I solved a problem today that I have had since I have been building computers.

Old January 26th 14, 10:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

Default I solved a problem today that I have had since I have been building computers.

No more trial and error in screw sizes.

I bought one of each of these (nuts):
6-32 x .25": Used in PC case cover and I/O plates
6-32 x .15": Used to install hard drives
M3 x .25": Used to install floppy drive, CD-ROM drive and motherboard
4-40 x .18": Used in I/O plate connector

And one of these:
http://www.toolup.com/empire-level_2...FZDm7AodYkAAhg
Old January 26th 14, 11:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Metspitzer wrote:
No more trial and error in screw sizes.

I bought one of each of these (nuts):
6-32 x .25": Used in PC case cover and I/O plates
6-32 x .15": Used to install hard drives
M3 x .25": Used to install floppy drive, CD-ROM drive and motherboard
4-40 x .18": Used in I/O plate connector

And one of these:
http://www.toolup.com/empire-level_2...FZDm7AodYkAAhg

I use those magnets here. At one time, The Source (our
equivalent of Radio Shack) used to carry them. But I've
also found them at the hardware store. The price is
highly variable, with some stores trying to gouge
you for those magnets. The ceramic magnets will "chip"
on the edge, if struck or dropped. Otherwise, I like them.
I have around 20 to 25 of those magnets, and they're all
busy "doing stuff" :-)

If you build your own computers, and purchase a computer
case in a cardboard box as part of your build, those come
with a bag of screws. And if I needed a fastener of the
sort you list, I'd go through the left-overs from those
bags, to see if I had any.

At one time, a "retail" hard drive purchase, came in a
cardboard box, with a foam liner. And include 3.5" to 5.25"
U-shaped pieces for drive mounting conversion, as well as
eight screws to fit that stuff. And that's where some of
my drive screws came from. Even if the Maxtor drives
that came in those boxes died, the screws lived on to
help the replacement drives.

Paul
Old January 27th 14, 01:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:45:20 -0500, Paul wrote:

And if I needed a fastener of the
sort you list, I'd go through the left-overs from those
bags, to see if I had any.

Mine's so large I've 6x6x6" box to hold them (several bags;- I
subcategorizes them )
Old January 27th 14, 09:26 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_7_]

On 01/26/2014 01:56 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
No more trial and error in screw sizes.

I bought one of each of these (nuts): 6-32 x .25": Used in PC case
cover and I/O plates 6-32 x .15": Used to install hard drives M3 x
.25": Used to install floppy drive, CD-ROM drive and motherboard 4-40
x .18": Used in I/O plate connector

And one of these:
http://www.toolup.com/empire-level_2...ets-2-pcs.aspx

If you ever see a microwave oven on the side of the road waiting for the
trashman, you can harvest two nice ceramic donut magnets from the
magnetron inside. You do need to be careful around the deadly capacitor
inside there, as it is of the order of 1uF at 2kV, so discharge it once
you get inside.

I've got about sixty or so of them; put them in series and they've got a
pretty good tug.

Jon
Old January 27th 14, 11:57 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

Jon will be giving a safety course later, on how not
to die while playing inside your microwave oven :-)

Paul
Old January 27th 14, 12:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Yousuf Khan[_2_]

On 26/01/2014 4:56 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
No more trial and error in screw sizes.

I bought one of each of these (nuts):
6-32 x .25": Used in PC case cover and I/O plates
6-32 x .15": Used to install hard drives
M3 x .25": Used to install floppy drive, CD-ROM drive and motherboard
4-40 x .18": Used in I/O plate connector

And one of these:
http://www.toolup.com/empire-level_2...FZDm7AodYkAAhg

What is the magnet for? To magnetize a screwdriver, so it can pick up
nuts that fall? You can use any standard fridge magnet for that.

Yousuf Khan
Old January 27th 14, 12:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 06:26:07 -0500, Yousuf Khan
What is the magnet for? To magnetize a screwdriver, so it can pick up
nuts that fall? You can use any standard fridge magnet for that.

Yousuf Khan

magnetic tip screwdrivers, magnetizer/demagnetizer block for regular
screwdrivers when assembling; stacks of rare earth magnets from China
via Ebay are always handy for when old cabnet door-closed, retaining
mechanisms go on the fritz: just drill out a little circular mating
holes to cabnet and door to retain neomags with liquid nails
Old January 27th 14, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
metspitzer

wrote:

On 26/01/2014 4:56 PM, Metspitzer wrote:
No more trial and error in screw sizes.

I bought one of each of these (nuts):
6-32 x .25": Used in PC case cover and I/O plates
6-32 x .15": Used to install hard drives
M3 x .25": Used to install floppy drive, CD-ROM drive and motherboard
4-40 x .18": Used in I/O plate connector

And one of these:
http://www.toolup.com/empire-level_2...FZDm7AodYkAAhg

What is the magnet for? To magnetize a screwdriver, so it can pick up
nuts that fall? You can use any standard fridge magnet for that.

Yousuf Khan

I use a fishing tackle box to keep spare screws in. I put the magnet
in one of the spare trays and stick the nuts to them so I can always
find them when I need them.

I was on the lookout for a block of metal that had the 4 holes tapped
to use as a gauge for size, but I couldn't find one. A magnet with
nuts stuck to it is the second best thing.

Old January 27th 14, 05:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jon Danniken[_7_]

On 01/27/2014 02:57 AM, Paul wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

Indeed I will! I saw a video on YT recently where a fellow hooked up a
mangetron (and associated components) outside of a microwave, and turned
it on. I don't think I've cringed that hard in my life.

Jon

Old January 27th 14, 06:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Chris S.[_3_]

Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

Social Darwinism....

Chris