EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT CO SUPERCLOCKED (what does the 'CO' stand for)

Old May 28th 08, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Daniel S

Default EVGA e-GeForce 7600 GT CO SUPERCLOCKED (what does the 'CO' stand for)

I initially liked the review for this card at
http://penstarsys.com/reviews/video/...o/7600gt_2.htm

Finding
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...px?EDC=1421071
at CDW made it seem to fit squarely in my preferred price range
($123) ... however

when I did a price comparison search I came up with the following list
http://www.google.com/products?q=e-G...firefox-a&um=1

Two of the cards that have 'CO' in their name are disproportionately
more expensive (and more in line with the $200 price the reviewer
suggested) [the reviewer also had 'CO' in the card name]. Are they a
different model?

I have not noticed anything about a 'CO' suffix on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geforce

Thanks for your time

Old May 29th 08, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

Two of the cards that have 'CO' in their name are disproportionately
more expensive (and more in line with the $200 price the reviewer
suggested) [the reviewer also had 'CO' in the card name]. Are they a
different model?

I have not noticed anything about a 'CO' suffix on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geforce

Thanks for your time

The websites you have with the "CO" in the listing for the eVGA 7600GT were
simply typos. The correct term eVGA used was KO, not CO. I believe it stood
for "Knock Out" which was their super high performance "trick" name . In any
event, what it really denoted was the highest tier of their factory
overclocked line. The clocks were pushed a bit further than the regular
superclocked ones. In my opinion it's not worth spending the extra coin for
a factory overclocked unit because you are getting the exact same binned
parts as the regular video card, and the regular card will overclock to the
same extent and beyond as the factory overclock job. I had a standard eVGA
7800GTX unit that would overclock to well above and beyond the highest
factory OC unit available with no issues or any type of mods. The 8800GT I
currently have is a factory OC job. I got it because it was the cheapest
8800GT 512Mb card on sale at the time. The new standard 8800GT 512Mb open
cooler units can be pushed further than my shrouded narrow profile 8800GT
simple because the cooling is quieter and more efficient. Still, my 8800GT
is clocked far beyond any factory superclocked unit.The Asus 9600GT I have
is a vanilla one....I have it clocked well beyond the highest superclocked
factory ones with zero other mods. Once I find the correct stable clocks for
my video cards, I prefer to rewrite the BIOS so they boot and operate at
these settings without a 3rd party memory resident app like Rivatuner or
others. Some prefer to not do this.
As for the prices, whenever you are looking at etailers and retailers
carrying old stock, realize that the prices listed on the website may not
make a whole lot of sense. That eVGA 7600GT KO 512Mb card costs more than
some 8800GT 512Mb cards.

Old May 29th 08, 02:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Dr.White

"Daniel S" wrote in message
I initially liked the review for this card at
http://penstarsys.com/reviews/video/...o/7600gt_2.htm

Finding
http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/def...px?EDC=1421071
at CDW made it seem to fit squarely in my preferred price range
($123) ... however

when I did a price comparison search I came up with the following list
http://www.google.com/products?q=e-G...firefox-a&um=1

Two of the cards that have 'CO' in their name are disproportionately
more expensive (and more in line with the $200 price the reviewer
suggested) [the reviewer also had 'CO' in the card name]. Are they a
different model?

I have not noticed anything about a 'CO' suffix on
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geforce

Thanks for your time

What Augustus said, with the following slight addition. The CO suffix is
something that EVGA uses to denote their factory overclocked cards. In their
Geforce 7 series, the tier went something like this:

7800GS - reference clock speed
7800GS OC - slightly overclocked
7800GS CO - overclocked even more
7800GS KO - super-mega overclocked

The same would apply to their 7600GT range. But apart from that factory
clocked BIOS, the cards are identical - same cooler, same circuit board. So
that CO model that you see is the next-to-the-fastest model of that
particular card that was supplied by EVGA. As for what CO stands for,
perhaps we will never know.... Clock Out? Costly Option? Cleverly Overpriced
etc.

Regards,
Dr.White.

Old May 29th 08, 02:51 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Augustus[_3_]

What Augustus said, with the following slight addition. The CO suffix is
something that EVGA uses to denote their factory overclocked cards. In
their Geforce 7 series, the tier went something like this:

7800GS - reference clock speed
7800GS OC - slightly overclocked
7800GS CO - overclocked even more
7800GS KO - super-mega overclocked

The same would apply to their 7600GT range. But apart from that factory
clocked BIOS, the cards are identical - same cooler, same circuit board.
So that CO model that you see is the next-to-the-fastest model of that
particular card that was supplied by EVGA. As for what CO stands for,
perhaps we will never know.... Clock Out? Costly Option? Cleverly
Overpriced etc.

You are correct....it's an obscure one as well. As far as I can tell only
some of the midrange 7XXX series carried this moniker. Unitl I did some
digging after your post I was unaware that it was used in their marketing
efforts. Doesn't quite have a great ring to it...

Old May 29th 08, 04:15 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Daniel S

Thanks, both of you: knowledgeable and useful answers to my question.