!!! A7N8X Deluxe BIOS Rev. 1002 + CPU temperature !!!

Old February 2nd 04, 10:57 PM
Shogun

Default !!! A7N8X Deluxe BIOS Rev. 1002 + CPU temperature !!!

My CPU gives in the BIOS a temperature of almost 62° C!!!
This can't be normal i should say. My MB temp. is than 22° C, what seems to
be normal.

However when i start XP Pro and run Asus Probe, the CPU reaches values at
that point of 46° C
What is going on here? I have a bad feeling about my processor, which has
big problems to keep low temperatures. It increases to high values,
especially when i run KaZaA Lite 2.43 i discovered.
CPU usage is then almost 77%.

But why should that causing increasing of CPU temp.? I have RAM enough (1
Gb) so it shouldn't be a problem. My former processor (2400+) gave no errors
at all, low temp. and never shutdowns of my system.

Is there any way where i can find out if my processor sucks? Of course i
should take the whole system to the store where i bought the processor
a.s.o. but i really can't miss my system for more then 2 days. There i have
to wait at least 7 days when i get it back.

Maybe here is another problem what causes all my problems of the shutdowns?
Please help me with this if one of you can ...

SPECS:

Asus A7N8X DeLuxe BIOS Rev. 1002 Beta 006, 28-01-03
AMD Athlon XP 3000+
Zalman CNPS 6000 AMD XP Cooler
Memory: 1024 DDRAM PC3200 VData
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8x

MS Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 SP 1 Build 2600
Installed all available updates

Old February 3rd 04, 12:07 AM
JBM

"Shogun" wrote in message
l...
[...]

You need to reinstall your heatsink, or make sure

the CPU fan is working. Heat released by the CPU will

increases as the CPU usage goes up. It has nothing

to do with the amount of ram you have.

Old February 3rd 04, 12:11 AM
JBM

"JBM" wrote in message

"Shogun" wrote in message
l...
[...]

Also did you use a heatsink rated for your new

CPU

Old February 3rd 04, 02:48 PM
Shogun

"JBM" wrote in message

"JBM" wrote in message
> [...]

"Shogun" wrote in message
l...
[...]

I don't know JBM. The Zalman Cooler i have should be working OK for this
processor according to the info on their site, but maybe i should consider
buying a better one. So any suggestions are welcome (not the water cooler)

I last did remove the heatsink and placed it back and then it was ok again.
Maybe Kazaa is causing all this problems, i don't know. I will remove it
from the list anyway.

But do you know a way how i can check if my processor is working good?

Old February 3rd 04, 03:09 PM
Buggerlugs

It is a little high, but to be honest i've seen athlon-xp's function
24 hours a day for months at that temperature.

I'd get some heat-transfer gloop (arctic silver or anything else) give
the core a good squirt and then reseat your heatsink.

Is your zalman heatsink one with or without a fan on it?

Old February 3rd 04, 04:12 PM
Wizza

REgarding suggestion for a heatsink, I recommend Zalman CNPS7000A series (CU
version if you have enough bucks to put on, but the ALCU version work great
too). This serie is just amazing! They run cool and the are really quiet!
I have the alcu version with an Antec Sonata case and I love the quietness
of this system!

Wizza

"Shogun" a écrit dans le message de
l...

"JBM" wrote in message
> [...]

l...

Old February 3rd 04, 09:27 PM
JBM

"Shogun" wrote in message
l...

"JBM" wrote in message
> [...]

"Shogun" wrote in message
l...
[...]

Sound like the heatsink and fan are OK, I just wasn't sure if you used the

same one you used on your old 2400+ CPU . You say you removed the heatsink
and replaced it and it was ok. did it go bad again later? Its possible to
apply to much heatsink compound. Also did you orient the heatsink on the
CPU correctly. And I've found copying a DVD makes my

CPU heat up. I use DVD-cloner at http://www.dvd-cloner.com/ they have

a 30 day? fully working trial version. When I first ran this my CPU (P4
2.4C) temp went to 65C after I redid my heatsink the temp go's to 48C

when running this.

Old February 3rd 04, 10:51 PM
Shogun

"KB" wrote in message
I have an XP2800 on mine and it runs at 51c unloaded.
When I had the other hsf on it ran cooler due to min fan speed of 2800

rpm.
This fan runs at 2400 rpm all the time and pushes less air.

Also if my room is cold then the cpu temp drops to around 46c.
The warmer the air pulled in, the warmer the cpu.
A fan cannot pull in cool air if there is none in the room.

I think this could be an issue KB. The temperature in our livingroom is
mostly about 20° C
However my system is placed in a PC-fourniture which is not the best way to
put your system in, but sometimes ya have to. Mae compromises with my wife,
hehe. Otherwise i have to put it on a place where i don't want to be, so
..... ;-)

I will think about it to buy me the newest Zalman Cooler or another one with
same capacities and lower costs .. Which hsf do you use?

l...