multiboot win2000 and 3.1

Old April 26th 07, 05:40 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
devin1100[_3_]

Default multiboot win2000 and 3.1

Hi every 1 im the kind of person that likes to screw with peoples minds
a bit. so i was wondering if there was something i could install, or if
i coud edit the boot.ini file so i could boot from 2000 or 3.1 if so
where can i get it and what els do i need? im guessing i need dos.

--
devin1100
Old April 26th 07, 11:51 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Colin Wilson

Hi every 1 im the kind of person that likes to screw with peoples minds
a bit. so i was wondering if there was something i could install, or if
i coud edit the boot.ini file so i could boot from 2000 or 3.1 if so
where can i get it and what els do i need? im guessing i need dos.

VMware and do it within Win2k ?
Old April 26th 07, 01:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Yes, you do need to install DOS on a FAT16 partition (2.1GB max IIRC) before
installing Windows 3.1. I think that DOS 6.2 would be the answer.

Not sure why you want to do this, but if you need an unused shrink-wrapped copy
of DOS 6.2 (installed only from floppy diskettes), I can sell you one quite
inexpensively... Ben Myers

Old April 27th 07, 12:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
devin1100[_4_]

well its on a laptop so i only have one harddrive and i dont realy want
to have to repartition it, its a very small harddrive already so
makeing multiple partitions would just give me even less space for my
files. so I think i will take a look at vmware and see if it will work.

--
devin1100
Old April 27th 07, 03:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Your other choice might be to simply get another cheap small notebook hard drive
with drive carrier and install Win 3.1 on it. No matter what, you need to have
a bootable DOS to run Windows 3.1.

If I understand vmware (and maybe I don't), you would still need a separate
partition for DOS/Win 3.1. But maybe you do not. It would be interesting to
see if newish vmware can run 1993 vintage software... Ben Myers

Old April 27th 07, 12:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
devin1100[_5_]

ok ill take a look at the computer shops around town and see if any of
them have any older laptop drives and cases. and I tried vmware and its
not guna work cause my laptop is an old pos thats 550 mhz and it needs
600 and sumpin mhz so I guess I either need to repartition or find
another harddrive.
also how much space does win 3.1 take up and how much space does it
need to be happy?

--
devin1100
Old April 27th 07, 04:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Windows 3.1 was distributed on 5 3.5" diskettes, a total of around 9MB. DOS
6.2 was distributed on 3 diskettes, around 5MB. IIRC (and this goes back a
long way), the whole mess would run OK on a 120MB drive, common at the time.

What brand and model of laptop do you have? To make it easier, you would need
a drive tray (caddy) to mount a second drive. Each brand and often different
models of the same brand requires its own special drive tray, sometimes with
little adapters that fit onto the pins of the drive.

If you get a second drive larger than 2.1GB, you can always set up multiple
2.1GB partitions on it... Ben Myers

Old April 27th 07, 09:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
devin1100[_6_]

I have a compaq armada 100s witch origanaly came with a 5 gig harddrive
mine has a 9.34 gig and if its only going to take up 120mb I could put
it on this harddrive.Ill just borrow a friend of mines partition magic
disks and make a 200mb partition out of the free space on my harddrive.
One more thing tho how would i set it to multiboot 2k and 3.1 after 3.1
is installed?

also thanks for all the help and your very fast replys

--
devin1100
Old April 28th 07, 06:37 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers

Sorry, but I'm not terribly capable with multiboot setups. But, yes, a couple
of hundred megs should be adequate for basic use... Ben

Old April 28th 07, 07:52 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh

Hi!

If I understand vmware (and maybe I don't), you would still need a

separate
partition for DOS/Win 3.1. But maybe you do not.

VMware can *technically* use existing disk partitions and start operating
systems from them. But that's not the preferred way to do it--normally you
end up making virtual disks within VMware that reside in large files.

Yes, VMware will run Windows 3.1x and DOS very nicely. There's even been
some work on getting the Windows 3.11 SVGA display driver to allow higher
resolution display at 256 colors within a VM. (VMware does not provide
Windows 3.1 SVGA drivers for their emulated display adapter.) The only OS
that I know not to work is OS/2. VMware's attitude has been one of "we will
not support OS/2 installations". If that has changed in their current
product I don't know...my version of VMware Workstation is one version
behind the current one.

Microsoft's Virtual PC offering will run OS/2 (been there, done that) as
will Parallels Workstation (available for PC and Mac). Both of these will
also allow you to run Windows 3.1x and DOS, although Virtual PC has an edge
since it emulates an S3 graphics adapter for which there have been Windows
3.1x drivers made.

William