What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

Old May 12th 19, 08:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

Default What happened to cheap reliable ADSL modems ?

I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Old May 12th 19, 10:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

On 5/13/2019 3:15 AM, Shadow wrote:

I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?

Doesn't your ISP give you one?

/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty!
^ ^ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.39.3
¤£*ɶU! ¤£¶BÄF! ¤£½ä¿ú! ¤£´©¥æ! ¤£¥´¥æ! ¤£¥´§T! ¤£¦Û±þ! ¤£¨D¯«!
½Ð¦Ò¼{ºî´© (CSSA):
Old May 12th 19, 10:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

Shadow wrote:
I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA
[]'s

If there are any around, they're probably "End Of Line".

D-Link DSL-520B $55

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16825112008

Broadcom makes a lot of the SOC chips used in
products like that. If Broadcom no longer makes
the low end chips, then TPLink can't make cheap
modem boxes either.

Paul
Old May 12th 19, 11:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

On Mon, 13 May 2019 05:35:51 +0800, "Mr. Man-wai Chang"
wrote:

On 5/13/2019 3:15 AM, Shadow wrote:

I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?

Doesn't your ISP give you one?

They "give" me a kit for US$ 175. This is Brazil.
[]'s
Old May 13th 19, 12:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

On Sun, 12 May 2019 17:50:24 -0400, Paul
wrote:

Shadow wrote:
I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA
[]'s

If there are any around, they're probably "End Of Line".

D-Link DSL-520B $55

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16825112008

(Ships from Canada, which means it's become extinct in the US. I did
see that page while I was searching)

Broadcom makes a lot of the SOC chips used in
products like that. If Broadcom no longer makes
the low end chips, then TPLink can't make cheap
modem boxes either.

TPLink Brasil no longer imports or assembles ADSL hardware.
Zero hits.

I found one offer he
https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...te-thomson-_JM

Divide by 4 for price in dollars. US$ 15,00, must be old
stock. (they are unused, I wonder how long they last when not in use ?
Can the capacitors leak or dry up ?).

------------------------------------

I'll probably go with this one. Wish it didn't have antennas:

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/...mbps-preto-_JM

Just over US$ 30,00. Still produced. Reliable shop.

https://www.dlink.com.br/produto/rot...dem-adsl2n300/

D-Link still makes solid hardware, right ?
[]'s

Old May 13th 19, 12:59 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sun, 12 May 2019 16:15:45 -0300, Shadow wrote:

I bought 2 D-Link DSL 500B modems a while ago at $US 20,00
each.
Lightning struck, so I replaced the one that was there, but
all I can find locally are expensive "super" Wifi ADSL modems to buy
as a spare.
Any good solid reliable "simple" models still being made ?
(with just a phone jack, an Ethernet jack and a power supply)
Just the model number please, I won't be buying in the US.
TIA

Me, too.

I've a couple new in boxes. Destined for the trash barrel.

It's the cost of business. People, some, can actually wipe their
butts with $175US here, so they'll pay that monthly for carrier fees,
apparently to turn around and tell you to your face it's good. (I was
reading one do precisely just that for a contributing writer to
ArsTechnica publications.)

Apart from the Golden Rule: He who has the Gold makes rules whatever,
it takes, the market will bear.

The subsequent marketing groan-point, last I looked, is $90 monthly
for relative trash, here today and gone tomorrow renters, and a likes,
with money but less certainty.

Certainty will get adjusted to $60 monthly for lowest of high-tier,
marketable service on WEB signal reliability.

Because it's always faster, better and newer.

(Just like everybody else, since the SIP Telcos ramroded the FTC into
placement for closer to a private domain, farther from a regulatory
nature of utilities such as electricity or water.)

No exceptions, pal. Not even big firemen with the bullhorns.

You first must prove, to government, you've a taxable income at
something below $17K/US yearly to qualify for housing project or
similar Internet Service rates of $30 monthly.

Disclaimer: All the above applies to the Urban Front, where there is,
ostensibly, at least a resemblance of a free market in competition.

Not to worry: The Few and Proud, the Controlling All Have's are now
interested in being perceived for a humanitarian front, so they say,
among such efforts as satellite providers may provide for a rest of
Have-Nots.

As for the modem, the Rule, as of course it always has been, is that
they prefer you do not -- but the $5 monthly fee, itemized in addition
-- for such a piece of crap, as is mine, as since replaced when
lightening fried their last model, six times the size of this one.

I now average about x15 faster, than my last ASDL, for twice rates,
among a highest charged in the world.
Old May 13th 19, 01:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul[_28_]

wrote:

Shadow wrote:
[...]

For the DSL2740e, the chipset is a RealTek product. With no visible
RAM chip. I didn't even know RealTek made such things. The RAM
complement is 16MB, the flash 2MB.

https://ryan.com.br/blogs/quicktalk/...e/&prev=search

Properly designed electrolytic caps don't dry out instantly. They're
supposed to last for 17 years, based on the quality of the bottom seal.
Electrolytic caps where the pH is wrong chemically, eat through
the metal in a couple of years. And that's the "bad" electrolyte
formula.

Paul

Old May 13th 19, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

wrote:

Shadow wrote:
[...]

Interesting site you found. Remove the "/&prev=search" from
your link and we discover that the default password is the MAC Address
-1
IOW
If the MAC address is BA-DB-AD-BA-DB-AD
The password would be
BADBADBADBAC

IOW wide open to any hacker.
I think that's the password to access the firmware.
Not the usual admin/admin or whatever for the user interface.

I'll buy one of the two above and test it ....
TY
[]'s
Old May 13th 19, 03:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

On Mon, 13 May 2019 14:28:20 +0200, Yrrah
wrote:

Shadow :

I won't be buying in the US.

Lucky you...
"Timely Trump tariffs tax tech totally: 25 per cent levy on modems,
fiber optics, networking gear, semiconductors
It's the art of the deal, folks"
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/0...trump_tariffs/

I'm sure he sold his shares before making that "tough
decision".

;-) ;-) ;-)

Well, I thought, what if it was a hack and not the lightning ?
The LAN was working fine, only the internet side (last led)
was off. I had nothing to lose.
So I put the old modem back in, re-flashed with the same
firmware, imported my settings (I have them on a DVD I made 5 years
ago), and it's working 100%.

Serves me right for torrenting "sensitive" documents, I
suppose.
[]'s