P4P800-E Deluxe: BIOS Chipset settings

Old September 22nd 04, 08:49 AM
Peter Wagner

Default P4P800-E Deluxe: BIOS Chipset settings

Hi

I've got
an Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz Northwood,
2 Kingston DDR-SDRAM PC3200 à MBytes

CPU-Z reports:
Timings table
Frequency (MHz) 166 200
CAS# 2.0 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay 3 3
RAS# Precharge 3 3
TRAS# 7 8

The Chipset settings are 'Auto'.

Should I set the settings 'Manual'?

TIA

Old September 22nd 04, 10:41 AM
Pete D

Looks like you have a problem Peter, they should be the same for both memory
sticks. I would manuallt set them to the settings on the right and see if
that works. With the Northwood P4 they should both be at 200Mhz.

Old September 22nd 04, 03:04 PM
SpongeBob

No, all is allright.

The data of CPU-Z should understand in this way:
With 166 MHz the Kingston RAM runs with 2/3/3/7 and
with 200 MHz the Kingston RAM runs with 2.5/3/3/8.

That's O.K and logical!

CPU-Z reports the same for my MDT-RAM.

BTW I also use the 'Auto'-settings without any problems - my system with a
P4P800 is rock stable.

Old September 22nd 04, 10:37 PM
Peter Wagner

SpongeBob wrote:
No, all is allright.

The data of CPU-Z should understand in this way:
With 166 MHz the Kingston RAM runs with 2/3/3/7 and
with 200 MHz the Kingston RAM runs with 2.5/3/3/8.

That's O.K and logical!

CPU-Z reports the same for my MDT-RAM.

BTW I also use the 'Auto'-settings without any problems - my system
with a P4P800 is rock stable.

Mine is rock stable too, but can 'Auto' recognize the lowest values or will
it be better, one keys in lower values?

Old September 24th 04, 12:55 AM
Wim Zefat

Op Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:37:46 +0200 schreef Peter Wagner:

SpongeBob wrote:
No, all is allright.

The data of CPU-Z should understand in this way:
With 166 MHz the Kingston RAM runs with 2/3/3/7 and
with 200 MHz the Kingston RAM runs with 2.5/3/3/8.

Mine is rock stable too, but can 'Auto' recognize the lowest values or will
it be better, one keys in lower values?

Since your machine uses a clock speed of 200 Mhz (unless you overclock),
you should use the values stated for that speed: 2.5/3/3/8.

Take a look at the Tab Memory in CPU-Z, which tells you the timing your
memory actually uses (as opposed to the timing it *should* use, which you
can see in the Tab SPD, which is the one you reported here). If the timing
you see here is slower then 2.5/3/3/8, you can try setting the timing
manually. Otherwise just use Auto. Don't forget to test the memory
thoroughly though, for instance with memtest86, if you decide to change the
settings!

Mine ran at 2.5/4/4/8 using Auto setting, even though the RAM's SPD said it
should work at 2/3/3/6, so I set those values manually. Machine has been
rock solid at this setting for months now.

Wim

Old September 24th 04, 07:19 AM
Peter Wagner

Wim Zefat wrote:
Op Wed, 22 Sep 2004 23:37:46 +0200 schreef Peter Wagner:

Wim

Thank you for your answer.

Mine is rock stable too, but can 'Auto' recognize the lowest values
or will it be better, one keys in lower values?

Since your machine uses a clock speed of 200 Mhz (unless you
overclock), you should use the values stated for that speed:
2.5/3/3/8.

Take a look at the Tab Memory in CPU-Z, which tells you the timing
your memory actually uses (as opposed to the timing it *should* use,
which you can see in the Tab SPD, which is the one you reported
here). If the timing you see here is slower then 2.5/3/3/8, you can
try setting the timing manually.

They are the _same_.

But Kingston says:
HyperX Features:
Description Settings

400MHz (PC3200) 2-3-2-6-1 (CAS Latency 2)

What does this means?
Correlates this to 2/3/2/6/1?
But I think 1 instead of 8 can't be right?!
What is the correct order of this numbers?

In an other paper says Kingston:

Programmable Burst length (2, 4, 8)
Programmable Burst type (sequential & interleave)
Timing Reference: 2-3-2-6-1 at +2.6V

Otherwise just use Auto. Don't
forget to test the memory thoroughly though, for instance with
memtest86, if you decide to change the settings!

Mine ran at 2.5/4/4/8 using Auto setting, even though the RAM's SPD
said it should work at 2/3/3/6, so I set those values manually.
Machine has been rock solid at this setting for months now.

Fine.

Wim