Video cards with matrox-style video out?

Old February 18th 04, 03:55 PM
Paul Hutchings

Default Video cards with matrox-style video out?

I currently run a Matrox G450 with twin analog outputs.

One goes to my TFT, the other goes to my TV via s-video.

I'm looking at getting a 19" TFT and figured it'd be a good time to get a
video card with DVI outputs - I know matrox have a good rep for 2D but I
think 1280x1024 would probably show some loss of quality vs a DVI?

Anyway, one of the things I like about the matrox is that you tell it the
second output is being used as a TV-output and if you play a video/DVD the
only thing that gets output to the TV is the video signal, no desktop or
any extra junk.

Any suggestions on a cheap AGP card that does this? There seem to be a load
of cheap ATI/Nvidia cards but I'm not sure how their video out works.. the
Matrox cards seem a little pricey in comparison.

Not into 3D games and if i do play them I tend to stick to 800x600 as
otherwise i seem to get motion sickness?!

TIA,
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old February 18th 04, 08:01 PM
Alien Zord

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
. 1.4...
[...]

My 17" NEC LCD 1280 x 1024 pixels is fed by Matrox G450eTV's analogue
output. I tried a more up to date card with DVI interface but it would not
allow colour temperature calibration so I went back to analogue. There was
absolutely no difference in display sharpness and quality between DVI and
analogue modes.

Old February 18th 04, 08:15 PM
Paul Hutchings

"Alien Zord" wrote in
:

My 17" NEC LCD 1280 x 1024 pixels is fed by Matrox G450eTV's analogue
output. I tried a more up to date card with DVI interface but it would
not allow colour temperature calibration so I went back to analogue.
There was absolutely no difference in display sharpness and quality
between DVI and analogue modes.

That's interesting.. I know matrox have a bloody good reputation for
"clean" signal output versus some of the cheaper cards, I guess i just
figured it'd be visibly noticable at that resolution, maybe not then.

regards
Paul
paul at spamcop.net
Old February 18th 04, 08:29 PM
Alien Zord

"Paul Hutchings" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Alien Zord" wrote in
:

My 17" NEC LCD 1280 x 1024 pixels is fed by Matrox G450eTV's analogue
output. I tried a more up to date card with DVI interface but it would
not allow colour temperature calibration so I went back to analogue.
There was absolutely no difference in display sharpness and quality
between DVI and analogue modes.

That's interesting.. I know matrox have a bloody good reputation for
"clean" signal output versus some of the cheaper cards, I guess i just
figured it'd be visibly noticable at that resolution, maybe not then.

The only negative side of the G450 is that at 1280 x 1024 scrolling in Adobe
Acrobat is a bit slow. Everything else is OK by me (I don't play games).

Video problems? Kedrid General 0 February 11th 04 08:32 PM
Where to get replacement video card fan? Or maybe just use a heatsink? Vanguard General 3 September 20th 03 07:24 PM
2 video cards on the same system Willy Radisson General 4 September 3rd 03 09:48 PM
Nforce 2 onboard video - hows it compare to a Geforce 2 GTS card? kony General 1 August 31st 03 07:30 PM
Matrox video card D F Bonnett General 3 August 10th 03 03:58 AM