Fastest workstation storage

Old April 25th 05, 04:15 AM

U comp.periphs.scsi .::SuperBLUE::. prica:

This workstation is used for various 35mm film and hdtv video production
effects.

Now we're talking...

I believe you'll need some kind of redundancy (don't forget backups too)...
RAID10 would be my option here... Speed of RAID0 + redundancy of RAID1...
I'd go with hardware based RAID controller... Check ICP Vortex and LSI
Logic... Don't know about Adaptec's, some models aren't very good
performers...

http://www.icp-vortex.com/english/product/prodrdy_e.htm

http://www.lsilogic.com/products/megaraid/index.html

BTW, there could be some problems with software RAID (hence, hardware RAID
too!)... Like some strange drops in read/write speed if stripe size is not
set properly... Don't ask me how to set it properly, try every stripe size,
and see how it performs (using HDTach or some other benchmark utility)...
Just to let you know about that...

--
"Divovskis li crncugau komponiru ?" upita koka guzi biljkau vjesu.
"Ne znam ja nista !" rece medoo zigoshe "Ja samo rasisto podmazuje trijezanm !" By runf

Damir Lukic,
a member of hr.comp.hardver FAQ-team
Old April 25th 05, 04:42 AM
Eric Gisin

wrote in message
U comp.periphs.scsi Eric Gisin prica:
4 IDE drives will do 300MB/s today, an Ultra320 channel is less.

Well, to tell you the truth... RAID0 over 12 Hitachi 160GB/8MB 7K250 drives
(SATA), on 3Ware 9500S-12 SATA RAID controller, and I could get 350MB/s

read
and 210MB/s write speed... How the heck could you get 300MB/s on 4 ATA
drives?!!!!!

3Ware 9500S-12, 128MB cache, PCI-X 66MHz
12x Hitachi 7K250, 160GB/8MB, 64kb stripe size

PCI-X/66 is 480MB/s, the 3ware's CPU is not capable of filling it.

On previous generation chipsets, the ICH5 was measured around 200MB/s with 4
drives a couple years ago. The ICH6-MCH link is as fast as PCI-X/133, and is
available on $100 mainboards.

Hardware RAID cards often have a STR bottleneck, which is not important for
most server applications.

The machine was a video-capture workstation... Tested with BlackMagic

Design
software for video-capture speed testing... Capture card was BlackMagic
Design DectLink Extreme IIRC...

Old April 25th 05, 01:18 PM

U comp.periphs.scsi Eric Gisin prica:
PCI-X/66 is 480MB/s, the 3ware's CPU is not capable of filling it.

Theoretically - 64bit * 66MHz / 8bit/byte= 528MB/s

I am not so sure that 9500S-12 is not capable of doing it... We're talking
about real read/write speed (used by BlackMagic Design application)...

On previous generation chipsets, the ICH5 was measured around 200MB/s with 4
drives a couple years ago. The ICH6-MCH link is as fast as PCI-X/133, and is
available on $100 mainboards.

Well, great... On which drives, and what speed is measured? Host to buffer
or what? 200MB/s on 4 drives is hard to believe... Real performanse, of
course...

--
Djedica leti drazesan lubenicao kolje satima u tramvaju ?

Old April 25th 05, 03:01 PM
Peter

Fast is a generic term. Be more specific. Fast RAID for a
database, web server or a streaming application requires a
different selection criteria.

This workstation is used for various 35mm film and hdtv video production
effects.

Do you have or already decided what video production hardware
(like capture cards) you are going to have?

Same for the workstation. Do you have it already and now looking
for a fast storage system, or still trying to decide which workstation
to get?

Old April 25th 05, 09:46 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"Eric Gisin" wrote in message
"Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message eenews.net...
"Eric Gisin" wrote in message
Don't be stupid. Hardware RAID is of no benefit on the desktop, especially
from Adaptec.

If you do not have PCI-X, the fastest (STR) available is RAID 0 on Intel's
i9XX and nForce4 SATA2.

If you want a fast workstation, get a 15K SCSI OS drive, and IDE for data.

And you said "Don't be stupid"?

This is an A/V workstation.

So why SCSI for the OS at all.

7200 IDE has taken over 10K SCSI in this application, because of price and
drive capacity.

4 IDE drives will do 300MB/s today,

Rapters, which are 10K. And you never said 'Raid' IDE for data.

an Ultra320 channel is less.

But not by that much using packetized-SCSI protocol.
And the 39320 is dual channel.

Tell us Folknuts, what would you recommend?

You were the one that said : "Don't be stupid". Not me.
Sounds like this is your favourite stopword with little meaning.

Or are you just going to troll?

Bad Rod 'The Kane' Speed impersonation: All posture and no show.

Old April 25th 05, 09:47 PM
Folkert Rienstra

wrote in message
U comp.periphs.scsi Eric Gisin prica:
4 IDE drives will do 300MB/s today, an Ultra320 channel is less.

Well, to tell you the truth... RAID0 over 12 Hitachi 160GB/8MB 7K250 drives
(SATA), on 3Ware 9500S-12 SATA RAID controller, and I could get 350MB/s read
and 210MB/s write speed...

How the heck could you get 300MB/s on 4 ATA drives?!!!!!

4 (second generation) Raptors, on outer zones.

Old April 25th 05, 09:51 PM
Folkert Rienstra

wrote in message
U comp.periphs.scsi Folkert Rienstra prica:
39320 is not a RAID controller...

Yes, it is. Just not an all purpose one.

? Hmmm? 39320 is, accoring to Adaptec's support page

And why look at the support page?

plain SCSI HBA... RAID?
Sorry, I couldn't find any RAID funcion in it... Any links?

Odd.
'HostRAID' gives me several references including
"Adaptec SCSI Card 39320(D)-R" product specification pages.
AFAICT the HostRAID support is in the SCSI chip itself so I can't
see how there would be a version of 39320 without that capability.

You could possibly use software RAID0 solution,

That is what all RAID is, software.
The only difference is where this software runs on/runs in,
whether that's a dedicated processor, bios+driver or driver only.

OK, I get your point...

but I don't recommend it...

Who cares what you recommend.

Well, yes, who cares?

Second... What kind of speed you need? Fast read, write, seek?

Do you always have to ask questions that the post already answers?

I intend to get as much info as possible...

All answers were already in that post.
Old April 26th 05, 12:47 AM

U comp.periphs.scsi Folkert Rienstra prica:

'HostRAID' gives me several references including
"Adaptec SCSI Card 39320(D)-R" product specification pages.
AFAICT the HostRAID support is in the SCSI chip itself so I can't
see how there would be a version of 39320 without that capability.

Hmmm, HostRAID... My bad, you're right... It has got RAID 0/1 support...
I tried with RAID adapters from Adaptec at this page:

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...e=supportindex

All answers were already in that post.

In some other post, not the one I answered firstly, read again...

--
Albanaca rascvjetava zajeban Madjaro mase navecer. By runf

Old April 26th 05, 03:43 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
.::SuperBLUE::. wrote:

39320 is not a RAID controller...

http://www.geizhals.at/eu/?cat=sccraid&sort=p

Depends on your definition.

Or yours.

It appears to be host-based, in other words

SCSI 'Host' adapter based.

it's software RAID only

Nonsense.
"Adaptec's HostRAID includes Hardware Mirroring, where the
mirroring of data written to disk drives is performed in hardware".

with BIOS support for boot.

That's true also to all hardware RAID.