnostic partition necessary, couldn't he just install
the OS?
Old April 27th 05, 07:50 PM
Earl F. Parrish

"High" wrote in message

Earl, is this diagnostic partition necessary, couldn't he just
install the OS?

As I stated two messages up, he can run the BIOS Setup or the
Diagnostic routine from a floppy diskette created from a
Hewlett-Packard SoftPaq download. The Diagnostic Partition simply
allows a Compaq user to go into BIOS Setup without using a floppy
diskette. New Compaq computers have the BIOS Setup routine
hard-coded in ROM so that neither the floppy diskette nor the
Diagnostic partition is needed.

If I already had installed my operating system on my hard drive
along with my program and data files, I would not remove them just
to create the Diagnostic Partition. The situation I described in my
case was done to get rid of the vestige of Linux which was still
trying to boot when I started my computer. But for that, I would
have left my hard drive alone.

--
Earl F. Parrish

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 December 19th 04 01:58 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 December 4th 04 01:22 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 April 25th 04 10:45 PM
Compaq user diagnostics diskette bananaboat Compaq Computers 3 April 21st 04 03:05 AM
Anyone have the specs on an [[[OLD]]] model 461 monitor? Rick Compaq Computers 6 October 28th 03 04:03 AM