Ram for Toshiba notebook A100-331

Old February 7th 14, 04:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
freejazz[_2_]

Default Ram for Toshiba notebook A100-331

Hi, the differents sites for detection and the purchasing of
memories for
notebook say that you can install 2Gb a
slot for 4GB maximum (2slot) and instead *some rather 1Gb per slot..
Which one is reliable?
Answer: that of Toshiba.
But you cannot find my model because maybe now too outdated.
Maybe with the upgrade of the bios can you get 4Gb as
max memory?
The system has Win XP installed.
Thank you for your attention!
--
sent from Android system phone - Rome, Italy

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://www.piaohong.tk/newsgroup
Old February 7th 14, 05:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

freejazz wrote:

Hi, the differents sites for detection and the purchasing of
memories for
notebook say that you can install 2Gb a
slot for 4GB maximum (2slot) and instead some rather 1Gb per slot..
Which one is reliable?
Answer: that of Toshiba.
But you cannot find my model because maybe now too outdated.
Maybe with the upgrade of the bios can you get 4Gb as
max memory?
The system has Win XP installed.
Thank you for your attention!

Pretty hard to guess without specs.

T2300 Core Duo ?
945GM chipset ?

You might be able to verify those, using CPU-Z program
from cpuid.com .

This picture, is a page out of the 945GM datasheet (Intel)

http://i61.tinypic.com/2wfs1oz.gif

It appears to be limited to 2x2GB, assuming there
actually are two SODIMM sockets in the machine.

Another physical limitation, is 945GM has only
32 bits of address on the FSB bus. Which is another
way to prevent more than 4GB from being used.
The processor has 36 bit addressing, but the chipset
is only 32 bit.

T2300

2x2GB --- 945GM

ICH7M

http://ark.intel.com/inc/images/diagrams/diagram-5.gif

There are still risks with this upgrade, in that you
should be using Google to find examples of A100 owners
with 4GB installed. The type of SODIMM I would expect
to work, would look like this (16 chips total, double sided).
Crucial is careful to hide their composition info, so
we can't verify it via the Crucial site.

http://img.rakuten.com/PIC/32403503/...0/32403503.jpg

Some BIOS have a problem with the higher density modules,
in that nobody "tuned" the memory parameters in the BIOS
for them. I have an Asrock motherboard, where the hardware
takes a 2GB DDR2 DIMM, but the BIOS is only tuned for
1GB DDR2. And the 2GB DDR2, when installed, makes errors.
Therefore, I had to remove the 2GB DIMMs and not use them.
So there is some risk involved, and you should find
evidence at least one person got it to work correctly.

http://img.rakuten.com/PIC/32403503/...0/32403503.jpg

When I checked the Kingston (valueram.com) site, the 2GB
DIMM specified looks like this.

http://www.pcsuperstore.com/prod-img...3514-image.jpg

Newegg has pictures of both sides of that module, and it
is a 16 chip module. So I think this is the kind of
module you'd be looking for.

Crucial sells DDR2-667 CL=5 (CL = CAS Latency) in 2x2GB kit.

So now all you have to do, is find an article about A100
with 4GB total installed, where the user knows how to
test, and the unit is stable.

HTH,
Paul
Old February 8th 14, 01:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
freejazz[_2_]

Paul ha scritto:

[...]

Thank you very much, Paul.
At link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/y9vntqv8xy...argh-ant_brett
i-notbookToshiba.jpg
you have informations about subjected notebook.
The notebook is not mine but my friend is the owner.
I'll tell him for CpuZ prog to identify the chipset.
As you can check on my linked photo the cpu is T2050 at 1,60Ghz freq.
I have just bought two banks of ram and the online seller has just
secure that the ram (2x2) will work.
I hope that it will be so to avoid useless shippings..

I remember i had an old desktop pc that cannot work without an
upgrade of bios firmware for a more performance cpu..
I hope that now it will not be so for ram