Windows Update just produced a BSOD (ati radeon HD 4300 Update) Vista 32 Bit

Old August 31st 10, 05:30 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Stephen H. Fischer[_2_]

Default Windows Update just produced a BSOD (ati radeon HD 4300 Update) Vista 32 Bit

Hi,

Windows Update just produced a BSOD (ati radeon HD 4300 Update) Vista 32 Bit
after the screen got distorted, so watch this WU.

SHF

Old August 31st 10, 11:47 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
KCB[_2_]

"Stephen H. Fischer" wrote in message
Hi,

Windows Update just produced a BSOD (ati radeon HD 4300 Update) Vista 32
Bit after the screen got distorted, so watch this WU.

SHF

NEVER update your video card drivers from Windows Update. Get them from the
card manufacturer's web site, or directly from Nvidia or ATI/AMD, or whoever
made the chipset, if not one of those two. ALWAYS uninstall the old drivers
first.

Old September 1st 10, 04:46 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Stephen H. Fischer[_2_]

Hi,

Yes, I have a headache that caused me to not realize what was being offered.

But WHY does Windows Update offer a update that causes a BSOD?

Is everyone asleep at the switch?

SHF

Old September 2nd 10, 02:21 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Chuck

"KCB" wrote in message

"Stephen H. Fischer" wrote in message
Hi,

Windows Update just produced a BSOD (ati radeon HD 4300 Update) Vista
32 Bit after the screen got distorted, so watch this WU.

SHF

NEVER update your video card drivers from Windows Update. Get them
from the card manufacturer's web site, or directly from Nvidia or
ATI/AMD, or whoever made the chipset, if not one of those two. ALWAYS
uninstall the old drivers first.

It likely happened because the existing drivers were older than the
windows update driver. obviously, new ATI drivers are available.
The BSOD may have occurred because you did not uninstall the old driver
first, and revert to the MS SVGA driver before installing the update.
Old September 2nd 10, 02:43 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Stephen H. Fischer[_2_]

Hi,

If I did not have the headache I would not have selected the Video Driver
download. Going to W7 from Vista very soon, that hopefully will fix the HDTV
capture playback problem I am seeing and was part of my failed brain
mistake.

With Windows Update, it is suppose to be a hands off operation for the less
skilled.

So no uninstall of the old driver could be done by me, if needed it must be
done by Windows Update and I think it was as the screen resolution changed
to low res.

I still cannot understand:

Old September 2nd 10, 06:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Benjamin Gawert

Am 02.09.2010 02:43, * Stephen H. Fischer:

I still cannot understand:

But WHY does Windows Update offer a update that causes a BSOD?

It offers a driver that happen to cause a BSOD on your specific system.
This is not necessarily true for other systems out there.

Benjamin
Old September 2nd 10, 05:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Foke

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 18:43:18 -0700, "Stephen H. Fischer"
wrote:

Going to W7 from Vista very soon [...]

You're going from Windows 7 to Vista? Let me assure you, that won't fix
anything.
Old September 3rd 10, 01:29 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Jim Beard[_2_]

On 09/01/2010 09:43 PM, Stephen H. Fischer wrote:
Hi,

If I did not have the headache I would not have selected the
Video Driver download. Going to W7 from Vista very soon, that
hopefully will fix the HDTV capture playback problem I am seeing
and was part of my failed brain mistake.

With Windows Update, it is suppose to be a hands off operation
for the less skilled.

So no uninstall of the old driver could be done by me, if needed
it must be done by Windows Update and I think it was as the
screen resolution changed to low res.

I still cannot understand:

But WHY does Windows Update offer a update that causes a BSOD?

Everyone enjoys casting aspersions at a scapegoat. Microsoft
wants your user experience to be pleasant.

Enjoy.

If the pleasure becomes more than you can stand, install an
industrial-strength operating system. (Hint: Do learn
something about what you will need to do to use it, first.)
Or switch to the Mac/OS X.

Cheers!

jim b.

--
UNIX is not user unfriendly; it merely
expects users to be computer-friendly.
Old September 3rd 10, 03:39 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
GMAN[_13_]

wrote:

Going to W7 from Vista very soon [...]

You're going from Windows 7 to Vista? Let me assure you, that won't fix
anything.

Read the OP message again.He is going "To" W7 "From" Vista