Internet Explorer 8 went flaky

Old February 5th 14, 02:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

Default Internet Explorer 8 went flaky

I run IE8 and XP. I do most browsing in Firefox but for Windows
Updates and a few other things I must use IE. Today IE8 refuses to
initialize unless I right-click choose Start Without Addons. At one
point I would get a message about some Reminder failing with what
looked like a memory address. The error seemed to changed when I
disabled WeCare addon, or at least the second part of it (the first
part had 'Disable' greyed out. I Removed WeCare in XP's Add/Remove
Programs - no help with problem. IE8 starts to open, then immediately
closes without error message - unless I choose to open without
add-ons. There are a BUNCH of add-ons and pretty laborious to Disable
one at a time. Also I suspect that it might require a re-boot to fully
settle the change into the system to test my change. Any suggestions?
Old February 5th 14, 03:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mr. Man-wai Chang

IE 8 is losing support, upgrade!

http://www.webmonkey.com/2012/09/goo...-8-windows-xp/

--
@~@ Remain silent. Nothing from soldiers and magicians is real!
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and farces be with you!
Old February 5th 14, 03:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Nil[_4_]

On 05 Feb 2014, John B. Smith wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Also I suspect that it might
require a re-boot to fully settle the change into the system to
test my change. Any suggestions?

Yes: reboot.

Old February 6th 14, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Off-topic...

I suppose you've moved up by now, gotten rid of your DX48BT2, but
just in case... Intel's Desktop Control Center utility works with
it (as of a while back). The user interface is too big IMO, but it
has lots of nice indicators and settings.

That's just FYI.
Old February 6th 14, 01:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe

Nildo the troll...

From: Nil rednoise9 REMOVETHIScomcast.net
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: Internet Explorer 8 went flaky
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 10:05:42 -0500

On 05 Feb 2014, John B. Smith crasso verizon.net wrote in

Old February 6th 14, 10:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 01:47:40 +0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

Off-topic...

I suppose you've moved up by now, gotten rid of your DX48BT2, but
just in case... Intel's Desktop Control Center utility works with
it (as of a while back). The user interface is too big IMO, but it
has lots of nice indicators and settings.

That's just FYI.

What the heck is Dx48BT2?
Thanks a lot guys for your comments, but I finally found the culprit.
A IE8 add-on that was named something like 'automatic tab searches'
that deinstalled thru Add/Remove Programs and now all is well again. I
also ran Kaspersky's Rescue Disc on the system afterward and it found
2 Trojans. Probably not related to my problem.
Old February 6th 14, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

John Doe jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote:

Off-topic...

I suppose you've moved up by now, gotten rid of your DX48BT2, but
just in case... Intel's Desktop Control Center utility works with
it (as of a while back). The user interface is too big IMO, but it
has lots of nice indicators and settings.

That's just FYI.

What the heck is Dx48BT2?

A very simple search for "DX48BT2" immediately answers that question.

Old February 6th 14, 06:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Nil[_4_]

On 05 Feb 2014, John Doe wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Nildo the troll...

Grow up. If you don't approve of my advice, why don't you say why
instead of whimpering like a baby.

My advice was serious. The guy made changes and then wondered why he
couldn't tell if they were effective without rebooting. The answer is,
"reboot and find out for sure."