Case\CPU Temps

Old October 6th 04, 11:49 PM
Axel Beck

Default Case\CPU Temps

Hi folks,
I just put together a new box. AMD XP3000 CPU on an Abit KV-7 board.
The CPU temps are running between 45 C and 55 C, the case temps are
running between 55 C and 65 C. I can't think that this is normal. I've
never seen the case temps run higher than the CPU temps. This ten
degree spread exists even on a cold start. Could something be wrong
with the sensors? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Axel.
Old October 7th 04, 06:29 AM
Axel Beck

I'm using MBM 5. Also, Lavalys "Everest". Both show the same
readings.

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004 20:17:41 -0700, Bill
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Hi folks,
I just put together a new box. AMD XP3000 CPU on an Abit KV-7 board.
The CPU temps are running between 45 C and 55 C, the case temps are
running between 55 C and 65 C. I can't think that this is normal. I've
never seen the case temps run higher than the CPU temps. This ten
degree spread exists even on a cold start. Could something be wrong
with the sensors? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Axel.

And you are reading these temps where? In the BIOS? Using a monitor
program? If so which one?

Bill

Old October 7th 04, 11:30 AM
Chip

"Axel Beck" wrote in message

Hi folks,
I just put together a new box. AMD XP3000 CPU on an Abit KV-7 board.
The CPU temps are running between 45 C and 55 C, the case temps are
running between 55 C and 65 C. I can't think that this is normal. I've
never seen the case temps run higher than the CPU temps. This ten
degree spread exists even on a cold start. Could something be wrong
with the sensors? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks, Axel.

Its virtually impossible for the case temp to be higher than the CPU temp.
(Unless you have a massively overclocked GF6800Ulta video card and no
airflow!).

The two possible causes for what you see are either (a) the sensor are the
wrong way around. This is quite common. Or (b) the sensors are
miscalibrated. This is quite common too.

To check which it is, load the CPU up with something like toast.exe and
watch the temps. The one that rises fastest is the CPU temp. The case temp
will always move more slowly as it takes longer for the case to heat up than
it does for the CPU.

Having determined what the cause of the problem is (a) or (b), you can then
either swap them around in MBM or whatever. Or forget about it ;-)

Chip

Old October 7th 04, 05:04 PM
Axel Beck

I went into the health section of my bios and saw a reading named "PWM
temperatures." This reading is the same one that is reported as case
temp by the sensor in MBM 5. However, if I start a program that pegs
the CPU, it is this sensor that rises faster than the reported CPU
sensor. What is the PWM temp? Thanks, Axel.

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:30:34 +0100, "Chip"
wrote:

.. .

Old October 7th 04, 06:06 PM
Chip

"Axel Beck" wrote in message
I went into the health section of my bios and saw a reading named "PWM
temperatures." This reading is the same one that is reported as case
temp by the sensor in MBM 5. However, if I start a program that pegs
the CPU, it is this sensor that rises faster than the reported CPU
sensor. What is the PWM temp? Thanks, Axel.

I have never heard the expression before. My gut reaction is that it might
stand for Power Management ? I know Abit have done some stuff on cooling the
mosfets etc with their OTES system. Maybe they have temperature sensors on
the mosfets. I dunno.

Chip

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 11:30:34 +0100, "Chip"
wrote:

. ..

Old October 9th 04, 11:00 PM
Simon Atkinson

Chip wrote:

"Axel Beck" wrote in message
I went into the health section of my bios and saw a reading named
"PWM temperatures." This reading is the same one that is reported
as case temp by the sensor in MBM 5. However, if I start a program
that pegs the CPU, it is this sensor that rises faster than the
reported CPU sensor. What is the PWM temp? Thanks, Axel.

I have never heard the expression before. My gut reaction is that it
might stand for Power Management ? I know Abit have done some stuff
on cooling the mosfets etc with their OTES system. Maybe they have
temperature sensors on the mosfets. I dunno.

PWM = Pulse Width Modulator - or Voltage regulator - it's showing the
temperature of the MOSFETs. They are tough little cookies and damage
sets in at about 120C. I stuck some of those little copper RAM
heat-sinks on mine and it keeps them at about 45C under full load.