looking for small lcd monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio

Old July 25th 08, 08:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

Default looking for small lcd monitor with 16:9 aspect ratio

Would like to buy a 16:9 monitor to use for both PC
and TV without screen distortion, but have high
resolution for PC applications. 24 inch widescreen
or less ... native resolution 1920 x 1080 only.
Finding it very hard to get past the vendor jargon
claiming 1920 x 1200 is a 16:9 when it is a 16:10
..... and then the TV vendors claiming that 1333 x
768 is high resolution. The one I really want is a
Dell S2409W, but the Chinese Children are still
building them, and it is not on the market yet.

johns
Old July 26th 08, 12:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly

On Jul 25, 3:44 pm, johns wrote:
Would like to buy a 16:9 monitor to use for both PC
and TV without screen distortion, but have high
resolution for PC applications. 24 inch widescreen
or less ... native resolution 1920 x 1080 only.
Finding it very hard to get past the vendor jargon
claiming 1920 x 1200 is a 16:9 when it is a 16:10
.... and then the TV vendors claiming that 1333 x
768 is high resolution. The one I really want is a
Dell S2409W, but the Chinese Children are still
building them, and it is not on the market yet.

johns

I've a couple -- a 32" Syntax (here's to looking at you) and a NEC 37"
across the room for my mooies, music, & etc. Both with AGP Radeon
96/98xx series ATI boards. I've OEM ATI graphic drivers for native
1333x768 on these older boards, OMEGA drivers. I don't do TeeVee
jargon, as I don't $ub$cribe anymore since the past 5, 10 years -- QAM
suffices here occasionally for a couple PBS types. Trust me on this.
Remember when CRTs were supplanted with LCDs...well, it's like that.
Get a well-reviewed HDTeeVee and you won't look back twice. Skip the
24" and go for the gusto -- as big "in your face" as you can take.
'PC applications' -- what's that mean? Games?
Old July 26th 08, 08:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Flasherly wrote:

I've a couple -- a 32" Syntax (here's to looking at you) and a NEC 37"
across the room for my mooies, music, & etc. Both with AGP Radeon
96/98xx series ATI boards. I've OEM ATI graphic drivers for native
1333x768 on these older boards, OMEGA drivers. I don't do TeeVee
jargon, as I don't $ub$cribe anymore since the past 5, 10 years -- QAM
suffices here occasionally for a couple PBS types. Trust me on this.
Remember when CRTs were supplanted with LCDs...well, it's like that.
Get a well-reviewed HDTeeVee and you won't look back twice. Skip the
24" and go for the gusto -- as big "in your face" as you can take.
'PC applications' -- what's that mean? Games?

Confused on what you are saying above.

Do you mean to buy big LCD TVs and use them as PC
monitors and set BACK and do you computing?

If yes..... this works out well for you?
Old July 26th 08, 10:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
johns

He has discovered what I've also discovered. The industry is moving
to 16:9, but there is no market for small lcd TVs ... so the size has
jumped a lot. Still, my need is also a desktop lcd monitor, but it is
going to be used in a fan-out to 3 monitors. 2 of them will be 46
inchers
for students to view, and the 3rd needs to also be 16:9, but small
for the teacher to view at the same time. What I am trying to do
is come from a single video card output to a 1 in x 3 out amplifier
and drive 3 16:9 monitors at the same resolution. That will prevent
distortion caused by polling between dual monitors using 2 outputs
from the video card. That really looks crappy. But the fan-out box
from a single video card output prevents that, and it looks great.

johns
Old July 27th 08, 03:17 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly

On Jul 26, 3:00 pm, wrote:
Flasherly wrote:
I've a couple -- a 32" Syntax (here's to looking at you) and a NEC 37"
across the room for my mooies, music, & etc. Both with AGP Radeon
96/98xx series ATI boards. I've OEM ATI graphic drivers for native
1333x768 on these older boards, OMEGA drivers. I don't do TeeVee
jargon, as I don't $ub$cribe anymore since the past 5, 10 years -- QAM
suffices here occasionally for a couple PBS types. Trust me on this.
Remember when CRTs were supplanted with LCDs...well, it's like that.
Get a well-reviewed HDTeeVee and you won't look back twice. Skip the
24" and go for the gusto -- as big "in your face" as you can take.
'PC applications' -- what's that mean? Games?

Confused on what you are saying above.

Do you mean to buy big LCD TVs and use them as PC
monitors and set BACK and do you computing?

If yes..... this works out well for you?

Comfortably, about arm's length, so yes, I can reach and touch the
32", and, oh - hell yes, it works good for me. When I was getting
into it, Syntax was the major player for people interested in
computing on HDTVs. Balance of better features at a competitive
price. This is my second Syntax at something under a couple of years
(first Syntax was kinky and broke, second a warranty upgrade model
replacement with the problems hopefully ironed out). I keep my old 20"
Samsung SyncMaster (swivels for pagemode) only for occasional
troubleshooting or building systems. I'm not following it these days
-- tracking other players, like Vizio.

The 37" NEC was next, (built for more exacting specifications and a
semi-commercial flatpannel) -- that's for across-the-room and SET
BACK, as you say. Music and movies, but it's also a primary function
for being a computer-driven monitor. The advantage to computer/movies
is software transpositions -- leeway running pixelated, say, at
1333x768. Running ATCS off air or QAM on cable is another story.
Preferences enter into it -- what a person is comfortable with: 1) how
close to the monitor, 2) acceptable pixel transitions for media source
matter, 3) is it theatrically Dolby 5.1, 4) HD/BluRay, N to the X) or
the list goes on.

For computing, in my humble opinion, get the biggest, baddest screen
your desk will hold, as close and in-your-face as you feel comfortable
viewing. I think it's great compared to first-generation smaller
screens. (Games and intensive graphics apps I'd disqualify myself).

The 37" across the room might be a little tall here -- never tried it
that way. Too tall means dry uncomfortable eyeballs from looking up
and not blinking naturally. Also was checking out Logitec's
gyroscopic, hand-held "air mouse" and wishing the price were other
than $150. Like to have that for NEC, along with an IR event wake-up
MB I neglected when building the computer for it. Streaching out from
the couch for an IR keyboard and mouse off a coffee table is of course
going to be somewhat awkward.

How can I get the right aspect ratio on an TV LCD Richard Huber Ati Videocards 2 October 22nd 06 06:59 PM
Aspect Ratio Robbie Printers 5 October 12th 05 08:44 AM
ATI TV Aspect Ratio Mercury Ati Videocards 0 September 28th 05 02:27 AM
LCD monitor resolution vs aspect ratio jacoby General 1 December 13th 04 09:31 PM
anybody know how to keep aspect ratio? magnulus Nvidia Videocards 0 August 23rd 03 04:29 AM