Power Supply Failure?

Old October 19th 17, 06:38 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Kirk Bubul[_2_]

Default Power Supply Failure?

Boris:

My wife was/is computer illiterate. She got her Windows 7 laptop
in 2009 at age 67. Uses Firefox to get to Youtube lectures and
has very extensive bookmarks. Doesn't email.

I liked Windows 7. I started using Start8 and Start10 when I
moved to Windows 10. Start10 from Stardock.com is only $5.00 and
makes the operating system feel just like Windows 7. Both
Stardock products make Windows8/10 look/work just like Windows 7
(which you said your kin is familiar with).

Others will tell you there are free add-ons that make newer
Windows behave like Windows 7. (I forget their names.)

Bottom line: If/when it comes to it, there are ways to work
around your kin's trepidation about a new operating system. My
wife's transition from Windows 7 to Start 10 18 months ago was
seamless when we bought her new laptop.

Good luck with the power supply. Hope it fixes your problem.
Old October 20th 17, 05:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Kirk Bubul wrote in
:

[...]

Kirk,

I am familiar with Stardock products, and that's a good idea. Thanks.

Old October 21st 17, 08:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

Boris wrote in
5.223:

Hi,

Machine is a Dell Inspiron 530 desktop, circa 2012, running VistaHP
x86, belonging to my 93 year-old mother-in-law. She called me to day
and said "It's broken".

The power button does nothing. When I hold in the power button,
there's no sound whatsoever. The fan in the back of the power supply
does not spin, but the little green light on the back of the power
supply does glow green, When unplugged, the light goes out. Other
than that, nothing makes a sound, and nothing else occurs.

Here's the power supply:

https://postimg.org/image/4hdxxqbwkr/

Sound like a PS issue?

TIA

After swapping out the old power supply for a brand new one, I had my
fingers crossed, but no luck. Next, I suspected the on/off button, so I
jumped, but still no luck. BTW, the first thing I did was to look for
bulging caps, but all looked perfectly fine.

This is as far as I'm willing to go to get this thing running again, I
did salvage the memory, the CD and the hard drive (both SATA). There's
really no information on this hard drive that's not also on grandma's
Win7 laptop, but I will do a comparison. There were no accessory cards.

I'll see what grandma wants to do next. I do have a Dell E520 desktop
running WinXP SP3 that she is welcome to have.

Thanks to all that replied.

Old October 30th 17, 10:02 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
My 2 Cents

On 10/21/2017 8:37 PM, Ben Myers wrote:

I think it's great you are helping a 93 year old keep her mind
active. I've set up a few computers for older folks. You can put the
icon for solitaire and e-mail on the desk top screen so all they have to
do is click the icon after the computer boots up. I like win7
solitaire. You could also put a youtube icon on there and facebook to
try to get her using those.
Old October 30th 17, 08:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Earl Grey

On 10/30/17 5:02 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:
On 10/21/2017 8:37 PM, Ben Myers wrote:

Â*Â*Â*Â* I think it's great you are helping a 93 year old keep her mind
active.Â*Â* I've set up a few computers for older folks.Â* You can put the
icon for solitaire and e-mail on the desk top screen so all they have to
do is click the icon after the computer boots up.Â* I like win7
solitaire.Â* You could also put a youtube icon on there and facebook to
try to get her using those.

Not too condescending, are you ;-)
Old November 1st 17, 04:18 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
micky

In alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, on Mon, 30 Oct 2017 15:37:46 -0400, Earl Grey
wrote:

On 10/30/17 5:02 AM, My 2 Cents wrote:
On 10/21/2017 8:37 PM, Ben Myers wrote:

**** I think it's great you are helping a 93 year old keep her mind
active.** I've set up a few computers for older folks.* You can put the
icon for solitaire and e-mail on the desk top screen so all they have to
do is click the icon after the computer boots up.* I like win7
solitaire.* You could also put a youtube icon on there and facebook to
try to get her using those.

Not too condescending, are you ;-)

Good point. I"m sure she'll be active no matter what.

But otoh, you could put the solitaire, email, and other icons right in
the list of startup programs. I've thought of doing that for myself,
and I'll definitely do it when I'm 92, in preparation for 93. .

I did put the file backup program in the startup list, since I
constantly forgot to backup.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old November 2nd 17, 10:14 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

My 2 Cents wrote in news
On 10/21/2017 8:37 PM, Ben Myers wrote:

I think it's great you are helping a 93 year old keep her mind
active. I've set up a few computers for older folks. You can put the
icon for solitaire and e-mail on the desk top screen so all they have to
do is click the icon after the computer boots up. I like win7
solitaire. You could also put a youtube icon on there and facebook to
try to get her using those.

Grandma wanted us to get her a new pc, saying that when she's 'gone', one
of the 12 grandkids will get it,or one of the 12 great-grand kids will.
Always thinking about everyone else.

So, I got her this:

http://tinyurl.com/y9bzeq3m

when it was on sale for $360.

I set it up on a 27" monitor. I did all the upgrades, and disabled all
telemetry that would cause pop-ups or notifications. I also loaded IE11
(which is not automatically shown, as is Edge). I took all unneeded apps
icons off the taskbar, including Edge and disabled Cortana. I installed
Windows Live Mail 12, which is what is on her Win7 laptop.

I did not activate McAfee. I used the McAfee tool to remove it from the
machine.

The desktop wallpaper is the default blue wave thing, with only a Recycle
Bin icon, an IE11 icon, and a Windows Live Mail 2012 icon.

She has not yet run into the lock screen with "Do you like what you see"
thing. But, if it bothers her, I have a registry hack that will eliminate
that.

BTW, the same small form factor desktop (Inspiron 3668) with the same
specs, is on Black Friday Sale for $329 on the Dell site. It actually is
a pretty nice machine for the price and for general use.
Old November 8th 17, 02:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

I think you probably have burnt toast.
I usually bench test the power supply by connecting green to black or what is appropriate for your psychological
This turns on power supply and you can test all the voltages
When you press the power on it basically does this if in unit and when you power off a SCR on MB turns off connection
There is always a signal there from psu to turn on unit.

The switch itself on computer goes on atx to the screen circuit
That circuit can go bad
You can make a jumper so power supply is always on if a bad sensing circuit

Also many of these units have video card integrated and if it is bad you will see no post
I have had internal video cards go bad on quite a few dell's
Sometimes just adding a cheap video card will do the job.

The fan in the psu should turn if it is powered on by jumping and the internal fan not the cpu fan should also run if PSU is OK
The internal fan is usually not dependent on MBA

I would try a cheap video card and use a psu u it set to be on
If nothing the unit is toast

By the way Ben Hello from .
METRONID
Old November 9th 17, 05:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 8:57:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Long time no hear, METRONID!

Indeed. The power supply is a BESTEC, with a world-wide reputation for crappiness. Any time I see a BESTEC, I hasten to replace it and make sure nobody can ever use it again. And that's even if the Bestec is actually still working. Not exactly a tribute to product quality... Ben Myers