External caddy for notebook hard drive?

Old May 9th 06, 01:23 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Default External caddy for notebook hard drive?

Do these even exist? I was hoping for an external caddy that would
accomodate a notebook hard disk - in an attempt to access this particular
drive?

I can see where a standard hard disk external caddy would be more practical.

Anyone have one, used one, or seen one? Links?

Thanks

Stew

Old May 9th 06, 01:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

USB2?

Sure, I have one. Wasn't too pricey. Powered from the USB port. Very
handy for moving files.

. ..

Old May 9th 06, 02:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I have one that I paid $25 for and use to back up customer files before
doing dangerous things to their computers. Hooks up to USB and works great.
I bought mine at PC Club (www.pcclub.com)

. ..

Old May 9th 06, 02:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

A notebook drive is 2.5", so try googling/searching for something
like:
2.5" external drive kit usb2

Don't get the 2.5" ADS Dual Link Drive Kit which has both USB2.0 and
1394 interfaces because for USB you have to plug in TWO USB cables -
one for the regular USB signal and another special USB cable for power
(sheesh).

Old May 9th 06, 03:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
USB2?

Sure, I have one. Wasn't too pricey. Powered from the USB port. Very
handy for moving files.

How about a link there, bud? Again, I'm looking to remove the hard disk
from an Inspiron 8100 over to the caddy, then plug the caddy USB style
either to another machine or back into the Inspiron after the new drive and
OS are installed.

I'm going to dig around over at newegg and zipzoomfly, though it might be
faster if BestBuy, CompUSA, or Circus City had one.....

Thanks....

Stew

Old May 9th 06, 03:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Do you have to have an empty one? Last one I bought was a WD with drive:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134698030663

or

http://tinyurl.com/qsqoo

Case only, something like this ($10)

Tom

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
USB2?

Sure, I have one. Wasn't too pricey. Powered from the USB port. Very
handy for moving files.

. ..

Old May 9th 06, 04:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
.. .
Do you have to have an empty one? Last one I bought was a WD with drive:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1134698030663

or

http://tinyurl.com/qsqoo

Case only, something like this ($10)

Tom

Thanks, Tom. I grabbed an Enermax from ZZF along with the replacement
drive. Your confirmation that they're out there and work was enough for me
to locate one and push it through.

Stew

Old May 9th 06, 04:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

Stew
let us know how you like that model.
i've been using just a $4 adapter that i got from startech,
and after i slide out the notebook drive, i connect this small adapter,
and then stick on a usb -ide adapter, and then connect to a computer to
extract data. that works fine for me in the shop and in the field.

but a small enclosure like that can allow one to carry around a 100gb
backup drive in a small emough space, something i dont currently do.
Jay
Old May 9th 06, 04:26 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

I have both USB and PCMCIA hard drive adapters for notebook drives. The USB
one also has a widget to connect up standard 40/80-pin IDE devices. I use the
PCMCIA one for those troublesome cases where USB does not want to work.

These are nothing fancy. Just a USB cable or PCMCIA card with cable, ribbon
cables, separate power supply for the drive. No case. But quick and easy for
hooking up a drive. Got the USB stuff on eBay, the PCMICA stuff from a
corporate yard sale.

I also have a PCMCIA-SCSI adapter to do a quick and dirty hookup of a SCSI drive
to a notebook. You never know when you want to do something like that, but I'm
ready... Ben Myers