My first build

Old July 24th 08, 01:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected][_2_]

Default My first build

In reading the manual, YES I AM READING THE MANUAL,oddly enuogh it says ... and I quote.

This is an AsusP5E-VM HDMI motherboard. Page 2-28

"You must install the Windows XP Service PACK 1 or later version before using Serial ATA hard disk drives."

Now, call me anal, but just how can you install any OS let alone a service pack before using the hard disk
since the hard disk must be used to install the OS?

What am i missing here?

thanks

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.8 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old July 24th 08, 01:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
peter

XP with SP1 has the capability to see your SATA drives and installs the SATA
Controller drivers automatically..
whether you need the F6 method should say in the manual...on most of the
newer Mobo its not required with XP SP1 and above
Then you need to load your MOBO drivers which will place the correct SATA
drivers in place
XP with no SP will not see your HD,,,and you definitely need the F6 method
to install the SATA controller drivers before
XP is capable of being installed.The F6 method requires you to have the
Drivers on a floppy because that's the only place XP will look for them

got it??

peter

Old July 24th 08, 04:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected][_2_]

"brian" wrote in message
In reading the manual, YES I AM READING THE MANUAL,oddly enuogh it says
... and I quote.

This is an AsusP5E-VM HDMI motherboard. Page 2-28

"You must install the Windows XP Service PACK 1 or later version before
using Serial ATA hard disk drives."

Now, call me anal, but just how can you install any OS let alone a service
pack before using the hard disk
since the hard disk must be used to install the OS?

What am i missing here?

thanks

XP with SP1 has the capability to see your SATA drives and installs the SATA
Controller drivers automatically..

whether you need the F6 method should say in the manual...on most of the
newer Mobo its not required with XP SP1 and above

The manual says nothing about F6 method

Then you need to load your MOBO drivers which will place the correct SATA
drivers in place
XP with no SP will not see your HD,,,and you definitely need the F6 method
to install the SATA controller drivers before
XP is capable of being installed.The F6 method requires you to have the
Drivers on a floppy because that's the only place XP will look for them

got it??
peter

No, I don't have it.

At this point in the manual no mention has been made of installing any drivers. Even if there was, the manual is
still saying you cant use a SATA disk until XP SP1 or later is installed.

I must be missing something fundamnetal here. I'm thinking ok, I have my PC assembled and am ready to stick
in the disk to install XP or Vista and thats going to start copying files to my brand new never used SATA drive.
But, oops Asus says I can't use that SATA drive until XP SP1 or later is installed. Seems to me like a catch 22.

Old July 24th 08, 05:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
peter

If you use XP SP1..it will determine that's a SATA drive and load the
drivers from the XP SP1 CD...then install itself.

If you use XP with no SP...there are no drivers on the CD...and you will
need to supply the drivers by means of F6

What the manual is saying is if you use an SP1 disk you can and will install
XP SP1
You cannot use Win 95...WIN 98...WIN 98SE....WIN ME....

Have you tried it yet?? do have a XPSP1 CD???

if not do you know how to make a slipstreamed one??

google is your friend

peter

Old July 24th 08, 05:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
BigJim

the bios will recognize the sata dvd drive and the hard drive. The sp1 will
let you address
the drives bigger than 132 gig.

Old July 24th 08, 10:02 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rarius

"brian" wrote in message
In reading the manual, YES I AM READING THE MANUAL,oddly enuogh it says
... and I quote.

This is an AsusP5E-VM HDMI motherboard. Page 2-28

"You must install the Windows XP Service PACK 1 or later version before
using Serial ATA hard disk drives."

Now, call me anal, but just how can you install any OS let alone a service
pack before using the hard disk
since the hard disk must be used to install the OS?

What am i missing here?

thanks

The XP installation CD you buy (have bought) will probably have SP1 already
built in (may have SP2!). So the installer will see the SATA drives and
install OK.

Rarius

Old July 24th 08, 10:45 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
david

On Thu, 24 Jul 2008 03:08:56 +0000, rearranged some
electrons to say:

"brian" wrote in message
[...]

You are missing something fundamental. If you have XP SP1 or greater,
all you need to do is put the CD in and load it. XP SP1 or SP2 has the
correct drivers on the CD and will install them for you.
Old July 24th 08, 10:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor[_2_]

In article , says...

I must be missing something fundamnetal here.

A brain? LOOK AT THE ****ING INSTALLATION CD.

I'm thinking ok, I have my PC assembled and am ready to stick
in the disk to install XP or Vista and thats going to start copying files to my brand new never used SATA drive.
But, oops Asus says I can't use that SATA drive until XP SP1 or later is installed. Seems to me like a catch 22.

Unless your installation CD is SIX YEARS OLD, it'll be at least SP1.
When a new Service Pack is released, all the installation CDs sold from
that point on have the new service pack integrated.

--
Conor

looking good either. - Scott Adams
Old July 24th 08, 11:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
TVeblen

"brian" wrote in message

"brian" wrote in message
[...]

Motherboard manuals are notoriously sparse on details. They all assume you
do this all the time, they are not written with home-builders in mind. So
the people here are filling in the blanks for you. The advice is sound. The
insults are unsound.