(Old) Tape Library ... where to find more information?

Old February 3rd 05, 06:33 AM
Hanno 'Rince' Wagner

Default (Old) Tape Library ... where to find more information?

Hi,

recently I was able to buy an old Tape Library for myself at home. I
wasn't able to test it (and I was expecting problems but I wanted
to test it. It has the lable "transtec 7500" in the front of the
machine, it has one DLT-Drive in it and it can store up to 9
DL-Tapes in it.

But when I try to start it, the DLT-Drive itself seems to have
problems. At least it sounds like it tries to "open" itself but
isn't able to.
Now my question:

- does anyone here knows that box and knows where I can find more
documentation?

- I have a standalone DLT-Drive already in a Sun Unipack. Is it
possible to switch the broke DLT-Drive in that library against the
one in the Unipack or are they completely different?

Is there a "manual" way to open such a DLT-Drive?

Ciao, Hanno
--
#Wieso starb der Informatiker in der Dusche? Auf dem Shampoo stand:
#Auftragen. Einreiben. Wiederholen.
Old February 3rd 05, 08:37 AM
Michael Ettengruber

"Hanno 'Rince' Wagner" wrote in message
Hi,

recently I was able to buy an old Tape Library for myself at home. I
wasn't able to test it (and I was expecting problems but I wanted
to test it. It has the lable "transtec 7500" in the front of the
machine, it has one DLT-Drive in it and it can store up to 9
DL-Tapes in it.

But when I try to start it, the DLT-Drive itself seems to have
problems. At least it sounds like it tries to "open" itself but
isn't able to.
Now my question:

- does anyone here knows that box and knows where I can find more
documentation?

- I have a standalone DLT-Drive already in a Sun Unipack. Is it
possible to switch the broke DLT-Drive in that library against the
one in the Unipack or are they completely different?

Is there a "manual" way to open such a DLT-Drive?

A quick Google search using "transtec 7500" dlt as argument revealed
http://www.transtec.de/D/D/products/.../dlt1vs80.html

I´d contact the manufacturer maybe he´s willing to help.

HTH

Etti
DoD #2503

Old February 4th 05, 08:01 PM
RPR

There are different mechanics and firmware implementations between
standalone and library DLT drives. The standalone drive probably won't
communicate with the library via the serial port.

Ralf-Peter