AN35N Ultra BIOS Problem??

Old January 5th 04, 03:52 AM
K. W.

Default AN35N Ultra BIOS Problem??

Hi,

I am having some troulbes getting the AN35N Ultra I bought to
recognize my WD 160G/8M HDD.

What I have done:
-First, I used the WDC Data LifeGuard Tools to partition the new
HDD; the tool can see the size as 160G. But when I start to install
either Win2k pro or WinXP pro, it only sees it as 31.49G! No matter
how I partition it, as one sector or as two or three smaller ones.
-Using WinMe bootdisk fdisk doesn't help, either. It also sees it
as 32254 MB.
-Installing Win2K/WinXP directly without WDC DLT doesn't help
either.
-I also installed XP SP1a; updated the atapi.sys to 5.1.2600.1135,
etc.

For each installation, I write all 0s to WD HDD just to make sure I
have a clean start.

Symptoms:
The bootup display shows:
Primary Master Disk: LBA,ATA 100, 33821 MB (it should be 160G)

Also I can't do ANY OC. The multiplier stays at 11.5. If I change
FSB, it will fall back to safe mode (Athlon 1150MHz).

The BIOS is AwardBIOS v6.00PG (AN35S00G -6/10/2003). It should be
recent enough to see at least 137G, right?

I did notice the BIOS ROM SIZE reported as 256K. But the manual
says it should be 2M. Why such a small size? Even my very old
Celeron400 reported 512K. The BIOS chip on the board reads:
PhoenixBIOS
D686 BIOS
Phoenix 1998
115106460

My system:
AMD 2600+ Barton
Enermax 350W PS
Kingston PC2100/256 x 2

Is the BIOS causing the problem, or is this a bad board? I am
really frustrated. This is my first DIY PC. I need your expertise,
please help.

Thanks,

K. W.
Old January 5th 04, 04:20 AM
ICee

K. W. wrote:
[...]

You might want to read this:
http://support.microsoft.com/default...NoWebContent=1

Short link: http://tinyurl.com/258p8

If you have a newer CPU (week 39), the multiplier is probably locked.

Old January 5th 04, 04:23 AM
ICee

ICee wrote:
K. W. wrote:
[...]

Almost forgot. On the WD drive, there is a position for the jumper for
Master, Slave and Only Drive on Cable. Be sure you are using the latter
position if that is the only drive on the IDE port.

Old January 5th 04, 05:56 AM
Kristi

On 4 Jan 2004 18:52:13 -0800, K. W. wrote:

[...]

32gb is max for fat32. Is that your prob?

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...c_fil_lxty.asp

hth
Kristi
Old January 5th 04, 09:59 AM
K. W.

"ICee" wrote in message et...
ICee wrote:
K. W. wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your input. I did tried two jumper configurations: A. Cable
Select, B. Single. The result is the same. The system can see the HDD,
yet confined to 32G. As Western Digital installation guide suggested,
I tried to set CHS (Access Mode) to 1023, 16 heads, and 63 sectors.
But as soon as the system bootup, it just falls back to the following:

Capacity 33821
Cylinder 65530
Head 16
Precomp 0
Landing Zone 65529
Sector 63

It doesn't matter whether I set the Access Mode to "Auto" or "CHS",
or IDE Primary Master "Auto" or "Manual". These number seems "Locked".
Again, is this the BIOS problem? I still don't understand why the BIOS
ROM size is so small. But the BIOS version seems quite recent.

I saw many positive comments on the Shuttle AN35N Ultra
motherboard. But this problem gives me headache. Also, isn't that the
motherboard is supposed to unlock the multiplier?

K.W.
Old January 5th 04, 11:50 AM
baskitcaise

K. W. wrote:
[...]

Have you tried the diagnostic tools from WD, this might help in pointing out
where the problem lies.

Not familiar with WD but some manufacturers have a jumper on the drive that
will restrict access to the first 32gig for compat with older bios`s, does
the WD?

--
Mark
Twixt hill and high water.
Old January 5th 04, 06:26 PM
K. W.

baskitcaise wrote in message ...
K. W. wrote:
[...]

Yes, I tried diagnostic tools. All tests show the HD is ok. But the
Diagnostic tool shows it as 33G, though. But the WD Lifeguard Tool
shows it as 160G.) I've gone through the WD suggestions with no avail.

As for the BIOS, it is released 6/10/2003. And as you can see, this
system uses fairly new hardware recently purchased.

Is there any Shuttle AN35N Ultra users out there who can confirm
they are putting the right ROM chip (the info provided previously) for
my board? I want to know whether this is a WD hard disk problem or
the BIOS or a bad motherboard.

Thanks,

K.W.
Old January 5th 04, 06:46 PM
K. W.

Kristi wrote in message . ..
[...]

Not really. I use NTFS (I see the cluster size defaulted to 4K.) The
problem is the total size available is always 32G no matter how I
partition it. In other words, the system sees it as a 32G hard drive.
And I lost 128G!

K.W.
Old January 5th 04, 06:47 PM
ICee

K. W. wrote:
[...]

The BIOS is fine. They call it 2 Mega*bit*, which is 256 Kilo*byte*.
In the BIOS, you should have anything to do with IDE drives set to AUTO.
Is the drive formatted and is it formatted in FAT or NTFS? FAT has a
limit of 32 MB. NTFS has a limit of around 4 Terabytes.

Old January 5th 04, 06:55 PM
ICee

K. W. wrote:
[...]

Doh! Sorry, that should be 32 GB for FAT formatting.