Need drivers for Gateway e-4000

Old March 5th 09, 05:11 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Jimw

Default Need drivers for Gateway e-4000

I just bought a used Gateway e-4000 from a reseller. It came complete
except for the harddrive, and the external stuff (keyboard, monitor,
mouse).

This particular computer came from the factory with Windows 2000 and
has the registration numbers on a label.

I have always used Windows98 on my old computers. I am planning to
begin using Linux in the future, so I am not going to waste the money
on buying XP, which will likely be abandoned soon anyhow. But I do
have a legal copy of both 98 and 2000, so I'll install one or the
other. I just installed a hard drive, formatted it and booted it to
Dos.

Now I'm ready to install Windows. The problem is that I can not find
the drivers anywhere. I went to gateway.com, was referred to
mpccorp.com. They have every model listed but skip the e-4000. The
closest is e-4100. I tried their "enter serial number", and it was
not found. I sent them an email and got no reply. I called them, and
after a big runaround I was told that this computer is out of warranty
and I'll have to subscribe and pay by the minute.

All I want are the frikkin drivers, and was hoping to also download a
PDF manual too.

Does anyone know where to get them?

(What is the key for getting into the Bios too).

Here are the specs.

Gateway e series

Model: flexatxskh esx e4000
Serial: 0029773609 -or- GTW0029773609
Dated: 2/25/03

Thanks for all help

Jim
Old March 5th 09, 06:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
SC Tom

According to this article, it looks like the 4000 and the 4100 are close
enough to use the same drivers:
http://www.smartergeek.com/blog/2008...000-and-xp.asp

Here are some of them:
http://support.mpccorp.com/apps/filelist.asp?ID=18140

Can't say for certain about getting into BIOS, but my notebook is F2 to get
in.

SC Tom

news

Old March 5th 09, 06:47 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

Jimw wrote:
[...]

Jim,

First of all, the E-4000 computer probably has an XP Pro service tag on
it. Do not even think about installing Windows 98 on it. The software
is too old for a decent Pentium 4-class computer.

Second, according to an old review I found, the system uses and Intel
845 chipset and probably has Intel 845 graphics, too. The board is most
likely an Intel-made 845-series flashed with a Gateway BIOS. These
boards typically used Intel's own gigabit Ethernet chip. You can find
drivers on the Intel web site, using those for most any 845 chipset
board in the microATX form factor.

Third, well before Acer bought Gateway, Gateway sold off its
"professional" computer line including all maintenance, spares, warranty
service etc to MPC, who, I believe, are in Chapter 11. So much for
getting useful vendor help! But this is a decently made computer. I
have serviced similar Gateway models.

Fourth, the F2 key should get you into the BIOS... Ben Myers
Old March 5th 09, 10:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

SC Tom wrote:
According to this article, it looks like the 4000 and the 4100 are close
enough to use the same drivers:
http://www.smartergeek.com/blog/2008...000-and-xp.asp

Here are some of them:
http://support.mpccorp.com/apps/filelist.asp?ID=18140

Can't say for certain about getting into BIOS, but my notebook is F2 to get
in.

SC Tom

"Jimw" wrote in message
news
[...]

Agreed. Those drivers are close enough. The 4100 uses an Intel 865
chipset, ever so slightly advanced over the 845. SoundMax and Intel
Ethernet are the same between the two, and it is likely that the
865-oriented video drivers will install properly, too.

I have never tried installing 865 drivers on an 845 machine, but I have
a similar experiment planned for tomorrow or the weekend, to deal some
upgrade and replacement scenarios among my clients... Ben
Old March 9th 09, 07:07 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Nelson Ogden

Not all of the drivers will work. You will at least have to load the correct
4000 video drivers. My employer uses both E-4000 and E-4100 computers. When
I get a chance, I will copy the drivers that we have for the 4000. I know we
have the original discs for them. We have probably a hundred computers or so
of each model. Both the 4000 and 4100s are excellent machines, except that
the 4100 has a problem with motherboard capacitors going out. I have
replaced all the caps in most of our 4100s.

I'll try to find our drivers. Maybe I can make an ISO of the driver CD.
There may even be a manual on that CD.

-Nelson

Old March 10th 09, 01:41 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

"SC Tom" wrote in message
According to this article, it looks like the 4000 and the 4100 are close
enough to use the same drivers:
http://www.smartergeek.com/blog/2008...000-and-xp.asp

Here are some of them:
http://support.mpccorp.com/apps/filelist.asp?ID=18140

Can't say for certain about getting into BIOS, but my notebook is F2 to

get
in.

SC Tom

Video and chipset drivers are different between the 4000 (845 chipset)
and the 4100 (865). The 865 chipset drivers downloaded from the INTEL
web site are more comprehensive than whatever might be on the Gateway
web site, and work also with the 845. But while at the Intel web site,
one might as well download the 845 drivers... Ben Myers
Old March 11th 09, 12:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Nelson Ogden

Jim, I made ISOs of our discs for the E-4000 if you still need them.

Here is what I have:

Applications Disc #1 (654 MB):
http://www.ocsnetwork.net/etc/usenet/e4000/apps1.iso
Applications Disc #2 (30 MB):
http://www.ocsnetwork.net/etc/usenet/e4000/apps2.iso
Documentation CD (89 MB):
http://www.ocsnetwork.net/etc/usenet/e4000/docs.iso
Driver CD (201 MB, WinRar Format):
http://www.ocsnetwork.net/etc/usenet/e4000/drivers.rar
Windows 2000 Install CD (367 MB):
http://www.ocsnetwork.net/etc/usenet/e4000/w2ksp2.iso

Let me know if this works. Also let me know when you have finished
downloading what you need because I don't have much space on my server. I
will leave them up as long as I can in case anyone else needs them, though.

I would recommend staying with Windows 2000 or Windows XP. This computer is
plenty powerful enough to handle either of these OS'es.

You will have to extract the drivers CD ISO with WinRar. I was able to
compress it so it would download faster.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Have fun,
Nelson

Old March 12th 09, 08:48 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Jimw[_2_]

Hi Nelson

Thanks so much for this help.
I'm on dialup so downloading these is just not possible. I live in a
rural area and that is all we have here.

On the other hand, I have a friend in the city who has high speed. I
will try to contact him tomorrow and have him download them and burn
me CDs.

I just installed PC-Linux on it and it works, but even for that I need
the video drivers because I am not getting the correct resolution. I
can now install both Linux and Win2000 when I get it all together. I
kind of like Linux, but it's hard to get used to.

I'll let you know when my friend gets these. Thanks so much !!!

I'm glad I dont have the 4100 if it has that cap problem. Seems to be
a problem on many newer motherboards. I had one older MB go up in
smoke some years ago from that. Whaty amazes me is that many old tube
radios and tvs from the 1950s thru 90's still work fine with their old
caps, as well as the old computers from the 80s. They just dont make
anything good anymore !!! Heck these computers are less than 5 years
old. Of course I know these are cheap imported junk caps.

Thanks again !!!!

Jim

Old March 15th 09, 02:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Well, the same mindset responsible for contaminated toothpaste, cough
syrup and pharmaceuticals among other things is responsible for most of
the bad caps in the last ten years. You can determine the quality of a
company by its web site and its documentation. Some of these companies
have neither, because they simply want to shovel product out the door
and never hear from a customer again until the next order. Or if you
get the printed product documentation and it does not have a copyright
statement or any info at all indicating the company that produced the
product.

Lack of regulation and oversight in the pharma and food industries kills
people. Lack of quality control checks in the computer industry means a
lot of bad product out there, but hopefully no deaths due to a capacitor
blowing up and wrecking the computer controlling a satellite launch.

This is the price that we all pay for a business mindset in THIS country
that outsources to shave pennies off the cost of a product and ends up
with a shoddy sack of crap for a product. Welcome to the wonderful
modern world of globalization.

.... Ben Myers

Old March 15th 09, 02:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Nelson Ogden

Jim, I know what you mean about dial-up. That is what I have at home. I hope
your friend has been able to download these ISOs, my Internet connection was
down yesterday for some time.

There are a few different video drivers on the drivers CD. If I get a chance
when I'm back in the office on Tuesday, I will see which driver the 4000
uses and just post that driver. That way, you can download it much faster if
your friend does not get the ISOs downloaded first.

Does your computer have an AGP video card or just integrated graphics?

I also know what you mean about older caps. I, too, have older equipment
that has most of the original caps and still works just fine. I have also
been noticing how much smaller electrolytic capacitors are now than they
used to be. I just replaced the filter caps in a musician's amplifier that
were probably thirty years old. I found some equivalent capacitors in my
junk box that were much older and about twice the size of the amp's
capacitors. I ordered new capacitors for the amp and they are about half the
size of the amp's capacitors for the same voltage and capacity. I wonder if
it is such a good idea to make them so small! The new motherboards have even
tinier caps than boards five years old. They are supposed to last much
longer than the older ones, but I'm not so sure about that. I think that the
new caps' cases have just been redesigned so that they can't "bulge", and
therefore, can't be blamed so easily for the motherboard's failure.
Nelson