SMTP "999" errors with Panasonic network camera

Old January 2nd 07, 06:55 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.mail.misc
Jack

Default SMTP "999" errors with Panasonic network camera

I have a Panasonic BL-C20A wireless network camera running through a
cheap (yet apparently fine) Airlink AR325W router. An Airlink AIC250W
wireless network camera is also in my home network. This is a Fry's brand
sold under other names like TrendNet.

Both cameras work well but the Panasonic has mysterious email-sending
problems. For half a day it sent emails fine via motion sensor and timer
but suddenly it kept giving errors, which the Panasonic logs shows as
"Division 7" "Code 999" (SMTP protocol).

Wireless signal strength is usually listed as 22%+ ("normal") per the BL-
C20A's status page. Both cameras rarely lose the signal. I don't think
the default SMPT port (25) is the problem because the Airlink camera
never had email issues, even though the ISP blocks port 25 for spammers.
I don't fully understand how that might relate. What alternate ports are
there?

IP addresses for both cameras are static, UPnP and DHCP are disabled and
port forwarding works fine with Panasonic's www.viewnetcam.com. I am able
to access that site for both cameras by appending the port # to the URL.
I have verified that both cameras match the router's settings (to the
best of my ability).

SMTP authentication username/password was never needed for the Airlink
camera but for a few hours I thought it was the key to the Panasonic's
email problems. I now think it was just coincidence and the ISP ignores
authentication. No reason one camera would need it and not the other.

Have other owners of Panasonic network cameras experienced email glitches
and found a cure? Should I look at the router before blaming the camera,
even though a much cheaper camera sends email fine through it? Error code
"999" seems to be an unexplained generic hangup. In general, what is the
most common email problem with network cameras? Thanks for any help.

Jack
Old January 5th 07, 12:22 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.webcam,comp.mail.misc
[email protected]

Jack wrote:
I have a Panasonic BL-C20A wireless network camera running through a
cheap (yet apparently fine) Airlink AR325W router. An Airlink AIC250W
wireless network camera is also in my home network. This is a Fry's brand
sold under other names like TrendNet.

Both cameras work well but the Panasonic has mysterious email-sending
problems. For half a day it sent emails fine via motion sensor and timer
but suddenly it kept giving errors, which the Panasonic logs shows as
"Division 7" "Code 999" (SMTP protocol).

snip

The error message is vendor proprietary. I doubt you will find out
what it means.

I really think the problem is interference or loss of signal on the
wireless connection. For testing, move the camera close enough to the
router to connect via ethernet cable, and leave it for a few days. I
predict the problem will go away. You might also try pinging the camera
from the PC, but ping packets are very short, and might have fewer
problems.

The ISP doesn't know if your mail is coming from the PC or the camera,
or which camera. So if authentication is not used on one, it needn't
be used on any other. If it were required by your ISP, I predict you
would have grave difficulties with the cameras at all times.

Daniel Feenberg
feenberg isat nber dotte org

Help with cd-r [email protected] Cdr 17 January 16th 06 05:53 AM
Can anyone suggest a motherboard? 0700-Vans Cdr 5 January 5th 06 11:33 PM
I really need help!!! 0700-Vans Cdr 19 January 1st 06 05:25 PM
Need to feed a network camera image to up to 100 viewers Rick Webcams 4 January 7th 04 05:39 AM
Questions about Panasonic KX-HCM10 Network Camera Harry Forsdick Webcams 0 September 25th 03 01:32 AM