OK To Change PSU For Higher Wattage ?

Old October 7th 04, 08:31 AM
Michael

Default OK To Change PSU For Higher Wattage ?

I've got a mini/micro tower with 112W PSU. This supply is getting noisy,
presumably with age.

The nearest equivalent PSU I can find on the net/ebay is 150 Watts. Would
this be OK to use ?. My processor is Celeron (PII equivalent) on an Intel
810 board.

I've used a PSU calculator website which shows my estimated overall usage
to be 125 Watts , and I don't want to overload the board etc.

Any comments on this please ?

Michael.

Old October 7th 04, 08:58 AM
Apollo

"Michael" wrote in message
. ..
I've got a mini/micro tower with 112W PSU. This supply is getting
noisy, presumably with age.

The nearest equivalent PSU I can find on the net/ebay is 150 Watts.
Would this be OK to use ?. My processor is Celeron (PII equivalent) on
an Intel 810 board.

I've used a PSU calculator website which shows my estimated overall
usage to be 125 Watts , and I don't want to overload the board etc.

Any comments on this please ?

Going for higher output will be fine, bear in mind that you probably
need an AT psu not ATX - check your old one, if you need AT then ATX
will not work / fit.

I assume it's a fan that's making the noise, if the psu is fine
otherwise why not replace the fan - probably cost a few £/$, a
replacement (second-hand) AT psu will probably be of the same age as
yours anyway.

--
Apollo

Old October 7th 04, 09:23 AM
kony

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 08:31:58 +0100, "Michael"
wrote:

I've got a mini/micro tower with 112W PSU. This supply is getting noisy,
presumably with age.

The nearest equivalent PSU I can find on the net/ebay is 150 Watts. Would
this be OK to use ?. My processor is Celeron (PII equivalent) on an Intel
810 board.

I've used a PSU calculator website which shows my estimated overall usage
to be 125 Watts , and I don't want to overload the board etc.

Any comments on this please ?

Michael.

You don't need an AT, a mATX is what you're looking for.
Pay attention to which side mounts to the rear wall of the
case, the long or shorter side, since there are two
configurations for PSU having about the same dimensions.

Yes you can buy a larger wattage unit and it is a good idea
to do so. The wattage is only the maximum capacity, not a
figure that could cause "overload" or anything like that.

I'd be weary of ebay or unknown generic brands though,
better to get something like a Sparkle 180-200W from
someplace with good service and return policy like
http:www.newegg.com

On the other hand, a noisey fan may just need lubed. If you
unplug it from AC for a few minutes then open it, take out
fan, peel back label, a couple drops of thick oil may do the
trick, or you could replace the whole fan if it's plugged,
detachable... or even if it's soldered onto the PCB if
you're inclined to do so.

Old October 8th 04, 12:36 AM
do_not_spam_me

"Michael" wrote in message ...

I've got a mini/micro tower with 112W PSU. This supply is getting noisy,

The nearest equivalent PSU I can find on the net/ebay is 150 Watts.
My processor is Celeron (PII equivalent) on an Intel 810 board.

I've used a PSU calculator website which shows my estimated overall usage
to be 125 Watts , and I don't want to overload the board etc.

Those calculators tend to estimate on the high side. A system like
yours will probably work fine with any good 90W supply, and many mini
systems have included very good supplies, makes such as Astec (not
Antec), Fortron, Delta, Newton, and Meanwell. I'd be reluctant to
substitute a mini-ATX (mATX) supply with just anything, especially an
eBay mystery brand, even one rated for much higher wattage.
www.pricewatch.com, www.newegg.com, and www.directron.com list some
mATX models, the largest I've seen being rated 180W (possibly
Fortron).

Fans aren't difficult to replace but require knowledge of working on
high voltage devices. Unplug the power cord and don't merely turn off
the power strip switch. If the new fan doesn't simply plug in, either
solder to the board or splice in (cut original fan wires several
inches from the board), making good splices (butt splices covered with
heatshrink, wire nuts) because I've seen wires simply twisted together
and covered with electrical tape, which can create shorts when the
tape unravels, possibly to high voltage (heatsinks can be live).
Old October 9th 04, 01:16 AM
terry smith

As has been mentioned it is probably just the fan.
Have a look at the fan to make sure it is not catching on anything.

Fan are really simple devices and a clean up and/or a drop of oil
should do the trick.

. ..

Old October 9th 04, 03:08 PM
Michael

Its definitely not the fans , I replaced the cpu fan. Its also not the 8cm
psu fan, its whisper quiet. Also connected psu fan to a battery to verify
it. I also bought a new 8cm fan which made a lot more noise when connected
to a battery , didn't connect it to psu though.

Mike.

Old October 9th 04, 04:13 PM
terry smith

What kind of noise is it?
I don't know what else could make a noise, capacitors can sometimes make
a noise I think, or you hay have some sort sparking or soomething like that?

Old October 9th 04, 07:40 PM
Michael

A whining noise,bit like aircraft taxiing on a runway ! When it first boots
up everything noisewise is ok but after about 5 minutes start to hear this
whining noise which gradually gets more and more noticeable.

I don't have to do any work on the computer to hear this noise ,but if I am
working it doesn't show itself in errors on the screen etc.

The only problems I have had in the recent past was keyboard and mouse
locking up after about an hour or so usage.The keyboard and mouse then
resume working after about 2 minutes.

Old October 9th 04, 08:23 PM
Zotin Khuma

"Michael" wrote in message ...
Its definitely not the fans , I replaced the cpu fan. Its also not the 8cm
psu fan, its whisper quiet. Also connected psu fan to a battery to verify
it. I also bought a new 8cm fan which made a lot more noise when connected
to a battery , didn't connect it to psu though.

Which brings us to the Q : What's making the noise ?
If something other than the fans is noisy, it warrants investigation
unless you're sure that it's the PSU, in which case it'd be better to
replace it. Personally I use a medical stethoscope to pinpoint the
source of abnormal noise inside an electronic product. I remove the
contact pad (the piece doctors place on your chest), point the rubber
pipe to possible sources and usually manage to isolate the culprit in
a few seconds. Vibration transmitted along the metal case structure
can make this a bit tricky.

If you're going to open the PSU to check which component is noisy
while it's powered on, BE CAREFUL ! Not recommended for the untrained.

As others have pointed out, it won't do any harm to use a PSU with a
higher rating. It will *not* force the higher power/current to flow
into your PC. It's simply the max that can be drawn from it without
overtaxing the PSU.

Should I change RAM?? zm General 6 September 18th 04 10:17 PM
this a good time to change a vga card? user General 0 August 20th 04 11:56 PM
Getting the right wattage on a PSU Etno General 7 January 5th 04 11:53 PM
How can i change a hardrive in a portable toshiba sattelite 1730 CDT? Xavier Costa General 5 November 25th 03 09:18 AM
Does higher wattage power supply equal higher electricity drain???? [email protected] General 21 November 23rd 03 04:53 PM