Are S-ATA hard discs hot pluggable when motherboard is powered on?

Old March 2nd 09, 04:39 PM posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Jason Stacy

Default Are S-ATA hard discs hot pluggable when motherboard is powered on?

My motherboard A8N offers 2 S-ATA slots and some more IDE slots.

Assume a first hard disc (with my OS) is already running and the (Asus A8N) motherboard powered on:
Can I hot plug (in or out) a second S-ATA hard disc without the risk of damages for the motherboard or
the S-ATA hard disc?

J.

Old March 2nd 09, 05:55 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Ato_Zee

My motherboard A8N offers 2 S-ATA slots and some more IDE slots.

Assume a first hard disc (with my OS) is already running and the (Asus
A8N) motherboard powered on:
Can I hot plug (in or out) a second S-ATA hard disc without the risk of
damages for the motherboard or
the S-ATA hard disc?

It works fine with XP Pro 64 bit, timer turns on drive, scheduled backup
to 1TB drive runs, timer turns drive off 20 mins later.
For 32 bit XP Pro, you need the MS utility to first run a PNP rescan,
this detects the drive, then the backup works the same as
the 64 bit one.
Note there are two SATA connector types, you may need a SATA
mobo to eSATA adapter, an extra quid.
Make sure the eSATA enclosure does a hardwired one to one with
the mobo.