Buffalo Terrastation Live

Old September 13th 07, 02:12 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
05hammer

Default Buffalo Terrastation Live

backstory -

I have a POS Buffalo Terrastation Live nas. I want to hang it off
the network and have my backup software use it as a DBB device. This
NAS doesn't support AD. The software that comes with it only runs on
XP.

The manufacturer states in a FAQ on their website that:

"All Buffalo Devices are compatible with Windows Server 2003. The
www.buffalotech.com does not list this operating system because
software that comes with Buffalo Technologies devices will not run on
servers"

the issue -

I have this nas on a vlan that only the 2k3 ADC/DNS server, the 2k3
backup server and my XP client can access via second NICs in the
systems. The nas is not capable of being added to a domain (yeah, WFW
3.11 anyone?). All 3 systems can access the nas's web interface. All
3 systems can ping the nas. Only the XP system can access the shares
on the nas. The 2k3 servers can't - not even if I put "\\hostname
\share" in the address bar. It comes back saying "windows cannot find
\\hostname\share. check the spelling....." even if I put in the IP
address.

What am I overlooking? Is it a domain vs workgroup issue maybe? It
seems it has to be a setting on the 2k3 servers that Is not turned on
or something. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

My DNS 'appears' to be set up correctly also. Our preferred final
solution is to hang this directly off the 2k3 backup server via cat5/
second nic.

Rob

Old September 17th 07, 04:55 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
the wharf rat

In article . com,
05hammer wrote:

What am I overlooking?

Windows firewall?

Can you see the share in the browser?

Old September 17th 07, 01:30 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
05hammer

On Sep 16, 11:55 pm, (the wharf rat) wrote:
In article . com,

05hammer wrote:

What am I overlooking?

Windows firewall?

Can you see the share in the browser?

I can see every share in the domain, but not this thing, but it's not
in the domain. I can get it to work in a test environment I built
last week, but not on this box. I tracked down a few items in the
local group policy that didn't match-up and was actually able to get
the terrastation to replicate teh error on the test network, but when
I changed those settings on the operational server, I still get the
error. So it's back to square one on this today. I'll double-check
the firewall setting to be sure.

Old September 17th 07, 03:09 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Rob Turk[_2_]

oups.com...

05hammer wrote:

What am I overlooking?

Windows firewall?

Can you see the share in the browser?

I can see every share in the domain, but not this thing, but it's not
in the domain. I can get it to work in a test environment I built
last week, but not on this box. I tracked down a few items in the
local group policy that didn't match-up and was actually able to get
the terrastation to replicate teh error on the test network, but when
I changed those settings on the operational server, I still get the
error. So it's back to square one on this today. I'll double-check
the firewall setting to be sure.

Do you run a WINS server on your network? If so, can you make this thing
register on the WINS server?
Rob

Old September 17th 07, 05:07 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
05hammer

oups.com...

05hammer wrote:

What am I overlooking?

Windows firewall?

Can you see the share in the browser?

I can see every share in the domain, but not this thing, but it's not
in the domain. I can get it to work in a test environment I built
last week, but not on this box. I tracked down a few items in the
local group policy that didn't match-up and was actually able to get
the terrastation to replicate teh error on the test network, but when
I changed those settings on the operational server, I still get the
error. So it's back to square one on this today. I'll double-check
the firewall setting to be sure.

Do you run a WINS server on your network? If so, can you make this thing
register on the WINS server?
Rob- Hide quoted text -

no WINS. But I did fix it this morning. We run a security overlay on
our domain that sets "Microsoft Network Client: Digitally sign
communications (always)" to enabled (under local computer policy-
computer configuration -Windows settings-Security settings-Local

policies-Security options). That's what was messing everything up.
I disabled that setting, rebooted, and now the Terrastation is running
off the backup servers second Gig-E Nic just like I wanted it to with
none of the other domain systems able to access the Terrastation at
all.

thanks for the support and Ideas. Turns out all i needed was time and
patience (and a test network).

regards,
Rob.

Old October 2nd 07, 11:44 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Knut

On Sep 13, 6:12 am, 05hammer wrote:
backstory -

I have a POS Buffalo Terrastation Live nas.

I hear you... I was never able to even log in to mine... Regardless of
what the doc says default password should be, and regardless of the
procedures to reset to factory defaults, the web GUI never let me
in...
What's next, I wonder. NetGear maybe