Mouse priority

Old January 15th 14, 01:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rebel1

Default Mouse priority

Sometimes the movement of the cursor on the screen in response to my
moving the mouse (wireless, USB, Logitech) is erratic or jumpy. Usually
the hard drive activity light is on, so it seems like some other task is
being given higher priority than the mouse.

How can I elevate the priority of the mouse? I don't see a way of doing
it using Device Manager/Mouse or Device Manager/Devices and
Printers/Logitech Unifying Receiver.

Windows 8.

Thanks,

R1
Old January 15th 14, 07:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Rebel1 wrote:
Sometimes the movement of the cursor on the screen in response to my
moving the mouse (wireless, USB, Logitech) is erratic or jumpy. Usually
the hard drive activity light is on, so it seems like some other task is
being given higher priority than the mouse.

How can I elevate the priority of the mouse? I don't see a way of doing
it using Device Manager/Mouse or Device Manager/Devices and
Printers/Logitech Unifying Receiver.

Windows 8. --- There's your problem :-)

Thanks,

R1

I don't think anyone at Microsoft has noticed that
Windows 8 isn't a very good OS :-) They've attempted
to run lots of things as if they were "tasks", and
in my book, it isn't working right. The OS "reserves"
CPU cycles for itself - which is the developers way
of trying to make the GUI "responsive". But, it just
doesn't work right. And I can't see anyone at
Microsoft admitting that, and making a major change
to the implementation. All they want to do now,
is make pretty icons on the desktop. That's the future
level of change from Microsoft.

In my experience, PS/2 connected devices have the most
reliable input. There is "less software" in the input
path with PS/2. I don't think you really wanted that
as an answer though. As PS/2 is disappearing on
computers, never to return. It doesn't use a software
polling technique, so it's harder to screw up the
input process under corner conditions (heavy CPU load,
kernel taking a snooze because you're jammed in a
disk I/O call).

Paul

Old January 29th 14, 06:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:39:47 PM UTC+8, Rebel1 wrote:
Sometimes the movement of the cursor on the screen in response to my

What I find is on my laptop with a trackpad and a USB mouse (since I use both an external USB keyboard and USB mouse), the trackpad is more reliable, as is the built-in laptop keyboard, since sometimes, as is common with USB connections the mouse and/or kb, the mouse/kb will hang for up to 30 seconds until it comes back.

As to elevating priority, that would be tough to do I think, as it goes to system internal calls.

RL
Old January 29th 14, 11:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 22:09:28 -0800 (PST), RayLopez99
wrote:

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:39:47 PM UTC+8, Rebel1 wrote:
Sometimes the movement of the cursor on the screen in response to my

What

I find is on my laptop with a trackpad and a USB mouse (since I use
both an external USB keyboard and USB mouse), the trackpad is more
reliable, as is the built-in laptop keyboard, since sometimes, as is
common with USB connections the mouse and/or kb, the mouse/kb will
hang for up to 30 seconds until it comes back.

Using USB, a mini-keyboard KM400 series, and mouse. Both Logitec,
both replaced older Logitec models, and both requiring their own
included USB transmitter dongle on XP/SP3.

Logitec has fallen in software, although for the money neither can be
presently beat for useable hardware in the mini-form. Especially the
mouse. It's indestructible from the standpoint of the older model,
having replaced the center mouse roller, (usually assignable to, say,
browser page-movement mechanism, or an audio apps' vol control), a
mechanical affair, with a touchpad strip performing that same
function.

Add to that the new rechargeable no-memory NICAD batteries, Tennergy
on par with Enelop, which never effectively are imposed on by the LED
unit run-on, running it out of power, and it'll run from just about
any surface, either from off my clear glass coffee or directly off the
shag carpet.

$20 for the keyboard and $10 for the mouse in US dollars. One of the
two keyboard's larger left shift sensor may be going out after near
two year's steady usage. The older mouse, however, a girlfriend was
freshly wearing it out on me, "rubbing it in," off into oblivion upon
the carpet. An amazing woman, actually, a professional dancer of some
remarkably singular beauties, whose capacity and love of music was
only to be equaled by her capacity for driving me stark-raving nuts.

I can proudly attest that I was than only slightly enthralled to
literally throw that mouse to her-- with little doubt left in her
grinning lasciviously at me from the carpet where she liked lying in
front of FooBar's audio interface;-- what sheer pleasure I cannot
veritably describe by measure to anyone here listening, to justify a
scale of satisfaction I derived in tossing that to her. It was as if,
suddenly to realized, I were proffering a rather large center hambone
to some vicarious, over-muscled pitbull, and it was slobbering and
entralled, all at once, all over me.

I had to kick her out of my house shortly after, I'm so sad but
undeniably better off to say, although in being in candid truth
positive she would never have "rubbed out" that particular mouse.
Old January 29th 14, 12:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 06:59:34 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

Sorry for the last two drafted paragraph's capitalized corrections.

I can proudly attest that I was MORE than just slightly enthralled to
literally throw that mouse to her-- with little doubt left HOW AFFECTED HER
REACTION, grinning lasciviously UP at me from the carpet whereUPON she
liked lying in front of FooBar's audio interface;-- NOR what sheer pleasure IT IS
[THAT] cannot veritably BE described by measure to anyone here listening, to
justify a scale of satisfaction I derived in tossing that to her. It was as if [DEL]
suddenly to realize[DEL][DEL] I were proffering a rather large center hambone
to some vicarious, over-muscled pitbull, [DEL] slobbering and
entralled, all at once, all over me.

I had to kick her out of my house shortly after, I'm so sad but
undeniably better off to say, although in being [DEL] ALL candid truth
positive she would never have "rubbed out" that particular mouse.